Comment made to me lately

NE5

As I posted to you on TT. I feel like that and I'm 23 ffs. It's ridiculous. The game has lost what it was originally about, the fans. It's sold it's soul to the highest bidder.

I'm over the chuff I've renewed for three seasons, obviously.

As I posted to you on TT. I feel like that and I'm 23 ffs. It's ridiculous. The game has lost what it was originally about, the fans. It's sold it's soul to the highest bidder. I'm over the chuff I've renewed for three seasons, obviously.

Did you ?

It wasn't you mate  ;D

Must be catching ........ it was by someone who has "gave it up" [who supports another club] and doesn't regret it.

Life would definitely be easier without football.

One of the lads I work with on Saturdays is not the slightest interested in football, and he just can't understand why I get upset when we lose. He's got a point in that there's no point in letting affect your mood as much as it does, but I can't help it.

Well Ive tried to, like miss a match, but it doesnt matter if we loose i get pissed at myself and regret i didn't watch the match although i had the chance. Newcastle is a part of my life, but fortunately i wont let it affect me socially. I hope that one day we'll win a title, and that when that day come i will think it was worth every minute watching this team.

Football i will though never even try to forget it, its a part of me, and as a player for more then 13 years now, i won't ever stop. It's a part of me, just like my family, friends and the man above us all (more important than football ofcourse) But i wouldn't give up football for anything!

Since I no longer pay money out for my season ticket (kind of a long trip from Calgary for me now :)) I can't really comment here.

I still buy some merchandise and pay for setanta (which inderictly goes to the club). So I guess I can make a small statement.

As much as I wish I could, I can't divorce myself from NUFC. Having said that if I was given a choice to have them removed from my heart and Manure or some other equally succesfull club inserted in their place, I strangely don't think I would take that option.

Guest pandaknowsbest

I barely take any notice of football nowadays, bar looking at the results, and browsing forums. Not even the return of Keegan inspired me to start watching games again. Pro gaming over xbox live is where the excitement is for me these days. Quite frankly nothing beats the thrill of knowing your actually a part of something special and seeing your team climbing the ladders on GB. its still a fairly young sport, but the passion is fiery

I barely take any notice of football nowadays, bar looking at the results, and browsing forums. Not even the return of Keegan inspired me to start watching games again. Pro gaming over xbox live is where the excitement is for me these days. Quite frankly nothing beats the thrill of knowing your actually a part of something special and seeing your team climbing the ladders on GB. its still a fairly young sport, but the passion is fiery

What a dweeb. :lol:

:lol:

there was a spell when i didn't bother with football that wasn't NUFC. gambling has reignited my intrest. on the other hand i've said for about a decade that the football is a glue that keeps that particular circle of friends togeteher and if they gave me a ticket for nowt but i had to go straight to the match then straight home after......i doubt i'd bother.

It's getting harder to love the game, at least at the top level. The idea that the only way a club can compete is to find a foreign billionnaire to buy them is depressing as fuck. Wow, you won the league? So what.

The drama still grabs me and I'll probably always love NUFC, but if I was a season ticket holder and went every week I don't know how I would feel.

But that's the bigger picture, and I soon forget it whenever I get to a game and just enjoy the match. It's a weird paradox, being almost permanently worried/pissed off between matches, then loving it once you're there.

I don't have a strong desire to watch every other team though, I mean I wouldn't care at all if I missed Liverpool v Man Utd.

I just laughed out loud and had to explain to my boss what i found so funny there... You cannot be serious dude? Forum browsing and 'pro gaming' is your interest in football?! hahahaha

this is actually a really depressing thread, simply because its so true.

Football has sold its soul to the Devil, and it'll neve get it back. Im not sick of football because we're crap, because even back in the Daglish, Guillit even Souness era's, i always had hope that the next gaffer to come in will change things and get us back where we belong. But now, because of whats happened with all these new owners, that hope has gone. Its kind of like, whats the point anymore?! As mee mate on here Eggybread said when KK left, he wasnt actually that bothered because we simply dont have the resources to compete with the "top 5" as it is now, anyways.

so yeah sometimes i do wish i didnt love football/newcastle as much as i do. But then i think of spending a Saturday afternoon trawling round Northumberland street with the wife and comparing it to being at Central having a few beers and there really is no comparision!  >:D

It os becoming more like Rugby in that players are being bought in the game taught to play an exact way and as Rugby players are better at actually doing that, im starting to become quite a fan of the sport.

I love football, but as i live in Birmingham (and Gloucester due to Uni) it is just becomng to expensive to follow the team i love. I will never stop following football, it would be physically impossible for me to just ignore the fact that Toon were playing, and i will always be down if we lose. But what is just following results? You have to be there to be apart of the sport.

