New Router

Gash

Guest LucaAltieri

What make of router is it, what are the settings of it. I.e did you set it to auto or set it up yourself with static ip's.

Shhh, guessing these important details is half the fun.

Guest LucaAltieri

What make of router is it, what are the settings of it. I.e did you set it to auto or set it up yourself with static ip's.

Its belkin and i did auto set up

Quick fix:

Throw it away, Buy a Netgear.

Guest kingdawson

Its belkin and i did auto set up

I've got a belkin and it stopped working after a week. Very poor router and i also had the same problem with msn (so did my mate).

After all that I think I might have a similar problem. I've not tried bypassing the router and just plugging straight into the modem to see if it's a router based problem or not and I've not tried forwarding any ports yet. If it's not the router's fault then I'll try reconfiguring the modem and if I have to I'll contact the ISP.

Does anyone know, like I said in the other thread, if browser-based MSN supporting clients like Meebo and/or multi-IM supporting applications like Trillian are any more reliable when it comes to not bouncing/dropping (losing...) messages?

I don't use MSN/WLM a great deal nowadays tbh but I'm trying those two things at the moment since I'd rather know in case I have to use it.

After all that I think I might have a similar problem. I've not tried bypassing the router and just plugging straight into the modem to see if it's a router based problem or not and I've not tried forwarding any ports yet. If it's not the router's fault then I'll try reconfiguring the modem and if I have to I'll contact the ISP.

Does anyone know, like I said in the other thread, if browser-based MSN supporting clients like Meebo and/or multi-IM supporting applications like Trillian are any more reliable when it comes to not bouncing/dropping (losing...) messages?

I don't use MSN/WLM a great deal nowadays tbh but I'm trying those two things at the moment since I'd rather know in case I have to use it.

Check your MTU rate on your router matches that which your isp requests, i've had mine drop packets because I had it too low.

BT here and 1500 or 1492 seems to work on the MTU I originally had it set to 1400 which dropped the packets.

Also try and add your pc ip to the dmz on your router which will allow all ports but only do it for testing

Yeah it's definitely a router problem because I've been plugged straight into the modem for the last hour or so and it's worked absolutely fine.

I'll have a look into the router settings later tonight but I could do with the software that my housemate has, which isn't good because she's away for a few days.

Use your phone instead.

Guest LucaAltieri

Can anyone recommend a new router?

£40 limit and TalkTalk compatible.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG834G-54Mbps-Wireless-Firewall/dp/B0000TZ8Z8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223068525&sr=1-1

Anyone used this router?

I believe we are using the same router at the moment... and on talk talk. Router is ace, talk talk isn't - but you probably know that already.

Also, we use standard Netgear routers on 400+ sites at work. They perfect. Work a treat, reliable, piece of piss to setup. That is unless you live in Jersey. For some reason they can't hold a connection for shit with Jersey Telecom.

Anyway, you don't really need to pay more than £30 delivered for a Netgear router.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=netgear+router

Ended up ordering a totally different model by mistake which is just a standard router, no modem in it whatsoever  :doh:

Luckily the guy on Ebay is giving me a refund and i've ordered the right one this time :lol: