Is there really no way back now for Ashley, Wise et al?

Syrette

I'll probably be attacked for even asking the above question, but I was just wondering.

No doubt some serious mistakes have been made. They've got a lot to make up for, but reading some of the posts on here over the last few days I get the distinct impression that to a lot of us there is no way back for Ashley, Wise etc and that there is no future for them at the club - or indeed no future for the club with them in charge.

So much rides on who replaces Keegan but regardless of who comes in I won't judge him straight away. It feels unlikely right now but who is to say we won't go on to great success in the next few years with the new man coming in and Ashley still owning the club?

Some of you seem to be so sure of yourselves and the men upstairs that you're now more bothered about seeing Ashley/Wise et al leave than what happens on the pitch this season. We could end up in a position that is of far greater significance than Keegan leaving again.

I've not got much faith in Ashley and his "cronies" right now either; but I can't predict the future and whilst him leaving and a new rich benefactor coming in might sound like the ideal solution right now, it might well not happen. So I'll get behind the players on the pitch and just hope we find the solutions to the horrible situation we find ourselves in.

There is always a way back for a owner who is a billionaire.

No way back for Wise though.

This is such a stupid thing to say, it's not even based upon facts...it's based upon the dislike of him as a player. Never really taken to the guy myself, but I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for him at the level of sheer vitriol being spewed towards him by keyboard-wiedling Keegan-sops.

Guest Darth Toon

This is such a stupid thing to say, it's not even based upon facts...it's based upon the dislike of him as a player. Never really taken to the guy myself, but I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for him at the level of sheer vitriol being spewed towards him by keyboard-wiedling Keegan-sops.

I'm inclined to take the opinion of someone like Sir Bobby Robson seriously though, and he clearly has no time for Wise either.

Don't think it's impossible for Ashley to recover his position, but it would take a level of PR skill and humility he has shown no indications of possessing.

They've done some serious bridge burning with the fans in this last two weeks. What's worrying is whether or not they know just how much damage has been done.

What's not in question is the fact that the pressure to provide tangible success is now higher than they'll have ever imagined.

I'm inclined to take the opinion of someone like Sir Bobby Robson seriously though, and he clearly has no time for Wise either.

Out of interest, when has Robson ever worked, or been involved in a football capacity, with Wise?

Out of interest, when has Robson ever worked, or been involved in a football capacity, with Wise?

Wise sat in his seat man!

Realistically, I think the options are as follows:

a) Ashley stays

b) Foreign group take over

I'm reluctant to be optimistic about b) - better the devil you know and to be honest, while Ashley is being characterised as the pantomime villain at the moment, he's advanced the club on ten-fold from the mess it was in when he first took over. I also get the impression that he's quite a stubborn chap, he'll be determined to make a success of the club and prove that he does actually know how to run a successful business - it just may take him a little time to convert financial success into silverware success.

While we don't have much strength in depth, we do actually have a very good first XI so with the appointment of a committed manager/coach we can show an improvement upon last season.

As mentioned in a few other threads, the anger levels will soon dip if/when we pick up a few wins and the team plays well - it's funny how 'chaos' can get the best out of a sports-team.

The only way back that I can see for Ashley now is if somehow we go on a good run between now and January and he manages to hang on to the club untill then and then invests heavily with two or three £8 million+ signings in the transfer window.

What has happened at Man City has had a huge factor on how we fans (me included) have viewed this whole situation imo.

Guest Stephen927

Disappointed with what has gone on at the club, but I'll still be supporting them and hoping for success like I always have done.

The clubs in a tricky situation now because I believe the only man who could placate the fans and fill the void that Keegan has left behind is Shearer and he's already pretty much ruled himself out.

Wait and see what happens. I don't think theres much of a way back for Wise due to the amount of blame that has been laid at his door (how much of this is true remains to be seen). Only way Ashley can turn it around is by appointing a quality manager and backing him fully in the transfer market. But due to the situation that has occured, how many quality managers will be interested?

