Ticket resale

AyeDubbleYoo

OK, just a quick rant and to see if anyone agrees with me.

Do you think it should be illegal for tickets to theatre, concerts and soprting events to be resold for greater than face value?

I do, because today I've been trying to get my girlfriend tickets to Hamlet in London, with David Tennant in. Very sought after tickets, so no luck so far. All of the websites related to tickets for it have crashed, and the phoneline is engaged.

However, there are any number of tickets available at 'Get Me In', a resale site, for around £300 each. Now I've got a number of problems with this, namely that real fans of things can't get tickets because slimy touts are buying up tickets in bulk to resell this way. Now even respectable sites like ticketmaster are getting in on this grubby trade.

The legal position is odd, as it's unclear whether a ticket is a good that can be resold, like a car, or whether it is the actual service of the concert etc you are buying - therefore there would be nothing that you 'owned' that you should be allowed to resell. I don't think there have been any test cases.

The government recently distanced themselves from calls for a ban on the practice.

Thoughts?

I thought it was illegal. ???

Not that I can see, for example getmein.com is owned legitimately by ticketmaster, and allows anyone to sell tickets for any price they like.

I just hate that it's becoming harder and harder to get tickets for anything decent, the amount traders are buying up.

So what's to stop companies buying up the entire ticket run of a particular event and then selling them all at say double the price?

Fucking bonkers that, the only way of stopping it would be to only supply a maximum of say five tickets to any one address.

So what's to stop companies buying up the entire ticket run of a particular event and then selling them all at say double the price?

Fucking bonkers that, the only way of stopping it would be to only supply a maximum of say five tickets to any one address.

Well it's not that bad yet, but there are people making a good living out of buying up and reselling loads of tickets.

Sometimes the free market needs to be held back a little bit IMO.

I thought it was illegal. ???

Im sure theres touts and the like. Im the same with those who sell autographs for stupid prices, you see them at grounds and hotels with 5-6 of the same photograph. If its one fair do's Autographs used to be about the fans, now its juts "How much can I sell it for" I saw a video on youtube of a player refusing to do multiple ones, and he was called an "Arsehole".

As for ticket reselling its annoying as hell, it just seems so stupid that people will charge stupid money for things like that. I remember hearing Tickets for Frankie Boyle at the City Hall were nigh £100. Its people profiting off being dirty and fleecing people, if the money was oing to the artist fair do's.

Guest optimistic nit

anyone buying an autograph deserves to be ripped off tbh. i've never really liked getting them anyway, but if you do, then its a personal thing saying i met this person. what you get out of buying them i'll never know.

anyone buying an autograph deserves to be ripped off tbh. i've never really liked getting them anyway, but if you do, then its a personal thing saying i met this person. what you get out of buying them i'll never know.

But what about people like Kaizero who live in Norway but want their own piece of memrobilia? I know what you're saying but its not awlays possible.

i agree. reading festival 2008 ticket i bought from ticketmaster legitimately. £155 plus a ridiculous £7 booking fee and £5 delivery iirc. but they sold out in 15 minutes and you see them gong on ebay for more than double. wouldnt mind if it was for charity but anyone who does this (including ticketmaster) deserve shooting

Yeah, when I went for the autographs I got yesterday I spotted a lad and father who are serial autograph hunters, they ask every player that comes past for shirts boots gloves anything, same with home players.

Its pretty simple really, send the tickets out the week of the concert or whatever it is so you get your ticket 2 or 3 days beforehand.

Much harder to sell them for more money.

Dont they do that anyway? A lot of people trying to flog them actually stand outside the venue though.