Interrailing around Europe

ChrisJbarnes

Guest lankybellwipe

Austria for a great 'family feel' welcome; accommodation included.

:lol:

the rooms tend not to have windows though i'm told.

Guest lankybellwipe

LBW in great misplaced smiley furore !

WHOOOOOOOOPS!

TWATS!  :rant:

WHOOOOOOOOPS!

TWATS!   :rant:

and i've trapped it there aswell,it'll never get out. i may go down there and shag it. (it's all this talk about austria !!)

dont love the eurail thing myself, thought it was overly expensive.

You may think you can just hop on and off any train - you can't. You'll need to book on the train in advance, at a 'small' cost of course.

Other than sleeping carriages we were able to jump on anything, although there was the occasional extra charge on the faster trains.

I went Barcelona - Rome - Sorrento - Athens - Vienna - Prague as our main stays with tons of stop offs at various places along the way. Absolutely loved it.

Guest lankybellwipe

WHOOOOOOOOPS!

TWATS!  :rant:

and i've trapped it there aswell,it'll never get out. i may go down there and shag it. (it's all this talk about austria !!)

Oh dear  :blush:

You may think you can just hop on and off any train - you can't. You'll need to book on the train in advance, at a 'small' cost of course.

Other than sleeping carriages we were able to jump on anything, although there was the occasional extra charge on the faster trains.

I went Barcelona - Rome - Sorrento - Athens - Vienna - Prague as our main stays with tons of stop offs at various places along the way. Absolutely loved it.

hmm, my attempts took me from Faro - Seville - Morocco - Gib - Seville - Madrid - Barcelona.

Can't remember in detail but they tried to charge us (er... succesfully) for 90% of it.

I'm not taking away from the railing round europe fun, but I just don't like these wonder passes.

hmm, my attempts took me from Faro - Seville - Morocco - Gib - Seville - Madrid - Barcelona.

Can't remember in detail but they tried to charge us (er... succesfully) for 90% of it.

I'm not taking away from the railing round europe fun, but I just don't like these wonder passes.

what kind of charges did you have and how did you have to book these trains as i see no websites. cheers

we normally booked when we arrived, as we never learned our lesson.

This worked most the time, but the Madrid -> Barca train was full, so we ended up paying for the buses.

The charges are nominal, but fucking annoying when you're a pauper traveller type. Maybe 6 euros.

we normally booked when we arrived, as we never learned our lesson.

This worked most the time, but the Madrid -> Barca train was full, so we ended up paying for the buses.

The charges are nominal, but f***ing annoying when you're a pauper traveller type. Maybe 6 euros.

:thup: cheers. and had you booked in advance by a couple of days, youd have saved the 6 euros per journey?

i inter railed in europe this summer and had an absolute blast! we started out in germany, headed down to czech republic, hungary, bosnia, croatia, france & holland... my best recommendation would be to spend most time in eastern europe. partly because it's cheaper, but mostly because it's a hell of lot more interesting. prague is lovely (beer tastes better than anywhere else), budapest is a nice place to visit but what i enjoyed most was probably sarajevo, bosnia! it might not sound very exotic, but hey, what a neat place to visit! you see bullet holes everywhere and you can almost literally see the war everywhere but people are friendly, there is a charming downtown, lots of people out in the streets, plus cheap it's as hell! it's definitely a place you'll remember and it hasn't gotten too touristy yet!

apart from that, just make sure you don't try to visit to many places/countries cause you'll just end up traveling more than you anticipate. in western europe you almost always have to reserve seats on the trains. try to book hostel before you arrive - that will save you lots of time!

also, if you want a break from the cities i can recomend cesky krumlov down in the southern part of czech republic; great place with lots of backpackers!

that's about it. let me know if you wonder about something :)

that sounds awesome, when did you go? would love to do something like this but the logistics do my head in when i hear the kind of stuff dan b mentions. i'm also wary of how accommodation would gradually add up.

i inter railed in europe this summer and had an absolute blast! we started out in germany, headed down to czech republic, hungary, bosnia, croatia, france & holland... my best recommendation would be to spend most time in eastern europe. partly because it's cheaper, but mostly because it's a hell of lot more interesting. prague is lovely (beer tastes better than anywhere else), budapest is a nice place to visit but what i enjoyed most was probably sarajevo, bosnia! it might not sound very exotic, but hey, what a neat place to visit! you see bullet holes everywhere and you can almost literally see the war everywhere but people are friendly, there is a charming downtown, lots of people out in the streets, plus cheap it's as hell! it's definitely a place you'll remember and it hasn't gotten too touristy yet!

apart from that, just make sure you don't try to visit to many places/countries cause you'll just end up traveling more than you anticipate. in western europe you almost always have to reserve seats on the trains. try to book hostel before you arrive - that will save you lots of time!

also, if you want a break from the cities i can recomend cesky krumlov down in the southern part of czech republic; great place with lots of backpackers!

that's about it. let me know if you wonder about something :)

great post cheers. did you see any of poland? gdansk, poznan or krakow are apparently brilliant.

great post cheers. did you see any of poland? gdansk, poznan or krakow are apparently brilliant.

i never went to poland but many people i met while traveling recommended it. krakow is supposedly absolutely stunning! i'm planning to go there on my next trip!

I used Eurolines to bus around Europe for 3 weeks, about half the price of Interrail.

I chose a through the night bus journey every other night, therefore saving on accomodation costs.

Austria, Germany, Eastern Europe...you'll have a cracking time wherever u go.

I'm in the early stages of planning for a Euro trip next summer as well. It's gonna be London (HQ), Rome, Milan, Brussels, Amsterdam, Madrid, Vienna, Prague, Paris, Munich and Berlin (not in order).

How much do hostels cost per night per person?

Guest lankybellwipe

I'm in the early stages of planning for a Euro trip next summer as well. It's gonna be London (HQ), Rome, Milan, Brussels, Amsterdam, Madrid, Vienna, Prague, Paris, Munich and Berlin (not in order).

How much do hostels cost per night per person?

I saw this hostel in a film about 4 years ago! The chances of ME staying in one of those places anywhere near the auld eastern Bloc, is zilch!