Sat 20 - 15:00 West Ham Utd (a) Pre Match Thread

Skirge

Bssong has pace is left footed can read the game and has the ability to stay calm under pressure yet I bet Zoggy is played at LB instead, he is s**** there and its a double whammy because we miss him as an attacking force so much.

A defender in a defending role has to be a better option..

It's the double whammy bit that I can't believe managers can't see. We weaken our defence and we lessen one of our most dangerous attacking threats in one move. Brilliant tactics that is.

I actually agree with the managers on this one. Zog is an OK left back (not s***, not particularly good). But when he's played there, it basically gives us two left wingers and causes trouble for the opposition because they don't know who should be picking him up. It certainly worked against Bolton last month, and in theory should work against a lot of the lesser teams.

[/quote

WHAT? :lol: Zoggy does not track back, go's missing a lot, does not tuck in when we are being attacked from the other flank, no other manager of any other club would buy Zoggy with a view to using him as a left back.

He is the only left winger we have that will attack the full back, Duff just checks back all the time and Jonas on the left drifts in all the time with him being a right footer. Charlie on the left wing and Jonas on the right wing is by far our best wide attacking options, both attack full backs both will hug the wing and offer us width.

Bassong is a left footed defender, yes better at CB but still better at left back than Zoggy, he understands the role of being a defender. You can say having Zoggy at LB gives us a double attacking option but how many assists does he have whilst playing at LB? how many goals have we conceded with him at LB, goals that have came because he has not tracked back.

I guess I disagree then. I like watching him play from LB because he is basically a third winger. I agree he doesn't track back as much as he should, but when he does, I think he defends pretty well.

The other problem I see is with his happiness, we all know he was not happy here and I cannot imagine he likes being at LB where he makes mistakes and it costs the team, he does not track back enough when playing on the wing but at least when that happens there is another line of defence.

He wants to make it into the full French squad not just the U21 squad, he aint going to do that as a LB..

Injured: Beye (achilles), Smith (achilles), Viduka, Gutierrez (shoulder), Enrique (hamstring tbc), Carroll (heel), LuaLua (leg).

Suspended: Barton, Guthrie.

Available: Given, Harper, Krul, Forster, Coloccini, Edgar, Taylor, Cacapa, Bassong, Geremi, Gonzalez, N'Zogbia, Butt, Owen, Ameobi, Xisco.

Doubtful: Duff, Martins (both being written about as possible participants for Saturday despite Chris Hughton being downbeat about their chances).

Gonzalez for Guthrie will be the only change I reckon. :-[

Martins out....Duff back .......ffs why can`t it be the other way around :tickedoff:

Duff Returns But Oba Out

By Craig Hope

DAMIEN Duff has handed caretaker coach Chris Hughton a fitness boost ahead of Saturday's trip to West Ham - but Nigerian striker Oba Martins will not figure at Upton Park.

Duff, missing since injuring his knee during last month's 1-0 victory over Bolton, has trained with his Magpie colleagues this week and is included in the black and white squad which travels to East London.

"Damien has had a good week," former Hammers defender Hughton told nufcTV.

"He has trained well and is fit to be included in the squad for West Ham."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1396513,00.html

Guest Darth Toon

I am guessing:

Given

Geremi  Taylor   Colocinni  Bassong

Duff       Nacho   Butt         Zog

Owen    Xisco

Aye, that's probably about the best we can do.

West Ham are starting to rival us in the perma-crock stakes. Partly because they bought a few of ours obviously.

tbh, I think they`ve had it worse than us (last season at least) with Parker,Dyer and Bellamy, Ljunberg out for most of the season along with their then new signing Faubert getting crocked for 6 months. Ashton was injured all the time as well........

Oh well, lets hope we get some players back fit for this and maybe a proper manager..

IF no one comes back from injury the team will pick itself really

--------------Given

Edgar----Tayl-----Colo-----Bass

Gez------Butt-----Nacho---Zogg

---------Owen------Xisco

I'd agree with this.

I was sure we should have played a 4-4-2 last week and had Zoggy on the left with Bassong at left-back.

We can get a draw.

we got 2 left back on loan after the window shut both out of contract.  The guy who played last week looked ok, but nothing great prob west team

We were supposedly after him (Ilunga) also.......your lot got him and also a Uruguayan international left back......we ended up with nowt

Guest Howaythetoon

A comfortable win for West Ham.

No wonder Hughton has said it might be better to play away from home for the players if this is the type of "backing" our fans will show.

Then Hughton is wrong because at home against Hull fans were in general fully supportive of the team like we always are. How dare he.

Btw did you predict a defeat on the opening day?

Me predicting a comfortable home victory for the Hammers doesn't mean I won't be backing us 100% at the actual match, which you know anyway, you're just being arsey. So am I like :D