Did Keegan turn them all down?

KaKa

Gomis, Arda, Derdiyok, Sahin, Gomez, Pandev, Garay, Veloso, Digard, Chamakh, Skjelbred and many more.

There seemed to be quite a good number of promisingyoungsters who we were very strongly linked with this summer, and who it seems fit the criteria of the type of player the club wanted to see brought in.

You have to wonder if this squabbling between KK and the board effectively meant we couldn't seal deals for a number of them, as I doubt KK would have been familiar with them at all, especially as it now appears this squabbling has been going on from pretty early on.

I also imagine bringing some of these players in would have to have meant the sale of the higher earners who weren't really performing for us anymore i.e. Duff, Barton, Smith and maybe even Owen. However, these were also players KK apparently refused to let go.

Only God knows what kind of squad we might have assembled this summer, had we not had KK in charge. You really do have to wonder.

I'm pretty sure it was never a case of Ashley not wanting to invest more in the team this summer, but wanting to do so only after more of the high earners who weren't really contributing much, had been moved on.

Tbh I think KK screwed us royally from that standpoint. Very frustrating.

Those were players we were 'linked' with, which basically means we have no way of knowing whether we were close to signing any of them or not.

I do have doubts over Keegan's views on transfers after him walking out after a summer of good signings, but I think this is taking it a bit far.

Quite a few of them I think.

He was using his position to be able to say yes or no to players so that he could try and force the boards hand near the end of the window to push for someone like Henry, even though they've pointed out to him from day one that this isn't the sort of route the club want to be taking and instead push for quality players under with at least some sort of long term future.

He was using his position to be able to say yes or no to players so that he could try and force the boards hand near the end of the window to push for someone like Henry, even though they've pointed out to him from day one that this isn't the sort of route the club want to be taking and instead push for quality players under with at least some sort of long term future.

I'd prefer that this wasn't true, because if it is then my love of Keegan is well and truly shattered.

No reason to think it's true though have we? Why would he be able to veto the signings listed above but not Xisco, Gonzalez etc?

I'm not saying he turned all of them down, but I'm pretty confident his stance would have prevented us from moving for some of these players.

The board would have been fighting all summer to try to get him to change his mind or give it a chance, up until the end of the window, when they just decided to do it anyway, as we were woefully short on numbers and it was crucial we brought at least a few more in.

Once they did, Keegan legged it.

Guest helios_centric

We're linked with loads of youngsters every summer and there's absolutely no reason to believe Keegan KO'd any deals for any of these players, this thread is just rank speculation.

If we're basing our arguements off tribalfootball.

What a team we would of had with Dunne, Woodgate, Warnock, Modric, Saviola, Ashton, Evans.

Guest Toon Argy

I think Keegan only tried to hang on to players like smith, ameobi and milner to try and proove a point to the board that he should be the one deciding who stay and who goes and this was the only way he could do this.

As the club maintains that since 16th January it was definitely not in Keegan's gift to say yes or no to players, how was he able to do this?

He could have kept turning players away, until the club had to take action on the last day and bring much needed new blood in 'over his head'.  Who knows?  It is all conjecture.  But the FACT is that we are managerless, fragmeneted and disgruntled as a support (soemthing which I worry about the club being able to change), have a threadbare squad and 4 months until a window.  We are, my friends, well and truely screwed.

As the club maintains that since 16th January it was definitely not in Keegan's gift to say yes or no to players, how was he able to do this?

They didn't say that though.  Did they?

I think Keegan only tried to hang on to players like smith, ameobi and milner to try and proove a point to the board that he should be the one deciding who stay and who goes and this was the only way he could do this.

Keegan tried to hang on to them because he knew they wouldnt sign anybody he wanted.

You'd have a job buying some of those with a £12m budget. I've got a gut instinct that Skjelbred fell through because of KK though.

I seriously doubt there was a £12 million budget per se. This was probably quoted to Keegan to emphaisze that we weren't looking to bring in big money signings.

I also think had the board been allowed to shift the likes of Barton, Smith, Duff and even Milner earlier in the window, then we could have brought in an additional number of up and coming players in return.

I'd prefer that this wasn't true, because if it is then my love of Keegan is well and truly shattered.

No reason to think it's true though have we? Why would he be able to veto the signings listed above but not Xisco, Gonzalez etc?

Because the club were forced to step in just to get players through the door, otherwise we would have ended up with nobody.

You do realise that adsolute tosh they report in the papers about keegan having a list with 'henry, beckham and lampard' in is all stemming from that interview on radio newcastle which he said he would luv to sign henry as a fantasy player if he could have one superstar. Total newspaper bollocks for thick minded people to read.

Do you really believe the likes of the mirror, scum and news of the world have insiders givving them info. It is a cover for making up a story with no quotes or slight truth in them. Dont beleive the rags!

Do you honestly think that keegan wouldnt have investigated players we were after, do you really think he wasnt told how much we could spend. As for the supposed 12 mill budget we had, well that is obviously made up as the players we have signed came to about 20 mill, and we made a big bid for modric and woodgate!

I hate people like you who read this shite and beleive it.

They didn't say that though.  Did they?

No they didn't.

It's been well documented that Keegan's opinion on players was taken into consideration, whether it was drawing up a list of players he liked to getting him to go scouting Gomis with Vetere, it's clear the club have tried to make the situation work and keep everyone happy.

It's been well documented that Keegan's opinion on players was taken into consideration, whether it was drawing up a list of players he liked to getting him to go scouting Gomis with Vetere, it's clear the club have tried to make the situation work and keep everyone happy.

I agree with you on this, but you'd better be prepared to wear out your keyboard defending yourself!

Wait ... so how come none of the anti Ashley and anti board stuff isn't "rank" specualtion?

Have you all been down to Keegans for some tea and a chat?

Get real. This is just as plausible as all the other stuff being discussed at the moment regarding the current state of affairs.

If they have been squabbling about signings all summer, I'm pretty sure it caused us to miss out on a number of players, who fit the criteria of what the board wanted, because KK wasn't familiar with them, but then also wasn't able to identify alternatives who he knew of, that fit the criteria. When he identified Guthrie, the club brought him in.