Where are the back up youngsters?

TRon

So we have Bassong, who looks the business. Who do we have when Beye is missing? Who steps in if Nicky Butt gets injured? Not that I would want him to like...

Don't we have young players coming through the ranks who could step in short term? Who plays holding midfield in the reserves for example?

This over-reliance on experience is meaningless if you are playing people out of position where they have little experience, or the side becomes unbalanced.

Josh Walker (England U18 captain) defensive midfielder, Newcastle fan & from Killingworth is at Boro. Jack Colback from Cramlington is midfielder & is at Sunderland. Liam Noble a central midfielder who got called up to a England youth  team last year & played for Cramlignton boys club is at Sunderland.

We have not got any decent youngsters in centre midfield on our books, this is going off last year. Hopefully some  of the lads we took in this year will be of a higher standard.

Josh Walker (England U18 captain) defensive midfielder, Newcastle fan & from Killingworth is at Boro. Jack Colback from Cramlington is midfielder & is at Sunderland. Liam Noble a central midfielder who got called up to a England youth  team last year & played for Cramlignton boys club is at Sunderland.

We have not got any decent youngsters in centre midfield on our books, this is going off last year. Hopefully some  of the lads we took in this year will be of a higher standard.

Disgraceful state of affairs.

Can't we poach them lads as they under 18? Arsenal do it.

Josh signed a contract extension till 2009 with the Boro. He scored a nice goal from the edge of the box when on loan with Aberdeen against Bayern Munich. I am sure it is on Youtube.

Not sure what sort of deal the other 2 lads are on. I am guessing Colback will be on 1st or 2nd year pro deal, Noble on an Academy contract.

Be a shame if we let another Carrick through our grasp as the biggest NE club ( I couldnt give a monkeys what Sunderland say ) we need to be on the fore front of talent, links with all the boys clubs and always watching the best talent is the one on your doorstep.

Do we have much in the way of local scouts? I never rated Mills in terms of European finds but having played and lived here i'd happily re-hire him for local finds. I mean whoever established the like of Carroll Donniger and Godsmark and Ameobi as talent needs shooting.

In my view, part of the reason we lost against Hull and Wes Ham was because the midfield collectively was too slow. If you have Cacapa, Butt and Geremi all in the same team together, then while on paper it might look like a good side, in reality the younger fresher opposition will run rings round those doddering fossils. They just can't get up and down the pitch quickly enough.

Some younger alternatives make a lot of difference as Guthrie has shown. A Liverpool reserve but already more important to the midfield than any of those mentioned. We need a defensive version to replace Butt as well.

I think we haven't had any decent players coming through for a while. Kris Gate, Alan O'Brien, Peter Ramage, Mark Brittain are just some who haven't made it. Carroll looks good at reserve level, but hasn't done enough at Preston or in the brief games at Mewcastle to say he will. Taylor is alright, but not exactly 'steady eddy'.

But if we look the likes of Cattermole and Carrick prove this region has potential for good midfielders, but then it could be argued our poor surrondings may have developed them into the next Brittain.

Do we have much in the way of local scouts?

Yes we do. It is the club they don't want to join. The Boro setup is superb in what it gives you off the field & they give players a chance & loan a load of players out. Which is handy if you get booted out from your club, because at least you have some first team game experience on your CV, unlike the likes of our lads who have nothing on there CV so the vast majority of them go straight to non-league football or hit the States or Oz.

Ron Bone is in charge of the Boro Academy still calls Peter Kirkley (Newcastle United Youth Development Office) the Guv'nor, because Peter is the TOP MAN IN SPOTTING YOUNG TALENT IN THIS AREA!!!!  The problem is at Newcastle they don't back the people who know the local area to run the Academy, they bring coach's in as the Director Of Academy like Roeder (Norwich City Manager), Brian Eastwick (England U19 Head Coach) & Alan Irvine (Preston Manager) & when we do appoint a local.....we get Joe Joyce who has not been involved in local area for years & was working at the PFA training................COACH'S TO COACH!!! Dickie Money is in charge now has zero knowledge of the area but has made it clear to his staff to get out there & take on the Boro & Sunderland.