R.I.P real football.

that's the crux imo.

NUFC vs. Football in general

which is more important? the sport or the club?

if the sport didn't exist, the club wouldn't exist and vice versa

which would you give up first? football? or NUFC?

i think in 99.99% of supporters' minds, they're one and the same. if you can't give one up, you cant give up the other

top thread NE5

Bringing Keegan back was proof there was still room for sentiment and romance in football. And the way he has been treated by Ashley and his associates has been absolutely shocking, he deserved much more. The day when business wins over a true footballing man like Keegan is everything what is wrong with the game at the moment.

As mee mate on here Eggybread said when KK left, he wasnt actually that bothered because we simply dont have the resources to compete with the "top 5" as it is now, anyways.

I suppose that's why I was so willing to support Ashley and his long term plan. If we're going to come 5th-10th anyway, we may as well do it the right way.

which would you give up first? football? or NUFC?

Obviously if I gave up NUFC I would be watching football a lot less. Could never do that though, as long as there is an NUFC I could never follow football without supporting them.

The only way to save the game at the minute in my opinion is to start capping transfers and wages. For instance, each team can only spend £20m maximum every year. If they want to spend more, they have to sell to buy.

I'd love to see that, but it would have to be a worldwide consensus, which I can't ever see being possible. And it would be like turkeys voting for Christmas, the owners, agents and officials are all beneficiaries of the massive amount of money in football.

Yep, made a remark along similar lines in another thread yesterday. We will be bought by someone looking to either run us as a business or use us as a status symbol. Very very probably someone not even UK based and with what is likely to be a fleeting interest in football. I can't turn off my passion for the game, i've tried not to think about it and during my teen years i veered away a bit, replacing fanatical support with something a little less intense, but as i've gone through my twenties my passion has got stronger as we've got worse and football has gone down the pan. I just can't help myself and i don't know why, it is a total addiction and sometimes I wonder if it is unhealthy. But what scares me is what the game is going to be to my children (if and when i have any). How do you explain what it used to be like? Why you fell in love with it? If all that remains is a bunch of assholes kicking a ball around answering to their offshore owner who uses the club as a plaything and a manager who is just part of a 'system' of faceless executives / scouts. There are so few characters left in the game, so few genuinely likeable people compared to even 10-15 years ago. The further you go back, the closer the players were to the fans, as we go forward you feel half the time the crowd is actually a distraction to them and they feel nothing but contempt.

All that remains is the fans. They are what keeps my addiction alive and without fellow fans i think my love for the game would die. It's the banter, the tribalism and the common cause. Nothing else matters so much. I hope in time disillusionment grows into anger and anger into a movement that sees fans follow AFC Wimbledon and FC United into the realms of the lower league and supporter-started clubs. At least at that point we can start afresh, knowing that one day it'll develop into the same again most likely, but safe in the knowledge that if it gets too big it's the fans right to knock it down and start again, rather than our passion being dictated to us by Rupert Murdoch and cohorts. Live the dream!

It's the attitudes towards football that's changed.

People generally don't seem to get excited about it like they used to. All the talk through the first few days of the week was about endlessly picking out the weaknesses, the strengths, the main areas for improvement, of the previous performance. Then, as Thursday and Friday arrive, the buzz of going to your club's ground for a 3pm kick off.

Nope. For a start, be damn pleased if your side actually plays at 3pm on a Saturday. Or should that be, 5.30 on Sultana? Midweek games also take the excitement out of the previously iconic Saturday game.

We all say we don't like how the media (TV) is taking the soul out of football. However, people pay for the new super duper mega sports channel pack that will guarantee them 25,000 games per day, with incisive buffoons such as Jamie Redknapp pretending he knows tactics.

So, we're told "go to the game then". Simple. I'll just crack out that spare 40 quid I have for a decent seat every week, or what, 500-600 for a season ticket? Not sure about exact figures tbh. People like myself would love nothing more than getting to every game for my club. Sadly, I've been totally priced out of it.

And so we're left with a sorry state of affairs.

But, for me, I still love it. It's a possibly irrational but still clear love of the game, and my club. But I live with every ooh, every aah, every oh-so-close. I love the banter, I love when we score goals, and I love the game itself.

Go on. You know you do too.

:lol:

Pro gaming a sport mackems.gif

Guest Darth Toon

Bringing Keegan back was proof there was still room for sentiment and romance in football. And the way he has been treated by Ashley and his associates has been absolutely shocking, he deserved much more. The day when business wins over a true footballing man like Keegan is everything what is wrong with the game at the moment.

Same here - the return of Keegan really reignited my previously dwindling passion - a lot of it was probably down to nostalgia, but this is the first season in a good while I've genuinely looked forward to.

That'll teach me.