I'm not bothered about 'megabucks'

Dave

If Ashley brought Keegan (or indeed any manager) in with the promise of a £20m budget plus sales and he agreed to that then it's fine with me. If a new owner came in and brought Keegan back (or anyone new in) with the promise of less than that and Keegan/they agreed to it then that's fine with me too.

Transfer budgets are perfectly fine, and are perfectly understandable. All I care about is that the manager has the final say.

I'm fucking pig-sick of everyone - including Mike Ashley - assuming that as a Newcastle United fan I demand £30m players every transfer window and that I don't care about anything else. Fuck off.

If Ashley brought Keegan (or indeed any manager) in with the promise of a £20m budget plus sales and he agreed to that then it's fine with me. If a new owner came in and brought Keegan back (or anyone new in) with the promise of less than that and Keegan/they agreed to it then that's fine with me too.

Transfer budgets are perfectly fine, and are perfectly understandable.

I'm f***ing pig-sick of everyone - including Mike Ashley - assuming that as a Newcastle United fan I demand £30m players every transfer window. f*** off.

I'm still confused as to why people found the last transfer window horrific in terms of finances, you got some quality players in, 12m for Milner? Laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm f***ing pig-sick of everyone - including Mike Ashley - assuming that as a Newcastle United fan I demand £30m players every transfer window. f*** off.

I'm still confused as to why people found the last transfer window horrific in terms of finances, you got some quality players in, 12m for Milner? Laughing all the way to the bank.

The thing is, if we'd spent a bit more and padded out our woefully thin squad it could have been a very good transfer window. It was very close to being good, applying a bit of simple common sense that most people could understand could have got it there. Very frustrating.

Then why are your fans moaning about finances all the time when you've spent more than us?

Problem is Keegan isn't happy with that, which is a part of the problem.

Based on? I'm assuming transfer budgets were discussed before he accepted the position.

The much publicised interview at the back end of last season. ???

I'd assume his specific role was discussed then as well, but he continually appears to suggest not.

Based on? I'm assuming transfer budgets were discussed before he accepted the position.

I'd assume his specific role was discussed then as well, but he continually appears to suggest not.

If he wasn't happy then with the transfer budget then he should have left at the end of the season. :nods:

Then why are your fans moaning about finances all the time when you've spent more than us?

As we were in a genuine position to give a good challenge to get into the top 4 this season, and historically we've never been in a situation to spend big, whereas a clutch of other clubs have.

And in the same breath, it's a bit of a harsh generalisation isn't it? If we're going to make unfair generalisations about fans, all Newcastle fans demand millions and millions pounds-worth of world class players all the time. Utter rubbish.

If he wasn't happy then with the transfer budget then he should have left at the end of the season. :nods:

10 points for Dave. He should have...

Completely agree with you there.  That's one of the things which has pissed me off the most in all of this, him waiting until the transfer window had closed.

He didn't leave then though, so is it not fairly safe to assume he wasn't unhappy with the budget? Ashley makes out in his statement (the latest one, anyway :rolleyes:) that he had a fixed plan all along regarding the money he was prepared to spend. So was Keegan not told this?

Are we to believe that Keegan thought he could convince them to spend big right up until the window closed, at which point he realised not and fucked off?

Transfer budgets are perfectly fine, and are perfectly understandable. All I care about is that the manager has the final say.

I'm f***ing pig-sick of everyone - including Mike Ashley - assuming that as a Newcastle United fan I demand £30m players every transfer window and that I don't care about anything else. f*** off.

:clap:

I mentioned something along the lines of this last night. It gets right on my fucking tits when people just bring the "toon fans have far too big expectations" label out when it has nothing to do with the situation at hand. We just want the manager to have the final say on transfers and not be forced out of the club when we were doing well, especially when the director of football is less qualified and proven than the manager ffs.

Completely agree with you there.  That's one of the things which has pissed me off the most in all of this, him waiting until the transfer window had closed.

Wasnt he promised "if the deal is right and the player is right"... ?

I've decided I want to be the new Chelsea/Man City and just have an unlimited budget and buy success as best we can.

So I'm hoping some such mega billionaire like Ambani buys us.

That said, I agree with Dave. I don't demand we spend heavily. Had we used the Milner money to bring in someone of quality I'd have been thrilled with our summer.