Interesting times lie ahead.

If he appoints a good manager and gets rid of Wise and his role, not just getting rid of Wise and appointing someone equally as stupid like Barry Fry to sign players for the manager, Vetterre can stay as head scout. And then invests every penny the club makes back into the club. He won't though.

Not sure how it is stupid thing to say or how it is not based on FACT? Did you write the Newcastle United statement by any chance? The FACT is not many liked him when  he first came, because he was a filthy player, broke a teamates jaw & is a convict. Even less people like him now again this is FACT. Sorry for him...HA HA HA!!!

Keyboard-wielding Keegan sops? Your on an internet message board of course people are going to Keyboard wiedling you fool.

The best solution for me would be Ashley selling up to Ambani. Not because he's been a disaster - the Keegan fiasco was handled badly, but with such different ideas on transfer strategies it was bound to blow up sooner or later. It seems like Ashley's been operating with a plan to sell down the line anyway, that's the main reason the buy out would be a good thing.

If the buy out doesn't happen though, I would expect to see Asley press on with his plans and appoint a new manager. Some of the players will be de-motivated but we haven't really got too many who are irreplaceable in any case so I'm not too bothered.

When he played for the England B team.

Not sure what that has to do with anything, as Baggio has never worked for Wise but seems to like him. But that is fine because this is a MESSAGEBOARD not a fact finding site but a place where people have opinions.

Feel sorry for him?

He had the arrogance to take a job with a football club that he knew the fans of which had a great dislike of him. He had the arrogance to assume that because he very rarely had to show his face in the North East, and he could spend his working life in London that he could get away with it.

He knew the risks of taking the job on. No sympathy at all from me.

I've always commended the scouting system and i feel that it is one way of finding success in the modern game, if not immediate success. I certainly prefer it to the 'Man City/Chelsea approach'. That vision is basically - "he's good, let's buy him." And it's poxy, it's unnatural.

Our approach is more natural, which is why i've always liked it. Even back in the Bobby days -  Craig Bellamy, Laurent Robert, Kieron Dyer... they felt like our players. We unearthed them, we made them what they were. Robinho, Deco, etc on the other hand - well, they're just obvious big names who've whored themselves to various clubs for big money.

That's why the whole Jonas/Guthrie, even Colo maybe, situations are so exciting. They're our players. We haven't borrowed their talents, so to speak.

It's tricky to explain.

Anyhow, i still feel that the system can work. But it'll need a particular manager - an anti-Keegan i suppose. Someone who isn't full of pride and someone who will answer to those who aren't traditionally above him in the 'title hierarchy'. Someone who's basically a good tactician and a good motivator... and that's all. It can and will work with the right personnel in the modern day; i just don't know if this is the right club.

For what it's worth, even though the Keegan thing is smarting like fuck for me and in this household (and i'm sure many others), i really wish we could draw a line under it and give it another shot with a Yes Man. Because as i say, it can work - and i mean, we've taken it this far so we may aswell attempt to muster some sort of silver lining from this very grey cloud.

But if they're going to sell up then i hope he does it pretty damn quick, because when they go, the system will go and we'll be stuck with that Yes Man.

It's still a case of ifs buts and maybes.

For me, what we have seen already is just the "thin edge of the wedge". As stated by Ashley's cabal of crooks

"every player has a price". How long do you think Xisco will stay with us if he sets the PL on fire, or Spiderman, Colo or anyone.

Selling Milner for a hefty price tag is one thing, but not replacing him is indefensible. The club seems to be being run in a more shabby

and unprofessional manner than the previous regime and who thought that was possible?

It seems official: we are now a selling club. :-[

If Fat Mike raised his chubby head from behind his barricade and explained exactly what was going on, set out a real vision for the club and promised

£50m for new players in January, he might just placate some fans. But then again, after the shit his crew have pulled who would believe him?