8 Minutes to Disaster

Dave

Seriously though, I wasn't on about the real incidents. I was referring to the sheer number of complete wankers ringing the emergency services just because they're pissed and that. Fucking pathetic cunts, they should be put down.

Seriously though, I wasn't on about the real incidents. I was referring to the sheer number of complete wankers ringing the emergency services just because they're pissed and that. Fucking pathetic cunts, they should be put down.

Spot on mate.

The last thing shown was them picking up a little lad who'd been knocked down and had severe head injuries. They did everything in double-quick time and rushed him to A&E. He made a full recovery.

The paramedic who drives that particular ambulance said as he came back out of the hospital: "That's what an ambulance is for", and he's absolutely right.

So how do we counteract these stupid plebs who take up valuable time and resources phoning an ambulance cos they've fallen out of bed?

Maybe it should be the case that the NHS is privatised so that calling an ambulance had financial implications for the individual? That would stop them, surely?

So how do we counteract these stupid plebs who take up valuable time and resources phoning an ambulance cos they've fallen out of bed?

Maybe it should be the case that the NHS is privatised so that calling an ambulance had financial implications for the individual? That would stop them, surely?

You charge them.

Just like the plebs who go climbing mountains in blizzards when they know fine well it's far too dangerous. Risking other peoples lives because they're thick as mince and ignorant.

Where would you draw the line though? Some cases might seem like timewasters at first glance, but there's sometimes otherwise hidden needs uncovered through these sort of callouts/encounters.

Just don't think it's always as cut & dried as that, unfortunately.

Where would you draw the line though? Some cases might seem like timewasters at first glance, but there's sometimes otherwise hidden needs uncovered through these sort of callouts/encounters.

Just don't think it's always as cut & dried as that, unfortunately.

Oh I'm not denying that accidents happen and the Emergency Rescue teams we've got in this country are superb.  :thup:

I'm talking about the wankers who decide to take ridiculous risks despite knowing the hazards. People who have seen the weather forecast and have decide to climb one of the Cairngorms regardless and have (inevitably) got stuck and a rescue team has been scrambled.

Wankers who phone 999 because they're locked out of their house.

Obvious shit. It would act as a deterrent to other thick shits.

Sadly the wasters are a price we pay for having a brilliant system that can help anybody.

Maybe fining people after the fact is a possibility, but I wouldn't do anything that would put people off getting medical help. You know some old lady will be thinking 'ooh, it's nothing serious, just a bit of chest pain, can't risk the fine', and keel over with a heart attack minutes later.

Make 999 and 112 premium rate numbers, £5 per minute or something, that is charged only if the ambulance crew deem it to be a genuinely required call-out.

Just imagine the number of poor little old women that would leave sat dying but scared to ring 999 in case they got charged.

Sadly the wasters are a price we pay for having a brilliant system that can help anybody.

Maybe fining people after the fact is a possibility, but I wouldn't do anything that would put people off getting medical help. You know some old lady will be thinking 'ooh, it's nothing serious, just a bit of chest pain, can't risk the fine', and keel over with a heart attack minutes later.

I retract my post as Ian W has made the point far better than I earlier.

:thup:

Make 999 and 112 premium rate numbers, £5 per minute or something, that is charged only if the ambulance crew deem it to be a genuinely required call-out.

Just imagine the number of poor little old women that would leave sat dying but scared to ring 999 in case they got charged.

From the snapshot provided by that documentary, they sit there dying anyway, not wanting to cause the bother. Alternatively they die because the ambulance crew are too busy picking up a drunkard from the road edge... :dontknow:

It just really wound me up, and can't think of many other ways to reduce it.

From the snapshot provided by that documentary, they sit there dying anyway, not wanting to cause the bother. Alternatively they die because the ambulance crew are too busy picking up a drunkard from the road edge... :dontknow:

It just really wound me up, and can't think of many other ways to reduce it.

name and shame. every year the emergency services publish some of the ridiculous calls they get. put names to them aswell as an ad campaign aimed at explaining to the fucwits what the emergency services are really for.

name and shame. every year the emergency services publish some of the ridiculous calls they get. put names to them aswell as an ad campaign aimed at explaining to the fucwits what the emergency services are really for.

I'm not entirely convinced that people give much of a shit about the 'shame' these days. See the ASBO 'badge of honour' thing. They'll probably think it's clever.

Agree they should be putting out regular messages on the telly though.

I'm not entirely convinced that people give much of a shit about the 'shame' these days. See the ASBO 'badge of honour' thing. They'll probably think it's clever.

Agree they should be putting out regular messages on the telly though.

The only people that would are the little old ladies mentioned above.

You've got to leave it as a free service to all that feel they need it.  You've got to have people answering the 999 calls who can discriminate between time wasters and valid cases, and you need paramedics who'll give time wasters shit when they've demanded help.

A publiclicised deterrent will only put off those who are vulnerable.

You've got to leave it as a free service to all that feel they need it.  You've got to have people answering the 999 calls who can discriminate between time wasters and valid cases, and you need paramedics who'll give time wasters shit when they've demanded help.

Do you think? When I was growing up I always knew (don't actually know how...) that calling 999 was an absolute last resort, that it was for genuine emergencies only. In fact it was kind of a scary proposition, not only because it would mean something bad had happened, but also because it was so unlikely to be required. Has that feeling disappeared these days?

Good points btw.

Do you think? When I was growing up I always knew (don't actually know how...) that calling 999 was an absolute last resort, that it was for genuine emergencies only. In fact it was kind of a scary proposition, not only because it would mean something bad had happened, but also because it was so unlikely to be required. Has that feeling disappeared these days?

Good points btw.

Interesting points these.

I was always taught, if you're in any doubt that something could be serious, get an ambulance. No fannying about with doctors and stuff like that.

I wouldn't do it for a stubbed toe like, but you know what I mean.