Zico "open" to Magpies post

Rich

From SkySports.com

Brazil legend Zico has revealed he would be interested in succeeding Kevin Keegan as Newcastle United manager.

The Magpies are currently on the look out for a new man to take charge of first-team affairs following Keegan's shock resignation last week.

A number of big names have been linked with the St James' Park hot-seat and now former Japan and Fenerbahce boss Zico has joined that list.

One of the alleged reasons behind Keegan's departure was the club's use of a director of football but Zico, who made 88 appearances for Brazil, has no qualms with the North East side's internal structure.

"The Newcastle job is one that I would be very interested in taking. It would be a privilege and an honour," he told the Daily Mail.

"I've always wanted to experience the Premier League as I believe I could enjoy much success coaching in England.

"I am used to working alongside technical directors so this isn't an issue for me. It's normal for me to work in those conditions."

Surely an interesting candidate - to say the least?

Looking at the amount of Brazilians that were at his previous employers I get the feeling he would want to sign his own players. Zico is very outspoken the last thing Specky, Fatty & Wisey want atm is a outspoken coach who wants to do his own signings.

Just posted this in the other thread ...

Sooner rather than later Zico could bring his attacking style to a major club in one of the traditional centres. If he does, there will be no compromise in style. 'I will never give up on football that is played well,' says Zico. 'There are too many defensive teams around, with players passing the ball sideways instead of going for it. I like my players to have fun and attack.'

For Zico, coaching consists of two unconventional axes: number one, dialogue; number two, teaching through repetitions. 'I will never do as a coach the things I hated people doing to me when I was a player. For me dialogue is as essential in football as in life. I like to talk to my players and I never impose anything, I always give them the chance to make their own choices.

'Obviously football also consists of tactical work, but for me the main thing is to show my players their potential and show them they are important for the team. I don't want them to listen to me and follow strictly what I say. I want them to have absolute freedom, take decisions and sort things out inside the four lines. That is my philosophy.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/apr/06/football.comment

Good article and some insight into the type of manager Zico is  :thup:

Looking at the amount of Brazilians that were at his previous employers I get the feeling he would want to sign his own players. Zico is very outspoken the last thing Specky, Fatty & Wisey want atm is a outspoken coach who wants to do his own signings.

How many Brazilians did he have playing for Japan like?

Bar Alex of course :aww:

I don't think he'd be too much of a transition from Keegan mentality-wise and he's certainly got the reputation that the next man needs to have.

Just posted this in the other thread ...

Sooner rather than later Zico could bring his attacking style to a major club in one of the traditional centres. If he does, there will be no compromise in style. 'I will never give up on football that is played well,' says Zico. 'There are too many defensive teams around, with players passing the ball sideways instead of going for it. I like my players to have fun and attack.'

For Zico, coaching consists of two unconventional axes: number one, dialogue; number two, teaching through repetitions. 'I will never do as a coach the things I hated people doing to me when I was a player. For me dialogue is as essential in football as in life. I like to talk to my players and I never impose anything, I always give them the chance to make their own choices.

'Obviously football also consists of tactical work, but for me the main thing is to show my players their potential and show them they are important for the team. I don't want them to listen to me and follow strictly what I say. I want them to have absolute freedom, take decisions and sort things out inside the four lines. That is my philosophy.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/apr/06/football.comment

Good article and some insight into the type of manager Zico is  :thup:

Sounds just like Keegan  :-[

So based on the number of Brazillians inhis Fenerbahce team, you have come to the conclusion that he is an outspoken coach who wants to "do" his own signings?!

I think I would rather take the mans words on board myself. He has stated, having obviously heard of all the hoopla that has taken place, that he is used to working with technical directors, and it isn't an issue for him, but instead, one that he finds normal to work in.

Would be an absolute disaster imo.

Based on?

Never managed in the PL for a start. This isn't the time for an exotic coach, the rest of this season will become backs to the wall stuff very quickly. He won;t know what to do. IMO the time to expriment with a coach like Zico is when everything else is in place and that certainly isn't the case with us.

Based on?

Never managed in the PL for a start. This isn't the time for an exotic coach, the rest of this season will become backs to the wall stuff very quickly. He won;t know what to do. IMO the time to expriment with a coach like Zico is when everything else is in place and that certainly isn't the case with us.

When the fuck will "everything be in place" at SJP? Wake up man.

If the players he likes fall in line with the strategy set out by the club then I can't see why they wouldn't go for them.

Based on?

When the fuck will "everything be in place" at SJP? Wake up man.

It's quite late.

Based on?

In your opinion the season's over already.

Based on?

His assistant will be absolutely vital, and I believe the board will be looking to keep Houghton on board, who is very experienced in this league.

We need to stop playing it safe, it's time to take a risk. I don't think our team is so poor as to be threatened with relegation, so lets go for it. There are no outstanding, prem experienced candidates out there.

Based on?

Werent you willing Klinsmann to come here after SA got sacked? Whats change guv'nor?