Oba Martins tells it like it is

Guest hindu times

Guest hindu times

OBAFEMI MARTINS fears the growing crisis at Newcastle could lead to a player exodus.

The Toon striker has broken the silence to speak out against owner Mike Ashley.

He insists the players are ‘shocked’ and ‘depressed’ by Kevin Keegan’s controversial exit.

Ashley is now frantically trying to sell the club while searching for a new manager.

But Nigerian ace Martins, 23, says Keegan might not be the only person to go and he admits he is one of several players considering their futures.

Ahead of today’s trip to West Ham, Martins said: “Yes I have been thinking deep about my own career. But I will never let that affect my game because I have to give my all.

“Everyone is entitled to their own decision and career. Events like this will only trigger speculation.

“If the players are determined to succeed they will not allow what just happened to bother them. But nothing will surprise me in the coming months.”

Martins, who has played under three managers since joining Newcastle from Inter two years ago, admits Keegan’s resignation ripped both the squad and Toon fans apart.

But he praised skipper Michael Owen for keeping morale up and insists Newcastle could yet salvage a European spot.

He said: “No one is happy about the situation but Michael has been rallying the players together.

“I know if we get other injured players back we can ride the storm and give the fans an opportunity to believe in this great club once more. We should focus on the games ahead.

“A place in the UEFA Cup is not beyond this club.”

He added: “Kevin’s departure came as a rude shock. I don’t know what led to it but it’s a huge setback.

“For the fans it’s a huge blow and you can see how they expressed their anger, putting the pressure on the owner.

“They truly love and admire Kevin Keegan. I feel so much for the fans because they don’t deserve it.”

Martins added: “I don’t know who’s to blame. The only losers are the fans and the players.

“It’s normal that players feel depressed. We all like him as a manager.

“In my opinion we have a good squad of players who showed against Manchester United that we can break into the top seven.

“Personally it has been frustrating for me as I’ve been injured. I’m just looking forward to getting back.”

f'ng love oba martins. if there was an exodus, i'd be saddest to see him go. he's by far my fav player in a toon shirt. say what you want about him, but hes always been positive, always lively and has never once sulked for our squad. he loves it here, and i just hope to god we appoint a manager who can keep this squad together.

cant wait to see him play with xisco and owen up top.

Gutted by the whole situation. It's just the darkest times for this club - i think the club was starting to hit a real peak at one point as things stood but now its been ripped completely apart, i think as a club we're at one of our lowest ebbs in recent times. Zog something like 22 and has played for something like 5 soon to be 6 different managers, thats a shocking fact.

Cursed.

Gutted by the whole situation. It's just the darkest times for this club - i think the club was starting to hit a real peak at one point as things stood but now its been ripped completely apart, i think as a club we're at one of our lowest ebbs in recent times. Zog something like 22 and has played for something like 5 soon to be 6 different managers, thats a shocking fact.

Cursed.

It was the same for Milner, I'm not sure that he'd ever started and finished a season here with the same manager.

having been a season ticket holder for 15 years now, this is comfortably the lowest we've been in my time as a supporter

I agree. I put this up with the whole SBR debacle but i think it comfortably overshadows it.

Its not just that the whole episode is a shamble its the fact that after so may years we were finally what seemed to be on the right track and it just got ripped out of our grips at the worst possible time.

The fact that i've merely shrugged at the idea of Martins leaving pretty much epitomises how i feel.

This is fucking horrific. Two weeks ago i'd be absolutely mortified if Oba were to leave, i fucking love him. Now it's just like... 'yep, it's gonna happen'.

Absolute quagmire. Fucking shit. Hate it.

One of our best players, both in ability and attitude. I love him.

It has to be said though, with all the muscle strains he gets that puts him out for 2~3 weeks at key moments, he's deceptively injury-prone. With that and his already erratic play style, he's not really a player that can be depended upon week-in week-out.

Scary to think Owen could go for free, we need to give a new deal asap, regardless of Ashleys plans, he is still the owner and still needs to address issues like this.

Do you honestly think Owen would sign a new deal at this point in time?

I think the only hope for keeping Owen (and possibly quite a few of the other players) is for Ashley to sell the club to a multi-billionaire who would show real ambition with major investment in the first team.

If this situation drags on until the next transfer window prepare for the transfer request avalanche.

I don't think this tells us much about the mood in the camp. He talks about determination and keeping spirits up, but at the same time there's talk of depression and players leaving. I think the whole of the club - fans, players, coaching staff, owner - are all in a bit of a state of shock and we need some stability.

I'm a serial Owen-basher, I know, but how effective can he be at rallying the troops when he himself is patently uncommitted to the club? The captain and ex-manager seem to have been getting a lot of support recently, but in practice they've been the pair that have been the least committed.

I don't think this tells us much about the mood in the camp. He talks about determination and keeping spirits up, but at the same time there's talk of depression and players leaving. I think the whole of the club - fans, players, coaching staff, owner - are all in a bit of a state of shock and we need some stability.

I'm a serial Owen-basher, I know, but how effective can he be at rallying the troops when he himself is patently uncommitted to the club? The captain and ex-manager seem to have been getting a lot of support recently, but in practice they've been the pair that have been the least committed.

We are all individuals with our own wildly differing views and opinions and standards of behaviour, on this planet, and I accept that.  It is difficult at times (and I often wonder if some of us ARE on the same planet!) but I accept it and the bizarre views on many aspects of life (football included) that some people have.

The above (in bold) though, makes me wonder afresh, whether we should seriously consider setting up 'secure compounds' for some people . . . I really do.

Gotta love Oba. Very honest coments. Gutted if he goes. If he starts on Sat we have half a chance, if he doesn't i fear the worst now that Keegan and Milner have gone.

Ah man I wish you hadn't just said that  :laugh:

Milner would come in more than a little bit handy now as he'd have to be a better option than Duff or Geremi on the RW. Never understood his critics. He was clearly one of our best players. Fantastic young player. O'neil is no mug and paid £12m and Benitez wanted him too.