Annual Leave

Belfast Boy

Could I get an idea of how much annual leave everyone gets and how many of those days you are forced to take at particular times.

I am in a new job this year and I get 24 days in a standard year, but I am just finding out that I have to take the 8 Bank Holidays out of this plus another 4 for Christmas, leaving me only 12 days to choose myself.

In my previous job I got 23 days (3 of which had to be Christmas) Plus all the Bank Holidays, which I thought was the norm.

So my company aren't doing anything illegal, but are basically giving me the bare minimum they can get away with then :(

yup

just means you'll have a poor sickness record

Wait it gets better, because I am new to the company my paid sick entitlement is currently 1 day!

What is it you do Belfast?

I am setting up a new office for an established survey company, so basically for now, sales. Trouble is I am not a salesman, I am a surveyor/geophysicist, the current climate is not great for getting new business, and our company pushes quality work, rather than cheap prices. So I am not having much joy getting work in :(

Save to say I am not feeling to motivated today.

EDIT: Anyone need a survey?? Above or below ground??  ;D

Guest timmy boy

I thought the least you could get is 20 days plus the 8 bank holidays, surely bank holidays shouldn't count towards your annual leave, if it does that's a right piss take.

Guest timmy boy

You do not have an automatic right to take bank or public holidays off work, with or without pay.

If your employer gives you bank or public holidays off and pays you for them, they will count towards your statutory holiday. They will count towards your statutory holiday unless your employment contract says that you get bank or public holidays on top of your statutory holiday.

For example, if you work five days a week, you are entitled to 24 days paid holiday a year (4.8 weeks X 5 days). If you are expected to take bank and public holidays off, these will be deducted from your 24 days. In England and Wales, there are eight bank and public holidays so this will leave you 16 days which you can choose when to take.

Just found this,bank holidays do count in your holidays, they never have in any job I have had.

If it makes you feel better those sound like ridiculous totals to someone working in the states. 

At my job I get 3 weeks of paid leave (15 days) and 8 federal holidays off a year.  23 days.  Until I'm here for 5 years at which point I'll get bumped up to 4 weeks (20 days) of paid leave.  That's considered a pretty good amount for a professional not in management.

Most non-professional, retail jobs are 2 weeks paid leave (10 days) + the 8 holidays. 

I blame this all on being colonized by uptight, workaholic puritans.

If it makes you feel better those sound like ridiculous totals to someone working in the states. 

At my job I get 3 weeks of paid leave (15 days) and 8 federal holidays off a year.  23 days.  Until I'm here for 5 years at which point I'll get bumped up to 4 weeks (20 days) of paid leave.  That's considered a pretty good amount for a professional not in management.

Most non-professional, retail jobs are 2 weeks paid leave (10 days) + the 8 holidays. 

I blame this all on being colonized by uptight, workaholic puritans.

Well this thread seems to prove that you and me are the only ones on a shit deal. And I am a manager too.