Warhammer Online - Age of Reckoning

afar

Is bloody amazing !!

Evetually got into the headstart last night (the game went live over here (North America) at midnight last night).

I'm a bit baised being a veteran DAOC player, but it's everything I hope for from Mythic.

So if there are any MMORPGers out there, fully recommend you give it a shot.

I got into the guild beta and played it for a few months, liked it and had even pre-ordered the Collectors Edition. Ultimately though I decided that it wouldn't be worth it starting another MMO since it is basically "MMORPG vs EVERYTHING ELSE", at least if you aim to play it on at least a semi-hardcore level.

Really, really tempted, but I am a recovering Wowcaholic so not sure it would be a good idea...

I played WoW for 3 years, had a 70 in all Horde classes except Paladin, had 2 60 Alliance chars also.  It is an extremely fun game, very polished, but is such a grind if you are not grinding raid gear, you're grinding rep or you're grinding gold to pay for the gear.

Warhammer brings something different to the  table, especially if you were not lucky enough to enjoy DAOC in it's hayday. WoW never truely got to terms with PVP, Mythic the creators of WAR are experts in it, honestly RVR is just huge amounts of fun, I was RVRing in Sceanorios (similar to BGs in WoW) at lvl 2 last night !

I'm not saying if you've played and loved WoW, which a lot of people have, that this game will pull you away, but it really is worth trying out because it does something WoW doesn't do very well. I know plenty of people who have hated PVP in other MMO's but loved RVR in DAOC and WAR takes it up a notch.

Damn I sound like an advert for them.

I got into the guild beta and played it for a few months, liked it and had even pre-ordered the Collectors Edition. Ultimately though I decided that it wouldn't be worth it starting another MMO since it is basically "MMORPG vs EVERYTHING ELSE", at least if you aim to play it on at least a semi-hardcore level.

Very true MMO's too kind of take over your free time. I remember one weekend a few years back when I played DAOC, we went to get our relics back from Midgard, who had had the cheek to take them from our relic keep. Some 200 of us spent all weekend assault their relic keeps, finaly brought them back home at 6am on the Monday morning. I got 2 hours sleep that whole weekend !

I'm a little more careful nowadayas though, don't pull many 2 o'clock finishes anymore but it can take your life if you don't show some restraint.

i've been tempted as some of my mates from WoW are playing it and say its good.

But i have just recently started playing WoW again after a big break and doing it in moderation is actually quite fun again.

I was considering getting force unleashed, blazing through that and trading it in for WAR

I'm slightly tempted, though i've never played a MMORPG properly before (play on a friends wow for a few hours but never really got it). This looks good though, less pointless grinding than wow, and I like the warhammer races etc far more than wow. Wonder if they are going to give out trial cd's like they did with wow.

I'm slightly tempted, though i've never played a MMORPG properly before (play on a friends wow for a few hours but never really got it). This looks good though, less pointless grinding than wow, and I like the warhammer races etc far more than wow. Wonder if they are going to give out trial cd's like they did with wow.

i've been tempted as some of my mates from WoW are playing it and say its good.

But i have just recently started playing WoW again after a big break and doing it in moderation is actually quite fun again.

I was considering getting force unleashed, blazing through that and trading it in for WAR

One of the great things about WAR is that it's easy to play in moderation, if you've only got an 30 mins to kill, you can do something worthwhile in that time, join a public quest do a scenario, fight for your realm. The focus isn't really one 3 or 4 hours instance raids, like it is in WoW and the game is not as gear dependent.

I went back to WoW too when I moved to Canada, I had spent 3 years on the Euro servers (which are awful), took a year away from MMO's, came back on the US servers, leveled a lock to 41 but cancelled my sub, I was playing LOTRO at the same time too, which just made me realise what a pointless grind everything was in WoW. For me the game had just got old, they all do tbh, I'm sure WAR will in a few years also. I stopped playing DAOC because it had grown old for me, WoW was the same, LOTRO has that feeling right now. WAR is new and shiney so it's obiviously pulling me, but it also a damn good game too. From what I've heard sales have been pretty, EA apparently broke the pre-order sales record on this. I don't think it will reach the 10 Million that play WoW but it'll do very well, for sure.

