Let's talk about Steve Bruce... (Vote again)

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yes, we have to. :(

A couple of years ago I'd have been disgusted if we got him in, as I always thought there were better options and the 'I'm a Geordie' thing gets on my tits. However, are we in a position to say no after all that's transpired?

I'm wondering if he's now the outstanding candidate, sobering as that may be. On the upside, he's proven he can do well in the Premier League (very impressed with what he's done at Wigan) and has signed some good footballers that would now be worth lots more than he paid for them - fitting into the current plans for the club. Put aside your dislike for the man, and he is a good manager, right? The fact he knows the area may be a plus too, though we said that with Keegan I suppose.

Then again, would we be looking at another Sam Allardyce situation, ie a bloke who's done pretty well when the only target is avoiding relegation but can't hack it when the pressure is cranked up? Would he even leave the comfort of Wigan to join this madhouse?

Thoughts? :undecided:

He's better than Chris Hughton, thats for sure.

But only marginally better than none.

But needs must as the devil (or idiotic "Cockney Mafia" Banner carrying morons) drives....

There are people higher on my list.

I would love to see Martinez here.

But Bruce is at worst a competent Premier League manager, and I think that he could withstand the pressure here - he did play for Man Utd afterall, and I reckon that he would have been under constant presure and scutiny there.

would be happy with Bruce here tbh......bought some cracking players (bar Bambi) in Zaki, Palacios, Valencia for next to nowt and has made Wigan a very competent side. (Martinez is a decent shout too but I doubt our fans would be happy with that.)

We could do worse, then again we could still do better imo. He's alright, but one of those that gets the best out of a shit team rather than being able to take a club like us to the next level. No thanks.

Thats more or less exactly what we need at the moment... and Wigan, sadly have a few players I would not mind having in our colours.

I think it's risky appointing any permanent manager while the current owners are still in place. I hate the fact how we don't have an actual manager at the moment, but when the new guys come in - they're going to want to do their own thing and we could have another Mort/Allardyce situation on our hands within a few months. Irrespective of the fact that i don't like Bruce, i just don't think it is a good idea giving an official contract to a manager at the moment.

We can't do anything until we're taken over. I wish Ashley would drop his asking price.

It's an intensely difficult situation because for as long as Chris Hughton is in charge, we'll keep losing football matches. As for Bruce himself though, i wouldn't want him tbh. An okayish manager, but as someone says, we've actually got a team that has the potential to finish in the top 8, and Bruce isn't in this business.

Doubt if he would take the job with the future of the club so uncertain ; he is doing OK at Wigan and, as has been said already, Whelan would move heaven & earth to stop him working for Ashley.

Have to say he has done well at Wigan and he HAS had a fairly extensive, if unspectacular,grounding in management. May be a candidate after a takeover, but would want more control than the current regime wishes to give the manager(but then, so would MOST candidates..!).

We need a stop-gap right now(Dalglish DOES think highly of the NUFC job and said so when the S.Press were saying the club was unmanageable after Allardyce was sacked, but again, he wouldn't want all the crap from above OR like the fact that, once again, he would be managing NUFC without a real chance of being able to field a decent side). And stop-gaps are not easy to find if any good - even Venables has turned the job down...

Its a really tough call until there is a takeover.

Guest timmy boy

He has done a good job at Wigan and in the current circumstances I can't think of any better managers we could attract, saying that I don't think Bruce would take the job right now.

I have said yes purely as I think he would have the ability to at least steady the ship.

Maybe being at Man U has given him a grounding of how to cope with massive daily pressure (having bneen part of the Man U side that finally won the league as 25 + years)

Guest guinness_fiend

This is like final dance at the end of the night where the bong eyed 18 stone heffa finally pulls.

Desperate fuks.

Ah well, a roof over your head in a strange city is sometimes worth the shame.