Peter Kirkley is in his last year at the club but is hanging around to help the new Youth Development Officer when appointed. It is shame he never got the top job at the Academy. He spent 8 years at the Boro after Keegan got rid of him & Stan Nixon (youth coach, now at the Boro) in 1992, which was the about the last time we had a bundle of youngsters coming through.

Guest Stephen927

Do you know how well Jack Colback is coming along Thespence?

Used to know him in high school, was always very good at football in PE.

I am sure he got a pro deal for the start of this season, he is regular for there reserve team now. Got bullied on the pitch quite bit when he went first started playing for the Sunderland Academy. Jamie Chandler a fellow midfield at Sunderland took him under his wing & made him mentally stronger & he seems to be getting better.  He is now on the first squad profiles for Sunderland on SAFC.com.

Guest Stephen927

I am sure he got a pro deal for the start of this season, he is regular for there reserve team now. Got bullied on the pitch quite bit when he went first started playing for the Sunderland Academy. Jamie Chandler a fellow midfield at Sunderland took him under his wing & made him mentally stronger & he seems to be getting better.  He is now on the first squad profiles for Sunderland on SAFC.com.

Good to hear him doing well, do you reckon he'll break into the first team soon? I think it was last season that he was told to come with the first team to a game, but Keane choose not to put him on the bench last minute.

Josh Walker used to go to my school too but didn't really know him, hows he getting on?

Cheers for the info on Jack  :thup:

did you see many academy changes planned under Ashley?

No but I do know Richard Money has impressed people who work for him. It is sham Adam Sadler left the Academy for reserve team, because that is another thing it lacks like the first team continuity. It seems only Mark Proctor moves in & out of the Boro setup all the others have no wish to move on from there roles.

Good to hear him doing well, do you reckon he'll break into the first team soon? I think it was last season that he was told to come with the first team to a game, but Keane choose not to put him on the bench last minute.

Josh Walker used to go to my school too but didn't really know him, hows he getting on?

Cheers for the info on Jack  :thup:

Josh has captained every England age group he has played for, I think he at U18 stage now. Was on loan at Aberdeen last year & as I said further up scored against Bayern Munich. He has been on the bench for a few Boro games this season.  His  contract runs until the end of this season with the Boro.

Back to Jack, Sunderland have a lot players with first team experience in midfield so it is going to be hard. He is skippering the Sunderland 2nd string now, so he must be doing a quite a bit right down there. A GEORDIE CAPTAINING A SUNDERLAND SIDE!!! MAKES ME SICK!

That Colbeck looked cracking for the mackems against us mind, i remember he playing against him for cramlington and Donninger at walker looks like we ended up with the plodder and the mackems got the decent prospect

What did you make of them when you played against them? Does Colbeck look to you like he has really filled out well? Of course I know a lot is with growing up but he does look a lot bigger.

did you see many academy changes planned under Ashley?

No but I do know Richard Money has impressed people who work for him. It is sham Adam Sadler left the Academy for reserve team, because that is another thing it lacks like the first team continuity. It seems only Mark Proctor moves in & out of the Boro setup all the others have no wish to move on from there roles.

Aye one of the lads I know in reserves said he was gutted he left top bloke.

That Colbeck looked cracking for the mackems against us mind, i remember he playing against him for cramlington and Donninger at walker looks like we ended up with the plodder and the mackems got the decent prospect

What did you make of them when you played against them? Does Colbeck look to you like he has really filled out well? Of course I know a lot is with growing up but he does look a lot bigger.

looks like he filled out alot defo. Even when i remember playing against him he seemed alot more calmed and assured than most but was always quite little, as for Donninger he was alot bigger and stronger than most lads my age at the time and imo that's why he got picked up. And the fact he moved to walker from Red House Farm!! not what you know it's who you know...