Like I said before, if you are thinking of trying it and have 20 or 30 quid spare, it really is worth trying out, might not be everyone's cup of tea but considering it's only just been released it's very stable, there are things they need to work on, as is the case in all MMO's but there's nothing game breaking, so it's easy enough to form an opinion.

The trial CD thing is usually a tactic companies use when the game is flagging a bit, unfortunately I doubt we'll see any trial CDs for a year or so.

There was an Open and Closed Beta (which in NA have just finished, I'm not sure about the EU but think it's pretty much the same) where you could sign up on their website and apply to get access, some places were also giving out free keys, also if you pre ordered from one of the retailors that were participating, you got a Beta key (that also got you into headstart, I actually was able to start 2 days before the game went live).

If you don't want to commit the money to buying the game but still want to try it, the only thing I think you can do is ask a friend if you can stop by their house and try it out.

Here's a link to the openning cut scene, it really does wet the apetite:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/warhammeronline/video/6196450/warhammer-online-age-of-reckoning-official-movie-10

822MB patch on install. Time for a cuppa  :laugh2:

30 mins later.....  loader at 20% I mean how the fuck can you release a game and have nearly a gig worth of patches on it's first day. Better be good mind.

30 mins later.....  loader at 20% I mean how the f*** can you release a game and have nearly a gig worth of patches on it's first day. Better be good mind.

You'll see that with just about every MMO released from now on. When they burn the discs, they are burn't weeks or even months before release, they are still going through the Beta stages, fixing things and adjusting things. Obviously nowadays games are as so bloody big, it's going to take a long time to download the patches.

It took me less than 30 mins to patch up but I have a super fast connection at home.

Trust me it'll be worth the wait, problem I'm having at the moment is deciding upon a class, just can't make my mind up right now :)

Is this basically C&C with Warhammer?

Nope, not at all. It's a mssively multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG), if you've played the genre before, you'll be familiar with it. World of warcraft is easily the most recognizable game in the genre, although it was not the first, WAR like all MMORPGs takes something from other games in the genre such as WoW and Dark age of Camelot (the maker's previous game). It's a completely different form of gaming, it really is, if you get into it , it can also get a little bit obessive.

C&C is a real time strategy game, I think there is an online element to it but it's not massively multiplayer and doesn't have communities likee MMO's have.

If you've never tried an MMO before, it's worth trrying though I would advise showing some form of moderation as they are not easy to put down.

30 mins later.....  loader at 20% I mean how the f*** can you release a game and have nearly a gig worth of patches on it's first day. Better be good mind.

You'll see that with just about every MMO released from now on. When they burn the discs, they are burn't weeks or even months before release, they are still going through the Beta stages, fixing things and adjusting things. Obviously nowadays games are as so bloody big, it's going to take a long time to download the patches.

It took me less than 30 mins to patch up but I have a super fast connection at home.

Trust me it'll be worth the wait, problem I'm having at the moment is deciding upon a class, just can't make my mind up right now :)

Well, i've played lots of rpg's and 822MB is a massive release  patch. It would take me 25 mins or so to download the patch with my connection if it was full speed. The servers are chocka, it's nothing to do with my connection. Sorry, it's just annoying.

I've decided to roll destruction: Greenskin/Goblin Shaman. That might change by the time it has patched though :)

Is this basically C&C with Warhammer?

Nope, not at all. It's a mssively multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG), if you've played the genre before, you'll be familiar with it. World of warcraft is easily the most recognizable game in the genre, although it was not the first, WAR like all MMORPGs takes something from other games in the genre such as WoW and Dark age of Camelot (the maker's previous game). It's a completely different form of gaming, it really is, if you get into it , it can also get a little bit obessive.

C&C is a real time strategy game, I think there is an online element to it but it's not massively multiplayer and doesn't have communities likee MMO's have.

If you've never tried an MMO before, it's worth trrying though I would advise showing some form of moderation as they are not easy to put down.

Could say that again, my play time of WoW in a period of 5 months was 45 days.

Then again my FM play time is probably similar too.