West Ham v Sheff U

Crumpy Gunt

Sheff U about to get £30m richer according to news item on Talksport. Reason for West Ham firesale of late.

I bet they wish they were still in the Premiership. Hope it goes further if the story is true.

I was under the impression that all the selling was due to the massive wage bill they have from signing players like Lucas Neill on insane wages to save them from relegation.  Add to that the wages of players like Dyer & Ljungberg (Ljungberg's contract having been payed up to get him off the payroll). The previous chairman was supposed to have been forced out by the owning consortium due to the financial mess that he'd left them in.

Perhaps this will be £30m on top of that existing financial mess that will cause them to go into free fall.

Sheff U about to get £30m richer according to news item on Talksport. Reason for West Ham firesale of late.

I bet they wish they were still in the Premiership. Hope it goes further if the story is true.

I was under the impression that all the selling was due to the massive wage bill they have from signing players like Lucas Neill on insane wages to save them from relegation.  Add to that the wages of players like Dyer & Ljungberg (Ljungberg's contract having been payed up to get him off the payroll). The previous chairman was supposed to have been forced out by the owning consortium due to the financial mess that he'd left them in.

Perhaps this will be £30m on top of that existing financial mess that will cause them to go into free fall.

That was my impression. It was well reportedby West Ham sources that Curbs was told he had to sell 15 players over the summer.

I wonder if G Zola knew what he was getting himself into

On the one hand, it couldn't have happened to a better club, but if it goes pear shaped big style it will tarnish his reputation and I personally wish him well in his managerial career...

In the end though, I can't see the quoted 30 million being paid out - and not for another five years or so, in which time they spend 30m on legal fees trying to get out of it :lol:

West Ham lose 30m to Sheffield U, and still Dalglish rejecting talks with us is the main story on skysports.com  :lol:

Did he ? Why haven't you posted this in the Daldlish thread, would be interesting to hear what he had to say.

I wonder if G Zola knew what he was getting himself into

On the one hand, it couldn't have happened to a better club, but if it goes pear shaped big style it will tarnish his reputation and I personally wish him well in his managerial career...

In the end though, I can't see the quoted 30 million being paid out - and not for another five years or so, in which time they spend 30m on legal fees trying to get out of it :lol:

Just been reading the BBC synopsis of the case who include this little section:

CAN WEST HAM APPEAL?

That's what they will be looking at now, but it'll be very tough.

Just look at the FA's Rule K5c: By signing up to arbitration, "the parties shall be deemed to have waived irrevocably any right to appeal, review or any recourse to a court of law."

It appears there is no right of appeal to CAS, and only a very limited ability to challenge the merits of the award in the Commercial Court.

So by the looks of it they'll not be able to appeal the judgement.  Any appeal could be rejected by a civil court since they signed up to a process knowing there would be no appeals, plus they'd open themselves up to further retribution from the FA for breaking FA rules by appealing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7637184.stm

West Ham could face legal action over the Carlos Tevez affair from players relegated with Sheffield United.

At least 10 players, who suffered financially after relegation in 2007, approached lawyers with a view to claiming compensation from the Hammers.

Lawyer Chris Farnell said: "I've been contacted by various players with a view to looking at this claim but at this stage I can say no more."

Sheffield United are already demanding £30m compensation from the London club.

It emerged earlier in the week that an independent tribunal had ruled against West Ham in the Tevez case.

The Hammers plan an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The Blades claim Tevez was not eligible to play at the end of the 2006/07 season, when he played a key role in West Ham's top-flight survival at their expense.

Past and present players have held discussions with Farnell, of the Manchester-based firm IPS Law.

It is understood they could claim for lost earnings running into millions of pounds.

:lol:

Cant believe this is still rumbling on

I agree. Its legal mumbo-jumbo rather than serious skullduggery

West Ham did benefit from Tevez, no doubt about it.

But Man U have him now. The digging after him stopped then.....

Feel sorry for Sheff U - but they were beaten at home by a half-hearted Wigan FFS - their fault they went down.

Wigan went through the motions and still turned them over with ease.

• 1 month later...

Blades win Tevez boost

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4552298,00.html

Blades claim victory in latest High Court battle

A High Court has ruled in favour of Sheffield United against West Ham in the latest twist of the Carlos Tevez saga.

Mr Justice Teare has granted a temporary injunction to stop The Hammers from appealing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over a ruling they had breached Premier League rules in signing the Argentine.

The decision will allow The Blades to pursue their arbitration claim for damages over relegation from the Premier League last season.

Sheffield United are expected to return to the High Court for a full trial in the coming year meanwhile, as they seek a permanent injunction on the CAS matter.

Issues

An independent tribunal ruled that Tevez was not eligible to play for West Ham at the end of the 2006-07 season.

The Argentine, who now plays for Manchester United, was deemed to have played a key part in the London club's Premier League survival as the Blades were relegated.

The South Yorkshire club are expected to claim up to £30 million from the Hammers, but this will be assessed at a future arbitration hearing in private.

The Blades went to the High Court to stop West Ham appealing against the arbitration tribunal's findings that hiring Tevez was in breach of Premier League rules - and the South Yorkshire club were entitled to recover damages.

When West Ham filed an appeal from the arbitration decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland, the Blades claimed this was a breach of the arbitration agreement between the clubs and that the CAS had no jurisdiction to hear such an appeal.

The judge granted Sheffield United's application for a temporary order restraining West Ham from taking any further steps to pursue an appeal or challenge the tribunal's findings other than by way of an application to the High Court.

Guest Stephen927

It was Anton Ferdinand that kept them up that season, not Tevez.

Are you being serious there?

Didn't you know, Ferdinand is awesome now he's moved to Sunderland. ;)