Newcastle United 1 - 2 Hull City - 13/09/08 - post match reaction from page 21

Dave

"Mauled by the tigers" - while putting their hands up like paws. Ive never bene so angry in my life!  :lol:

Simple solution, at the reverse fixture we should all sing "PECKED BY THE MAGPIES, YOU'RE GETTING PECKED BY THE MAGPIES" :lol:

while nodding our heads in a back and forth motion as if we are pecking  :lol:

The formation we put out was never going to work with the players available, you can't replace a fullback like Beye who bombs up and down with Edgar and expect him to have the same affect going forward, the same way as you can't lose Martins who's happy to drift out wide and replace him with Ameobi, it just wouldn't work.

He should have dropped Shola, replaced him with Bassong and gone with a 4-4-2.

I found our fans an embarrassment yesterday, we just scored to get back in the game but some were still interested in pushing the "Ashley out" bollocks rather than getting behind the team, nice to see some of our fans with sense shouting the pricks down.

Guest Howaythetoon

Eh, when we scored we went absolutely mental. I didn't hear much sack the board type chants in the final 30 minutes to be honest.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4754191.ece

From The Times

September 15, 2008

The end of a car-Toon era at St James’

Newcastle 1 Hull 2

George Caulkin

Mike Ashley: an apology. In common with many news organisations over recent days, The Times may have inadvertently suggested that one Michael James Wallace Ashley has somehow been responsible for the slow death of Newcastle United. We now accept, without reservation, that this allegation is completely false. We are happy to set the record straight.

Ashley, in fact, has done the opposite. Through mismanagement and folly, from the whittling of Kevin Keegan’s authority to the point of resignation, through the appointment of Dennis Wise, the absence of public leadership, a refusal to communicate until yesterday’s statement, a witless summer in the transfer market and the small-minded snubbing of Alan Shearer, supporters are mobilised.

Newcastle are not dying, Newcastle are reborn and contrary to appearances, Saturday was an uplifting occasion. The 2-1 defeat by Hull City was alarming in that it pointed to a long season of grind – and vindicated Keegan’s longstanding concerns about the depth of the squad – but the turmoil that surrounded it was inspirational. Anger is an energy and it is forcing Ashley out.

Amid the chaos, the protests, the chants, the march and the boycott of merchandise, the football felt like an irrelevance, so with more apologies – this time to Hull, whose composure would usually warrant greater attention – this cannot be a traditional match report. What follows is a series of random observations.

Related Links

Ashley: ‘You want me out so I shall go’

1.There is a Light That Never Goes Out. The DJ at St James’ Park knows his stuff and the Smiths song that played after the final whistle was apt. Newcastle’s future may be uncertain, but here was a substantial reminder of Geordie ardour. Powerful, emotive, raw and important.

2. Newcastle, united. There have been lean spells on Tyneside and much underachievement, but rarely has there been a universal target of disapproval. Freddy Shepherd led a discredited regime, but the former chairman’s failings were often disguised by a Hollywood signing, unpopular managers or errant players. Now the opposition is focused.

3. Where’s Waldo? Neither Ashley nor Wise were present on Saturday, but if the notion of accountability suffered, the cacophony will have echoed as far as London. In the directors’ box, Derek Llambias sat amid empty seats. When a banner reading “Cockney Mafia Out” was carried around to raucous applause, the managing director smiled. It was less a demand than a prediction.

4. Sing your hearts out for the lads. A selection of songs, which will not be available in any shops: “Taxi for Ashley”; “He’s thick, he’s fat, he is a f***ing t***, Ashley, Ashley”; “He’s a dwarf, a dwarf, it’s plain to see, to see, he’s smaller than you and me, he’s a dwarf, a dwarf”; “Sack the board”; “There’s only one Kevin Keegan”. And from the away end: “Are you Grimsby in disguise?”

5. Crisis, what crisis? Late on Friday night, Hull’s first-team squad moved to the Malmaison hotel after an altercation with a wedding party at their country retreat. Phil Brown’s close association with Sam Allardyce, the former Newcastle manager, was apparently a source of dispute; the home team looked more fatigued.

6. Danger, genius at work. Ashley, we are informed, had a five-year plan. He wanted younger, hungrier (cheaper) players. But while injuries may be prevalent, Newcastle confronted Hull with no recognised full backs and a substitutes’ bench featuring Frank Danquah, Mark Doninger and Ryan Donaldson. Xisco looked like the new Shola Ameobi. The old Shola Ameobi was jeered off.

7. And in other news . . . a match took place. Marlon King scored twice for Hull, initially through a penalty and then, in the second half, after turning inside Charles N’Zogbia. An unmissable tap-in from Xisco in the 82nd minute did not herald a come-back but more frustration. Danny Guthrie was dismissed after two red-mist lunges on Craig Fagan.

8. A fine mess. Whatever else happens in NE1, the Toon Army is marching. What Saturday proved is that ownership of a club is about more than billionaires and directors of football and Newcastle has been taken back by their fans. As Ashley said yesterday: “I have listened to you.” So apologies, Mike. And thank you. And, now, goodbye.

What the f*** do we expect when you have Shola Ameobi in your side!!!!!

with shola in the side. played 2 lost 2. pre season. played 4 lost 3. goals scored with shola on the pitch 3 (1 match, none of which he had anything to do with in the move).

You won't win matches with Shola, but neither will you with this midfield. You can't play the midfield so narrow together because Edgar wont go forward. I don't understand why we didn't play a simplre 4-4-2.

Given

Edgar Taylor Colo Bassong

Geremi Butt Guth N'zogbia

Xisco Owen

would have been so much safer.

The managerial crisis didn't help the team, the fans didn't help the team and injuries didn't help the team, but yet I'm still find there display a complete let down.

The players that were put on the park were good enough to beat a Hull side missing it's two better players. They weren't too old, they weren't lacking quality, they just weren't good enough and that's down to them and there complete lack of professionalism.

We were shown just how important spirit, confidence, belief, trust, faith and leadership is to a group of players regardless of their ability and just how fickle talent can be on its own without any back-up. I absolve the players of any blame. To me they worked hard and tried their best while not being at their best and I can accept that and pardon it in the circumstances.

Aye, hope they sleep well having cashed their £50,000 cheque.

At the end of the day the qualities you listed are very important when it comes to instilling team spirit, but there was enough talent on that park to beat Hull City.

Just look at Xisco, that's the type of performance we needed. A fighting individual display which very nearly got us back in the game. We didn't need them to play as a team we just needed to do a job, a job which they're paid to do and they failed. I've said I can understand their mindset and some what sympathise with them, but the players have to accept some blame for the defeat.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Injured Newcastle stars Obafemi Martins and Habib Beye were denied entry by a member of St James' Park security staff on Saturday because they did not have tickets for the game against Hull. (The Sun)

Listening to that muppet  Collymore who bet the fuck outa his wife slag off Newcastles midfield was worse than getting kicked in the goolies!He said it was the worst performance by any midfield in the premiership so far!Fuck off you wank....even though he prob was right