Brown using 1984 'as a manual'

GM

Brown using 1984 'as a manual'

Tuesday, 16 Sep 2008 10:58

Source:Politics.co.uk

Civil rights campaigner Shami Chakrabarti launched a scathing attack on Gordon Brown's record at a Lib Dem conference fringe event last night, saying he used George Orwell's book 1984 as "a manual for government".

The Liberty director warned the prime minister had failed to become the change voters expected during his honeymoon period and that he was now struggling in the polls as a result.

"Democracy is sometimes about hiring and firing governments," she told politics.co.uk.

"If you've been in power for a long time people feel like a change and sometimes you have to be the change or the change comes.

"I think Mr Brown got a honeymoon because people thought he might be the change. He could dump some things like ID cards, not run away with pre-charge detention, say sorry for Iraq, maybe?

"These things don't cost any money but they show a great amount of humility. You might be the change or the change comes upon you."

Ms Chakrabarti railed against the incremental increases in surveillance and unregulated use of CCTV cameras, saying the George Orwell novel 1984 was "supposed to be a warning, not a manual, for government".

"We know what we're up against: the terrible idea that if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. It does matter. Imagine a society where privacy doesn't matter: no dignity, no intimacy, no freedom of thought, no free speech."

She said Orwell's book captured the way in which language was used to subvert important values, including the 'war on terror' in particular.

"The moment you call it a 'war on terror' you're asking people to surrender their freedoms because they're living in a permanent state of emergency," she finished.

"I'm not prepared to wait for 50 years."

My - she's a feisty one that Chakrabarti.  :aww:

But she's right.

Why do you hate her?

Is it cos she is "not white"?

???

:lol:

No its becauseshe is a media whore, oh look at me with my politically correctness and my mission to rid the world of all evil, bitchface.

Tell her there is no fucking point.

I love Shami Chakrabati, she's a hero.

She has a good point about many governments, either you change or the change comes to you. The current one needs to admit that they have eroded civil liberties too much during this phantom 'war on terror' and start doing things like scrapping the ID cards plans.

I hate to think I will vote against Labour and allow the Tories to win, but I'll have to at this rate.

Guest elbee909

Why do you hate her?

???

No its becauseshe is a media whore, oh look at me with my politically correctness and my mission to rid the world of all evil, bitchface.

If Liberty didn't go to the media as often as they have to they'd have next to no-one backing them financially.  They rely on their message getting out there for financial support.  Someone's got to do the media-whoring.

A huge problem is that most people don't even realise how many freedoms they currently have, so taking them away from them is no big deal because they don't even think they have them in the first place. A significant proportion of the population (judging by my experience) think the government knows absolutely everything about them and their lives already, so it's no surprise that they're not bothered about losing their right to privacy.

People need to be educated about what they've got before they'll care about what they're losing, unfortunately the majority of people don't want to be educated for whatever reason.

Why do you hate her?

???

mackems.gif  Such delicious cynicism in one so young. I love it!  :aww:

Why do you hate her?

???

Tell her there is no f***ing point.

mackems.gif  Such delicious cynicism in one so young. I love it!  :aww:

Someone has to keep everyone grounded :snod:

I don't understand why anyone thinks she's so good.

It's not as if she's the first to say this about increasing Government intrusion into our lives in the 60 years since 1984 was written.

In fact every civil rights campaigner in the UK has said more or less the same in the past.

I don't understand why anyone thinks she's so good.

It's not as if she's the first to say this about increasing Government intrusion into our lives in the 60 years since 1984 was written.

In fact every civil rights campaigner in the UK has said more or less the same in the past.

It can't be stated enough.

I think she's quality too.

Brown kept schtum about everything but the economy most of the time Blair was in charge, I thought it was because he couldn't say anything nice, so he said nothing.  It's been a shame he hasn't used his leadership to denounce a lot of the actions of his previous boss, because now the economy is fucked too he has nothing whatsoever going for him.

• 8 months later...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/whos_watching_you/8064333.stm

Camera grid to log number plates

By Richard Bilton

Special correspondent, BBC News

A national network of cameras and computers automatically logging car number plates will be in place within months, the BBC has learned.

Thousands of Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras are already operating on Britain's roads.

Police forces across England, Wales and Scotland will soon be able to share the information on one central computer.

Officers say it is a useful tool in fighting crime, but critics say the network is secretive and unregulated.

Kent's Chief Constable, Michael Fuller, commented: "We've seen an increase of some 40% of arrests since we've been using this technology.

"I'm very confident that we're using it properly and responsibly, and that innocent people have nothing to fear from the way we use it."

A number of local councils are signing up their Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) systems to the ANPR network. As long as the cameras are technically good enough, they can be adapted to take the software.

In towns such as Bradford, Portsmouth and Luton that means greater coverage for the police and more journeys captured and recorded.

John Dean, who is co-ordinating the ANPR network for the Association of Chief Police Officers, said: "It's the finest intelligence-led policing tool we've got.

"It covers so many different areas from crime reduction, crime detection to road safety and everything in between."

Marked car

But not everyone thinks it is such a good thing.

John Catt found himself on the wrong side of the ANPR system. He regularly attends anti-war demonstrations outside a factory in Brighton, his home town.

It was at one of these protests that Sussex police put a "marker" on his car. That meant he was added to a "hotlist".

This is a system meant for criminals but John Catt has not been convicted of anything and on a trip to London, the pensioner found himself pulled over by an anti-terror unit.

"I was threatened under the Terrorist Act. I had to answer every question they put to me, and if there were any questions I would refuse to answer, I would be arrested. I thought to myself, what kind of world are we living in?"

Sussex police would not talk about the case.

The police say they do not know how many cameras there are in total, and they say that for operational reasons they will not say where the fixed cameras are positioned.

'Limited resources'

Information Commissioner Richard Thomas, whose job it is to protect personal data, has concerns about the lack of regulation.

He said: "There's very little monitoring. I mean, my office has very limited powers.

"We have very limited resources. We are not actively monitoring that area. You're right to ask the question. No one's checking it at the moment"

The BBC TV series Who's Watching You? asked the Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, to comment on the Commissioner's views.

"It's something that we will look at further legislation about where necessary," she said.

"I don't think we should lose sight of the very considerable benefits that this technology also brings us, brings law enforcement."

Recent research by Huddersfield University found that the public seemed to share that view. The study took place in Leeds as the ANPR system was being introduced. The vast majority supported the cameras if they caught law breakers, with only a few mentioning concerns about police surveillance.

The police themselves say they have nothing to hide and would welcome the introduction of a regulatory code. But that seems some way off - and for now this secretive system continues to watch us and continues to grow.

BBC Two's Who's Watching You will begin on Monday, 25 May, 2009 at 2100 BST on BBC Two. Or watch afterwards on iPlayer .

:nope:

Are you shaking your head at me or the Big Brother goverrnment, mate?

The latter. It didn't used to bother me that much but it's getting fucking ridiculous. And that's before you remember they can't even be trusted not to leave this kind of data on a train or something.

Guest elbee909

Isn't she the cunt who talks about freedom of expression etc etc, but not a squeak about Islamic treatment of women - or for that matter the appallingly violent world of Islam.

Posh, privileged, harridan.

Ignore.

It's not Liberty's remit, probably why.