Another squad overhaul?

Theregulars

One reprocussion which hasn't really been discussed with all the debate about what we the fans will do as a reaction is what's going to happen to the squad. There's a whole host of them that I can't see staying. If the papers are to be believed, Barton is effectively gone as Keegan was the only one who wanted him here, same with Smith (good). Owen will leave, I reckon he will have had enough of this nonsense and the only man pushing for him to get his new contract is gone. Can see players like Nicky Butt, Shay Given, Steven Taylor becoming seriously disillusioned. A

To be honest, if any half-decent or bigger club comes in for any number of our players bar the new recruits I think they'll want to leave.

Agreed. This debacle has serious implications for the longer term, not only for player retention, but also for player recruitment too. It's still salvageable at this stage, though...provided we can recruit a credible replacement for Keegan as manager. But can we?

This sort of obstacle shouldn't affect the players too much....if they are professionals...I'd like to thinnk the older ones on the squad will describe that to the younger and newer lads.  I'd like to think the Givens, the Tayls, the Butts and Geremis will explain that they've seen tough situations like this before. Sulking and demanding a leave is an easy way out. While they remain loyal to KK and were loving working with him - as professional footballers they need to not let the younger and newer members think too hard on it.

In my opinion, a strong leader, a strong captain or an old head who is respected can rally the troops and tell them to fight on and proove to the naysayers, play for KK's honor, play for hte new manager coming in, play for the loyal supporters or whatever reason they want to use.  Where's Big Al, Speedo, or Rob Lee when you need them?

If the lads on the squad are so upset about KK leaving and want to leave as well, I guess I can understand that. But if KK had a chance to talk to them one more time, I would imagine he would tell them to play their socks off, play for the fans, and prove to the board and anyone else that this club's playing staff is United. KK may have been their leader, and that the players are playing for him - but in reality, they are playing for the Toon Army and the supporters of the club.

God I wish Big Al was around sometimes, his presence in that dressing room - I would see him being hurt by the departure of KK...

My inspirational romantic part of me is still speaking - sorry lads if what I wrote isn't as composed as it can be. Random thoughts at the office today.

(double post)

i guess what i'm trying to say is there is a time to be upset and be angry. and they have every right to question the board and its intentions. But in the end of the day, they have to move on....

Just my opinion, hope i'm not pissin anybody off.

Like i keep saying - i'm still in shock about all of this. Just 1 week ago I was telling people how great it is to have a passionate owner like Fat Mike with KK in charge...Head is still spinning

Actually this is one of the reasons why more clubs are going down the route of employing coaches instead of old style managers. it means that you DON'T need a squad overhaul every time a new manager comes along, as their job is to work with what they've - got by and large. I would say any players leaving were probably going to get shipped out anyway. Barton, Smith, possibly Owen and Duff, were all players that were ear-marked for the exit, regardless of who comes in or even if KK stayed.

The players who are considered value for their wages will definitely be encouraged to stay.

if the new manager doesn't rate players he will encourage the club to shift them. so there'll be a fair few leaving, alongside those that must be virtually guaranteed to be gone like Owen and Barton.

actually i reckon Jonas will be off next summer, matches the supposed aims of bringing players in relatively cheaply and selling them on for a higher price. when we receive a £10m bid next summer ashley will see it as representing good value. get used to being a car dealership that trades in players, buying low and selling high, with a football club attached to the side of it.

Guest rebel_yell12

I think Barton will be gone, as I suspect that Keegan's position on him was a major sticking point.  I think Duff will stay until a replacement will be brought in, simply because even this board must see that the squad is thin enough.  Same with Smith.  Those three gone frees up a lot of money, really (I think upwards of 150k per week) that could be used to pay 4 new players, all on around 40k per week, or 5 players on around 30k per week.  That's really the sort of deal Newcastle need to look at if they want to keep a reasonable wage bill because they desperately need more bodies. 

Everyone assumes Owen will leave, but I'm not as sure.  I honestly think he's starting to settle into the club (finally) and if the fans continue to support him I think he might stay.  If the club gets someone quality in to manage and has a good season (say, 7th-9th) it would be in his interest to stay, imo.  He can be a legend at Newcastle if he continues on his current vein of form, and I think he enjoys the fans at Newcastle.  I doubt ANYONE is enjoying the mess inside the club right now, but the fans/city/atmosphere is incredible (at least, Owen always seems to have positive things to say about them).  I also don't think he'd want to leave for just any club -- it'd be the northwest or Newcastle, I should think.  So that leaves him with one of the Manchester clubs, one of the Liverpool clubs, or Blackburn?  We will know in a week if he truly needs to worry about his England spot, and aside from that, I think the fans can be a very decisive factor in Owen's remaining or departing.  The KOP never took to him, really, and I think he could be swayed by true support from the fans. 

I seem to remember rampant fears in January that Owen would be miserable and demand a transfer because he didn't get on with Keegan -- and that turned into a mutual admiration society.  I don't expect Owen to rush to sign a new contract, though -- we won't hear any more about it until October at the earliest, I should think (see how the new manager is working out, etc.).  I am mildly concerned that the club was apparently trying to sell him without adequate replacement.  There are some players that should not be for sale, imo, if the club wants to move up the table.  All others, if replacements are brought in (and thus far, the new boys all seem to be good replacements for those who left -- barring Milner) are expendable.  The list of "untouchables":  Given, Harper, Beye, Colo, Jonas, Martins & Owen.  I include both goalkeepers because, as last season showed, having a high-quality replacement can be vitally important.  I think those players provide a top-quality backbone to the team.  I would be hesitant to move on several other players who are young and show a lot of promise: Bassong, Taylor, Guthrie & Enrique primarily.

I guess if its the board making all the signings it wont really matter which manager it is and there wont be a squad revamp with each new manager coming in  :cheesy: :idiot2:

Good point, but I see that as a positive thing.

Agreed, the only ones that will go are the average performers who are on massive wages that the fans don't want here.

Owen will likely go too but I don't think he'd have signed a new contract anyway.

I think Owen did want to stay with Keegan as manager but I think he will want to be off now especially with the Club trying to tout him round other clubs on Monday if the papers are to be believed.  However, I think he will have limited choices so he may end up staying.

If that rumour about £10m next to Given's name on that list of players shown to Keegan, then I think he may be forced out.  Given and Harper (for a reserve) have long been assumed to have been on good wages so I would not be surprised to see one of them sold and a younger keeper used as back-up.

I don't think Barton will play again for the Club unless there is an injury crisis and will be gone in January.  They were trying to sell Smith as well.  Along with Duff, I would have no problems with selling Barton and Smith.  Also, think Butt and Viduka will not be here next year.

However, it depends on who they bring in as the manager and how quickly he adapts to the club.  If the team are playing really well and moving up the table, then I am sure a few dissatisified players would be won round.

And I agree with an earlier poster, if Jonas continues to impress as he has done so far, I think other clubs will be in for him next Summer and the Club will be happy to make a profit.