iPod Touch/iPhone games and apps

Dave

Seeing as there are quite a few us now with these frankly quite sexual devices, anyone got any recommendations on good games and apps, free and paid?

A good blog I've found showing and reviewing new games is here: www.toucharcade.com.

Interesting discussion of the relative power of the Touch/iPhone as a platform here: www.toucharcade.com/2008/07/07/under-the-hood-the-iphones-gaming-mettle/

And on a related note: www.toucharcade.com/2008/07/17/sega-iphone-is-as-powerful-as-the-dreamcast/ :yikes:

Seeing as there are quite a few us now with these frankly quite sexual devices, anyone got any recommendations on good games and apps, free and paid?

A good blog I've found showing and reviewing new games is here: www.toucharcade.com.

Interesting discussion of the relative power of the Touch/iPhone as a platform here: www.toucharcade.com/2008/07/07/under-the-hood-the-iphones-gaming-mettle/

And on a related note: www.toucharcade.com/2008/07/17/sega-iphone-is-as-powerful-as-the-dreamcast/ :yikes:

:iamatwat:

I haven't dared buying anything yet, apart from the 2.0 update when I got my Touch. And even that it turns out was a waste of money seeing as you can download it for nowt. :angry:

I keep wanting to buy some proper stuff but I'm scared of it being shit. :blush:

Anyone got Super Monkey Ball?

I've got Super Monkey Ball, it's addictive as fuck tbh.

I don't think you can listen to music while playing though, at least I haven't found a way to do it, which is quite shit.

EDIT: That football game Dave posted looks impressive!

"In the next updates: Real-Time multiplayer mode to go head-to-head with friends over Wi-Fi" :drool:

Is anyone else battery life really bad?

I have the 3 language ones French spanish and italian ideal if you are travelling or just out and meet some foreigners.

Cannons was good but is fucked, Bands ok but better if you can play stuff. NY times is good for news etc. But ive bought just Band really.

I've got Super Monkey Ball, it's addictive as fuck tbh.

I don't think you can listen to music while playing though, at least I haven't found a way to do it, which is quite shit.

EDIT: That football game Dave posted looks impressive!

"In the next updates: Real-Time multiplayer mode to go head-to-head with friends over Wi-Fi" :drool:

Canny impressive for this early in the app store's life tbh.

This may sound like a silly question. But on an ipod touch when you connect through wireless can you download your pod casts as well? I quite like the idea of not having to go and switch the PC on to let them download while I'm in the shower.....

This may sound like a silly question. But on an ipod touch when you connect through wireless can you download your pod casts as well? I quite like the idea of not having to go and switch the PC on to let them download while I'm in the shower.....

Yeah AFAIK, it'll just sync them back to iTunes when you next connect.

Yeah AFAIK, it'll just sync them back to iTunes when you next connect.

Unfortunately you can't download podcasts through the iTunes Wifi store if that's what you mean? I was gutted when I first realised. A lot of websites but a link to their podcast as an mp3 on their webpage though so you can stream it from there. For example If you browse to 1up.com and their podcast section you can click to download their podcast and it streams via the Quicktime player. Works great across wifi or 3g.

I had noticed that, would you recommend I get the newer generation instead or just letting me know?

Depends if you're bothered about the new bits mate.

They are:

Slightly thinner

Curved back

External speaker

Hardware volume buttons

Nike+ capability built-in

Already got firmware 2.1 (usually £5.99 to upgrade but I think you can get it for free anyway)

Better battery life

Ability to use a microphone

If you think that's worth the extra £60 then it's up to you, but personally I only think the battery life is significant. The others I can easily live without.

I had noticed that, would you recommend I get the newer generation instead or just letting me know?

Depends if you're bothered about the new bits mate.

They are:

Slightly thinner

Curved back

External speaker

Hardware volume buttons

Nike+ capability built-in

Already got firmware 2.1 (usually £5.99 to upgrade but I think you can get it for free anyway)

Better battery life

Ability to use a microphone

If you think that's worth the extra £60 then it's up to you, but personally I only think the battery life is significant. The others I can easily live without.

They are all really good reasons, now (when mine FINALLY gets delivered) i wont have to listen to youtube clips or whatever through headphones like when im on my friends at hers. But if someone is on the bus using it :rant:

Volume buttons too are good

I'd only be bothered about the speaker for playing games at home. Everything else it's virtually useless to me, as I'll have my earphones in anyway. The volume controls would be nice, but I'm not troubled by having to use the touchscreen instead.

Btw check your PMs for the firmware link. :pow: