The summer budget was 12m??!

Parky

So in reality Keegan had the opportunity to strengthen the entire first team with a player of James Milner's quality. He was also meant to compete with the likes of Aston Villa, Spurs and Portsmouth who have spent considerably more than 12m.

If it's true and they are on about being more like Arsenal than Chelski I'd like to know if they really think Arsenal actually have a net spend of 12m yen or thereabouts every window. The tragedy is we didn't even get close to that pitiful sum - by Premiership standards - and were outspent by the other teams.

So in reality Keegan had the opportunity to strengthen the entire first team with a player of James Milner's quality. He was also meant to compete with the likes of Aston Villa, Spurs and Portsmouth who have spent considerably more than 12m.

Didn't they make a bigger net profit in transfers than us?

Well, for a start, Arsenal are well-established, consistent ranked in EPL, has nice and upcoming players available... hence 12 million to Arsenal coupled with the sale of established players or fringe players may work.

However, looking at Newcastle and its players... they are not even half of Arsenal yet. 12 million in what is termed the first season of rebuilding seems a tad too little.

If it's true and they are on about being more like Arsenal than Chelski I'd like to know if they really think Arsenal actually have a net spend of 12m yen or thereabouts every window. The tragedy is we didn't even get close to that pitiful sum - by Premiership standards - and were outspent by the other teams.

This Arsenal lark is a red herring.

They has already won the PL in 91 and the FA Cup in 95 prior to Wengers appointment in 96.

"Arsene replaced Bruce Rioch at Highbury in 1996 but prior to officially joining the Gunners from the J-League, Arsenal had, under the Frenchman's advice, signed two French players. They were Remi Garde from Strasbourg and Patrick Vieira from AC Milan. More Frenchmen soon joined the Gunners including Emmanuel Petit (Monaco) and Nicolas Anelka (Paris St Germain). Dutch winger Marc Overmars also joined the club from Ajax Amsterdam."

http://www.4thegame.com/club/arsenal-fc/manager-profile/44/arsenewenger.html

I have just read an article on newsnow which raised a good point. I would link but I don't know how! Anyway it raises the point that in the official magazine of nufc, Mike Ashley says, "If the deal is right - and that means the right player who Kevin wants - then we will do that deal. Kevin is very particular on who he wants." But now the club argue, "It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, as manager, had specific duties in that he was responsible for the training, coaching, selection and motivation of the team.'' NO MENTION of transfer movements.

And Keegan's resignation culminated round the transfer situation in which the LMA has now pointed out, ''Kevin Keegan's chief complaint, amongst others, is that it was always agreed that the director of football could not impose a player that the manager did not want". It is very apparent we have an absolutely clueless owner dictating to run the club whichever way he wants, and I'm not sure he knows what that is! His ambition and commitment to the club is questionable due to the fact that in a year and a half, we have spent ONE MILLION net on transfers! He has cleared the debts but it seems this has been done so that potential investors could be attracted to a club with no debt. Please please sell you southern tit.

They has already won the PL in 91 and the FA Cup in 95 prior to Wengers appointment in 96.

"Arsene replaced Bruce Rioch at Highbury in 1996 but prior to officially joining the Gunners from the J-League, Arsenal had, under the Frenchman's advice, signed two French players. They were Remi Garde from Strasbourg and Patrick Vieira from AC Milan. More Frenchmen soon joined the Gunners including Emmanuel Petit (Monaco) and Nicolas Anelka (Paris St Germain). Dutch winger Marc Overmars also joined the club from Ajax Amsterdam."

The PL didn't exist in '91.  :razz:

And Everton might like to know about Arsenal stealing their FA Cup win in 95.

Oops. :lol:

And Everton might like to know about Arsenal stealing their FA Cup win in 95.

Double oops. :lol: :lol:

You know what is meant.

I can't fucking remember all the facts...When was the FA cup 93?

They won the league in 91.

Happy?  :cheesy:

The point is we are building from a much lower base and can't hope to emulate Arsenal till the first team is taken care of and is more competitive.  Where we are and the squad and what KK identifyied  and went on about ad nasueum was addressing the emergency correctinons for the first team squad, something we can all see.

The point is we are building from a much lower base and can't hope to emulate Arsenal till the first team is taken care of and is more competitive.  Where we are and the squad and what KK identifyied  and went on about ad nasueum was addressing the emergency correctinons for the first team squad, something we can all see.

Nope, apparently Mr. Ashley and co. have other ideas. -sigh-

You can almost smell the panic in Parky's typing there, as he desperately claws at the precipice, trying to regain a foothold on footballing reality. :lol:

Shame you forgot your mountain boots, Parky. ;)

My dad's mate scored the winner in that '93 cup final, that is a fact.  :pow:

Tried to do it from memory... :joker:

Basically this Arsenal analogy they are parading is completely vacuous or a con.

Club Honours

League Champions (13)

2004, 2002, 1998, 1991, 1989, 1971, 1953, 1948, 1938, 1935, 1934, 1933, 1931.

FA Cup Winners (10)

2005 Beat Manchester Utd 5-4 on penalties (after 0-0 draw)

2003 Beat Southampton 1-0

2002 Beat Chelsea 2-0

1998 Beat Newcastle United 2-0

1993 Beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-1

1979 Beat Manchester United 3-2

1971 Beat Liverpool 2-1

1950 Beat Liverpool 2-0

1936 Beat Sheffield United 1-0

1930 Beat Huddersfield Town 2-0

You can almost smell the panic in Parky's typing there, as he desperately claws at the precipice, trying to regain a foothold on footballing reality. :lol:

Shame you forgot your mountain boots, Parky. ;)

His point is still perfectly valid though.  :lol:

What Newcastle achieved from 92 to 96 will never happen again. We made up so much ground in such a short time and we can't possibly be compared to Arsenal who, i think, have only finished outside of the top 8 of the top division once in the last 35 years. Something like that anyway.

Ironically enough, had we actually spent 10m on one more top class midfielder then we would have had a great transfer window and spent roughly 12m net.

That's true, and it's testament to the ability of Jiminez in particular to wheel and deal in the transfer market. Unlike many of the knee-jerkers and emotional reactionaries on here at the moment, I'm able to see that there is some good work being done in this regard for the first time in ages.

The initial point raised is a valid one though. £12m seems a very stingy transfer budget in anyone's language. I assume the Modric bid was a genuine one so something doesn't quite add up.

As I've argued elsewhere the club saying it will be run like Arsenal and expecting us to challenge the top 4 that way is a completely delusional and simplistic view on things. Arsenal is completely unique. It is nigh impossible to replicate, and hinges almost completely on the ability of the people involved, something we seem to badly miss.

Basically this Arsenal analogy they are parading is completely vacuous or a con.

That's what I've said, they're trying to make us into another Spurs, not Arsenal. Get in a new manager, promise some ambition, get in a couple of exciting foreigners on the cheap, sell season tickets, and sell whichever players you can get most money from.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is a result of Ashley betting against his mate Kemsley that he could make any football club profitable.