Aussie Rules - Help please

Rob W

The AFL has 16 teams - but they only play 22 games (not 30 as you'd expect) before they start the ridiculous  :idiot2: :idiot2: series of finals for the top 8 teams

Questions:-

1.  How do they decide who plays who and where in the first part of the season?  Presumably everyone plays everyone else sometime but some teams must only play each other once - who decides if that is home or away??

2.  What do the bottom 8 do when all the finals are being played?  Go on holiday??

Its like the NRL.

1.Playing each team twice would be fairer but the season would take too long. Im pretty sure its a random draw, however I could be wrong. Each team would have 11 home games.

2. I know with League they go on holiday for a couple of months, so its probably the same.

The sport is a lot tougher and harder on the body than soccer.

The weather would come into account too if the season was longer. Rugby is a winter game, and it cant be played in hot conditions.

And I suppose also the interest would not be there. Also AFL and League revolve around the finals system, which means that halfway through the normal season you can pretty much figure out who will make it or not, so it is pointless playing more meaningless games.

I find American sports to be strange with the amount of games they place.

NFL only play what 12? or so rounds. And only goes for 4 months or so.

On the otherhand Basketball and Baseball teams, play 3 or 4 times a week. An insane amount!

On the otherhand Basketball and Baseball teams, play 3 or 4 times a week. An insane amount!

NFL play 16 games over 17 weeks

NHL/NBA play 82 games before the playoffs. The playoffs go for what seems like two months.

MLB play 162

Aussie rules is a crazy sport. Don't know much about it, but if I see it's on, I can't look away.

Baseball is pretty laid back though, doesn't really require a lot of exertion. So playing day after day is no real problem for them, similar to cricket.

Basketball requires a lot more exertion but there's not a lot of physical contact so they can play more often. I still find it very impressive how many games they can play in quick succession though with the amount of running involved.

American Football they couldn't really play a lot more, it's just too physically demanding with the number of hits they take. Rosters would be whittled down too much due to injury if the season was any longer.