Michael Owen

Kitman

Not heard a thing from our club captain through all of this.  I can't see him sticking around any longer than he has to now - the only question is whether he goes in January or at the end of the season on a free.  Agree/disagree?

Guest Geordiecunny

Best of luck to the lad. He deserves to be playing for a better run club than this.

Fair point, but so do half of our players.

It's in his best interests to wait until the summer and leave on a free. No transfer fee will obviously mean the buying club can afford to pay him a bit more than they normally would have.

That said, I don't think he's struggling financially and if he's had enough of the soap opera up here then he might well go in January, albeit taking a bit less home every week.

Capello (not) picking him for England will play a big role too.

We'll end up with the shitty end of the stick regardless but the whole situation should have been resolved one way or the other a long time ago. :(

he'd be out of his tree to sign a new deal.

anyone would be mad to sign up to this bollocks.

we're lucky that this happened when the window closed, so they are stuck here, or we would have ended up with a few more departures, high profile one's at that.

I can't imagine any of the better players will stay through this crap!

The next manager would have to be of the ilk of Mourinho to make them think we're going places. All teams will be looking at our squad and taking their pick over who they want. Imagine this happened at a club like Everton. We'd be having a field day, bids for their players left right and centre (if we were a stable well run club)

I can't imagine any of the better players will stay through this crap!

The next manager would have to be of the ilk of Mourinho to make them think we're going places. All teams will be looking at our squad and taking their pick over who they want. Imagine this happened at a club like Everton. We'd be having a field day, bids for their players left right and centre (if we were a stable well run club)

This is the thing I fear most. The shit that Ashley is, and is going to continue, to get might just persuade him to sell any decent player we have for whatever he can and claw back as much of his outlay in the process. We replace them with shit and drop down the league. He then sells the club to whoever wants it for half of what he paid and walks away maybe £25m down. We get relegated the next season.

It doesn't bear thinking about but who's going to stop him? He runs the whole show. Pissing him off may not be such a good idea.

*prays someone comes along and says he can't legally do any of the above*

If there is a silver lining to all this it's that Barton, Smith, Butt, Duff and Owen are history.

They haven't done enough for the club in their time here.

Owen is a superstar though.  He may not have been value for money but he would attract players to the club.  I wonder how much they made of that to the likes of Coloccini and Jonas.  They won't have sold it off the back of Nicky fucking Butt

If there is a silver lining to all this it's that Barton, Smith, Butt, Duff and Owen are history.

They haven't done enough for the club in their time here.

Oh yes it's the best thing in the world that the best goalscorer we've had since shearer will leave.

I just hated Owen's goals that kept us up last season. Why didn't he **** off a year earlier, that way we wouldn't have needed to try and sell Sholla in order for him to find his level in the Championship.