Angry Passengers Set Train Alight

LooneyToonArmy

those Argies eh......I wonder what they`d think of our reliable rail system

-------

Angry Passengers Set Train Alight

Fed up with morning rush hour delays, angry commuters in Argentina have set a train on fire and pelted it with rocks.

FURIOUS rail commuters in Argentina have set fire to a train in anger over delays during the morning rush hour.

Television images showed black smoke and flames engulfing the train at the station of Merlo, in the western suburbs of the capital, Buenos Aires.

At nearby Castelar, passengers hurled stones at the ticket office and blocked the rails.

"We understand that people get angry when the service is delayed or canceled, but they absolutely can't attack a public service in this way," Gustavo Gago, a spokesman for rail company TBA, told local television.

Many passengers said the delays, caused by a broken down train, had cost them a day's work.

Argentina's dilapidated rail services are plagued by delays and travelers' anger sometimes erupts into violence.

Last year, commuters torched a carriage at a station south of the capital and rioting broke out at a main railway station when passengers clashed with police, causing dozens of injuries and arrests.

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2008/Sep/Week1/15093568.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24297083-38199,00.html

A similar thing happened a few months ago didn't it, when they trashed a train station?

If you've ever commuted on First Great Western trains you'll have nothing but sympathy for these fellas. I've been close to losing it a number of times. When you're talking about 3 out of 4 peak time trains being delayed it gets right on your tits. And they don't even count in the statistics unless they're more than 10 minutes delayed.

We need a serious high-speed train system, ours is a joke compared to some countries. Although slightly better than Argentina!

(Not to mention that it costs an absolute fortune)

anyone use the trains regular. I do and the vast majority are on time. mush better punctuality than my flying experiences.

true that....I flew quite often with KLM/Air France and was regularly delayed (KLM esp)........didn`t mind too much because I got between 250 euro and 400 euros compensation plus each time there was a delay of over 90 mins (IIRC) along with air miles due to the rules (which I cite to them when they conveniently forget)