Keegan. Yesterday's man ?

Benwell Lad

First of all let me say it, I love Kevin Keegan, a genuine man and a people's person. I loved watching him play in black and white, I loved what he brought to us as a manager. When he returned in January like many I was misty eyed and tried to believe the "Messiah's return" was the best thing for us, but deep down inside me there were serious doubts about whether he would truly be up to the job of modern day football management.

It seems that towards the end of his latest tenure as manager at Newcastle he fought a losing battle in trying to resist the modern football trend of a management team running the business and recruitment side of the club and a coach looking after the team, training and matches.

Sadly whether we like it or not English football will gradually adopt the system they already have in Spain,Italy, Germany and France etc and in a few years there will be no managers as such, only head coaches like Scolari at Chelsea. 

I'm sorry it ended like it did for Keegan and that he was unable to iron out the differences, after all he was building a good team and he himself was pleased with a lot of the recruitment to date and I really wish that even when he regarded his position as untenable that he couldn't have said "OK I'm being paid millions this isn't working but I'll stay with the players until a successor is found" thereby avoiding the present shambolic state of affairs.

Sorry you went King Kev, but life WILL go on. We will continue supporting Newcastle, although right now it feels hard to do so, I guess the only reason we're so upset is because we truly love the club.

I hope whoever succeeds KK will be given a fair chance by us, the fans, and that he will be able to adapt to the way football seems to be evolving.

Guest guinness_fiend

Excellent post, but I think you may need one of these...

http://gallery.nen.gov.uk/gallery_images/0711/0000/0162/tin_hat_2_mid.jpg

Guest Sniffer

And ashley is probably relying on the fact that 50,000 mugs will turn up every game. He's possibly sitting in London somewhere gloating about that with wise and his cockney cronies and laughing at the thick geordie bastards. A good larf at that.

Unfortunately the cap fits.

Guest toonlass

Rubbish. Does Alex Ferguson resort to a continental style? Has it made Manure any less successful? Keegan wanted to be team manager, which is what his job title was. I do not believe he took the job thinking that within 2 weeks a director of football would be appointed, and ever imagined that someone like Denis Wise would occupy that position.

The reason he did not sit and continue to collect his wages was that he is a man of principal. It would not sit comfortably with him. We bemoan footballers who do that so why would we accept a manager who did it. I do not believe Keegan is yesterday's man. I believe that he, like the fans, was sold a dream by Ashley and co that simply did not materialise.

i can honestly imagine Ashley being gutted at the whole situation. There's no way he wanted to  be in the position he's in now. But, if he or someone else hasnt chose wise, Jiminez, Vetre etc over KK then he has put himself in this position. KK was starting to do a job here, the football was improving, and i really had high hopes for this season and looking forward to watching some exciting football. So no, imo, KK was/is not yesterdays man.

Guest NorthernSoul

I think (on this seasons evidence), Keegan could well go on and get a job elsewhere. Just ask West Ham fans whether they'd have him?

I think (on this seasons evidence), Keegan could well go on and get a job elsewhere. Just ask West Ham fans whether they'd have him?

Yes, I'm sure Keegan just completely missed Curbishley's reasons for leaving. :idiot2:

Well, I really have respect for Keegan and his decision and my opinion might not be popular here on the board but I think in the long run the club will benefit from his departure. I mean times have changed sicne the mid 90's. We are not the force we once used to be. Keegan might be the people's favourite - but would he have had success this time around too? I honestly believe NO. He might have kept us in the top half of the league - but let's be honest this wouldn't count as success. We underperformed in the last few seasons - Keegan might saved us from the drop last year - but there might have been other manager who would'Ve done the same I suppose. We've lost the first 9 (!!!) games under his regime. Not so "special".

As a player might have reached "the heights" of professional footbal. As manager he almost did the last time around he was at Newcastle. As England manager and at City he failed. Maybe he wanted to finish the job here at Newcastle - but times have changed and even King Kev should have realised that. Not just now. Also in January this year. We need a manager who gets out the most of a decent squad with some star players and not a manger who finishes in a decent position with a squad full of "superstars". Bring in the right guy, Mr. Ashley - I believe you'll do the best for the club.

