The 'GOLF' thread

13 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Could it not have stayed on the path? Better than rough i think.

Rare enough, it would likely have rolled off slowly.

Lexi Thompson visibly melted down. Looked so uncomfortable the last two holes, five shot lead on the back 9 and she loses by 1.

Left a four footer short on 17 for par, then left a ten footer short on the last knowing it was a must make to be in a playoff.

She's trying way too hard to make it seem like she's still having a good time, feel for her.

9 minutes ago, Shak said:

Dude went through a lot a few years back, happy to see him doing well.

Aye heard something about that, he seems to not get carried away win or lose, i guess more important things in life put golf in perspective.

10 minutes ago, Shak said:

Lexi Thompson visibly melted down. Looked so uncomfortable the last two holes, five shot lead on the back 9 and she loses by 1.

Left a four footer short on 17 for par, then left a ten footer short on the last knowing it was a must make to be in a playoff.

She's trying way too hard to make it seem like she's still having a good time, feel for her.

Because of the ball marker thing?

1 minute ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Because of the ball marker thing?

No this is the women's US Open, happening right now. About to be a playoff.

She had it in the bag and just let it go but the putts at the end were so tentative.

5 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Aye heard something about that, he seems to not get carried away win or lose, i guess more important things in life put golf in perspective.

Before the injuries and personal tragedies, he was really the next big thing in golf. Was the clear best amateur in the world for a long time in a time where Spieth and Thomas were there.

7 minutes ago, Shak said:

No this is the women's US Open, happening right now. About to be a playoff.

She had it in the bag and just let it go but the putts at the end were so tentative.

Yea i know but didn't she lose a major by not replacing her marker properly a few years back? I thought you meant maybe that was still affecting her, apologies if not.

Love this girl Saso in the playoff, fact that she basically built her swing off  copying McIlroy on YouTube.

Can really see it with the driver.

Didn't get to watch much but saw the last hour or so of that and man that was some of the shittest golf I've ever seen on the PGA tour.

Hadley will get the headlines and rightly so, bogeying the last three to miss out by a shot.

But half a dozen others also made mess of the closing stretch. Higgo completely backdoors his first win :lol:

It's hard to comprehend just how good he was for a decade.

That's an absurd run of finishes :lol:

For a bit of context, those 17 wins in the space of maybe a bit over a year is only two fewer than Ernie Els managed over his whole career on the PGA tour.

Rumour is that Dechambeau asked not to be paired with him first two rounds. Think the defending champ and the amateur champ always play together and there's some sort of formula so could be bullshit.

Should be a good week, major golf always is and I love the US Open when they get the setup right. Torrey Pines isn't a particularly interesting course IMO but it made for a great venue in 2008 and hopefully will do again. They've not had much rain so they should be able to get it playing firm and the greens really fast.

I think it's all a bit of an act tbh.

Will be interested to see if the setup favours the big hitters again. As a tournament it's become a bit of an event where hitting it really long is now a huge advantage, which is the opposite of what it used to be and I'm not sure the shift is intentional. Dechambeau, Woodland, Koepka and DJ being the winners over the last five years says a lot though.

They've narrowed the fairways and grown the rough to try and put a premium on hitting it straight. In theory it should favour accurate drivers but it's so tight out there that everyone misses at least a few per round. The likes of Ancer or Morikawa for instance just don't have the power to get it out of the rough and on the green when they miss fairways, meanwhile the likes of Dechambeau and Koepka are thirty yards closer and are hitting wedges... even from the thick stuff they can get a decent dig at it and get it somewhere on the green. Dechambeau and Wolff hit like 2 and 3 fairways in round 3 last year and had the two low rounds of the day, just because they were so far up that being in the rough wasn't a huge issue.

Not to say a Morikawa type can't win, of course they can. Does feel the margin for error is super thin for them though.

Bets this week on these guys each way.

McIlroy

Mickelson

Kokrak

Scott

Bubba

Have a feeling Rory might make a real run at it, his short game has been good recently and he's had another couple of weeks to get the long game closer to where it needs to be. He can bomb it out there with the best of them, anyway.