« Last Edit: Today at 01:37:06 PM by Andy »

???

Anyway, yeah, I do agree with you on this one Dave... However, a lot of fans were demanding that we spend silly money in the window on this so-called "wow" signing.

Guest The Libertine

it is true though. the majority (or at least a big number) of newcastle fans want big name signings and often judge the success of a transfer window by how much we've spent and not by looking at the bigger picture.

Guest optimistic nit

to be honest after seeing our fans behaviour over the last 2 weeks i'm coming round to the national media's opinion of our fans as well. and its not just sky sports choosing mongs, its people like the representivies of toon faith and the mag, fanzines and people who should represent the club, who have released ludicrous statements, and given ludicrous interviews. its all very well saying that you dont want mr megabucks, but i'm not sure any more that that speaks for the majority.

and we had every right to be annoyed at keegan leaving, and at the mistakes made by members of the backroom staff, but the gap between there and ASHLEY OUT, SACK THE BOARD! etc... is a big one, and we're in for another shit season now, and ashley, keegan and us, the fans can all take some of the blame. the only people i feel sorry for right now are the players.

« Last Edit: Today at 01:37:06 PM by Andy »

???

Anyway, yeah, I do agree with you on this one Dave... However, a lot of fans were demanding that we spend silly money in the window on this so-called "wow" signing.

To be fair about the ridiculous 'wow' signing, it was reported by a few different sources and naturally it got people thinking. When the owner of your club has supposedly said "we'll make a signing that will shock the world of football" I think it's fair play to get a bit excited.

Of course it all started as a fake ITK that got picked up by several news sources and got a bit out of hand. But it was never denied at any point either.

This is why I think Ashley was trying to prop up an uneasy alliance that was doomed to fail.  I think he told both sides that it was going to work and both sides took that to mean that they would ultimately get their way.  Wise, et al, got their way in the end and Keegan walked.  There was a communications break down and as good as this management team is at procuring inexpensive talent, they appear to be as bad at communicating.

Guest guinness_fiend

I've decided I want to be the new Chelsea/Man City and just have an unlimited budget and buy success as best we can.

So I'm hoping some such mega billionaire like Ambani buys us.

That said, I agree with Dave. I don't demand we spend heavily. Had we used the Milner money to bring in someone of quality I'd have been thrilled with our summer.

How does anyone on this board know whether or not we *tried* to replace Milner?  For all we know, we could have been placing bids all over the shop, especially as our eventual purchases were below the radar of the media, and were kicked back by either the player or the club.

Ultimately, at the end of last season we were (and remain) a decidedly mid-tier team, outside of London, that cannot offer European football.  It is a hard sell, no matter what we, as rose-tinted spec wearing fans, may think.

We are not one of the fashionable clubs of the moment.  Hopefully, we will be in the next few years, but let us not kid ourselves - unless we offer stupid money at mercenary players, I cannot see the future cream of the Premiership schlepping to the North East.

All this speculation is infuriating.  Because Ashley employed Dennis Wise, he is accused of offering "jobs for the boys."  Christ, since Ashley introduced his (admittedly short-sited) system, we have signed a number of very promising players.  The issue at hand has always been the shadow that the Director of Football etc. cast over Keegan, if the press is to be believed, but again - none of us know whether that is/was the case.

For all we know, Keegan could have walked out because he asked for an extension to his contract and was refused.  Until I hear Keegan and/or Ashley discuss their differences via press statements, I am reserving judgment on the matter and just hope, for the love of god, that our league position will not suffer because of the panto (I will settle for keeping our place in the Premiership!).

i'm with Shak, i want us to be the best we can be, so if that means a megarich gazillionaire wants to give us £100m to spend every year then great.

though i'd fine be fine with spending what the mackems have in the past 2 years and showing that kind of ambition too. i just want to see a good team playing good football that we can be proud of.

To be fair about the ridiculous 'wow' signing, it was reported by a few different sources and naturally it got people thinking. When the owner of your club has supposedly said "we'll make a signing that will shock the world of football" I think it's fair play to get a bit excited.

Of course it all started as a fake ITK that got picked up by several news sources and got a bit out of hand. But it was never denied at any point either.

The most telling thing about that whole 'wow signing' bollocks is that even Keegan himself didn't know if it was true or not.