I hope whoever succeeds KK will be given a fair chance to do it his own way and that he will be able to adapt to the way football seems to be evolving.

Massive contradiction surely?

I can't see him working elsewhere. If he can walk out of this job twice, one which he loves, what chance of him sticking around at a place he doesn't? Only a crap club like Bolton or Hull will let him have his own way on everything, and he won't be interested in that sort of job.

And ashley is probably relying on the fact that 50,000 mugs will turn up every game. He's possibly sitting in London somewhere gloating about that with wise and his cockney cronies and laughing at the thick geordie bastards. A good larf at that.

Unfortunately the cap fits.

They may be the problem but the scenario you descibe is very unlikely.

I hope whoever succeeds KK will be given a fair chance to do it his own way and that he will be able to adapt to the way football seems to be evolving.

Massive contradiction surely?

Sorry about that, what I meant was I hope we, the fans, the most important people, give him a chance and don't get on his back straight away because of what went on before he arrived.

Interesting point made about the football improving this season.

Where exactly did you see that?

A draw at OT against a severely under-strength Man Utd side - Good result

A very fortunate victory against a well organised Bolton team that shot themselves in the foot.

Taken to extra time by a mediocre championship team in the cup

and pissed on from a great height by a current top 4 team that gave us a huge lesson in football.

Yep, a great bloody improvement.,

Rubbish. Does Alex Ferguson resort to a continental style? Has it made Manure any less successful? Keegan wanted to be team manager, which is what his job title was. I do not believe he took the job thinking that within 2 weeks a director of football would be appointed, and ever imagined that someone like Denis Wise would occupy that position.

The reason he did not sit and continue to collect his wages was that he is a man of principal. It would not sit comfortably with him. We bemoan footballers who do that so why would we accept a manager who did it. I do not believe Keegan is yesterday's man. I believe that he, like the fans, was sold a dream by Ashley and co that simply did not materialise.

Sadly Ferguson may prove to be the last of the old school at the very top level of the game.

Interesting point made about the football improving this season.

Where exactly did you see that?

A draw at OT against a severely under-strength Man Utd side - Good result

A very fortunate victory against a well organised Bolton team that shot themselves in the foot.

Taken to extra time by a mediocre championship team in the cup

and pissed on from a great height by a current top 4 team that gave us a huge lesson in football.

Yep, a great bloody improvement.,

Have you seen those games though? The football we've played has massively improved, can't see how anyone can dispute that.

Man Utd still had a quality team out.

We struggled a bit against Bolton true, but they were very negative and we still got a result.

I was at the Coventry game, we could easily have obliterated them by 4 or 5 if things had run our way.

Aye we got hammered by Arsenal, but no team in the league would have taken anything that day.

Proof is in the pudding in management and KK was far from yesterdays man!

His results, and more importantly, performances whilst toon manager were blossoming with each game and it seems I had caught the same KK bug as most!

The man is so infectious and really made me fall in love with football, and most importantly NUFC, during his tenure this time round!(as was before!)

We were all looking forward to what could have been a very good, and definetly exciting season!

The problem here is KK is an honest professional, and most importantly, a fan of this club.

He clearly was told he would be given full control of managing the club, transfer etc. or I doubt he would have returned. This soon changed with the COCKneys coming in, and I believe KK would have thought he would wait to see how the summer window goes, probably even being told from above that he would get x amount of money to spend and bring in the players he wanted/knew could bring the club forward.

This transpired not to be the case and it seems coupling this with underhand sales of our players was enough to test his morals and walk.

I would say KK has now totally given up on the game of football as it is dying as we know it, and I for one am starting to head that way too!

Guest Darth Toon

It isn't about the system, it's about principles and courtesy.

KK wouldn't have a problem with having people help identify players etc, he just wanted the final say, which he clearly wasn't being allowed. Name me any manager who would be happy with players being sold behind his back and others brought in without his knowledge?

That implies the DOF role is the future. Which is a load of bollocks, Wait until a team as a tiny bit of success with it in this country before claiming thats what we should all be doing. The Premier League and Champions League winners are doing fine without one.

Everton, Blackburn, Villa, Boro, Sunderland, Arsenal, Liverpool are doing fine without one.