Computer Help Needed - Urgent

Thomson Mouse

Anybody have any any idea what's gone wrong?

I'm running desktop and laptop through the same router, the laptop is wireless, the desktop is ethernet cable.

Both have been running fine for ages through my BT broadband connection.

Then, this morning after a quick browse through the footy websites, the desktop connection virtually stopped working.

All I get now is Looking up www....... then the warning box appears saying it can't find the server, although it has twice then stopped straight away. I sometime get waiting for....then it times out.

The laptop is working fine and the speed is normal.

Things I've tried:

Uninstalling and re-installing Firefox 3.0

Repairing the network connection.

Restart both router and computer.

Using IE, getting the same result.

Can't think of anything else.

Can someone help please?  :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Making sure ehternet light is on on desktop - it is.

I have seen spyware/malware type stuff cause a similar issue where what has actually happened is that its changed your internet connection settings from Lan to dial-up in order to dial a premium rate pr0n number.

on the network card on your P/c do you get 2 flashing lights or just the one? or none at all?

can you access your router from your p/c?

Have you looked at your network connections to see the status of the Local Area Connection. Is it unplugged/limited/connected? Is it even there? Look at device manager and see if there are any problems. Have you tried a different port on the router? You could even try pinging the computer name from your laptop and see if it responds...

"I have seen spyware/malware type stuff cause a similar issue where what has actually happened is that its changed your internet connection settings from Lan to dial-up in order to dial a premium rate pr0n number."

Nope, still on don't dial.

"on the network card on your P/c do you get 2 flashing lights or just the one? or none at all? "

That's the bit where the ethernet cable goes in? One light on all of the time and one flashing.

"can you access your router from your p/c? "

Can't find my IP address.

"Have you looked at your network connections to see the status of the Local Area Connection. Is it unplugged/limited/connected? Is it even there? "

Yep, packets exchanged etc. When I repair, I sometimes get the bbc website, then when I try another, nothing.

"Have you tried a different port on the router?"

Yep. Same happens.

"You could even try pinging the computer name from your laptop and see if it responds..."

No idea how to do this.

on the laptop open a dos/cmd prompt and type ipconfig

this will give you an ip address. on your desktop open the dos/cmd window and type ping  <ip address of laptop> what kind of response do you get?

does it time out? or does it connect?

can you see your laptop on the network by browsing network neighborhood? and can you see the desktop from the laptop in the same way?

you could also try doing a release and renew on your desktop.

again on the dos/cmd screen type ipconfig /release once this has completed type ipconfig /renew  this may take a little while to complete

what this is doing is releasing a possible bad ip address and getting a new one from the pool available on your router.  

At the time it drops, what does the Local Area Connection status say?

Could be a dodgy network card, is it on board or PCI?

Also, if you are visiting cached sites it could be that its working in offline mode...

on the laptop open a dos/cmd prompt and type ipconfig

this will give you an ip address. on your desktop open the dos/cmd window and type ping  <ip address of laptop> what kind of response do you get?

does it time out? or does it connect?

can you see your laptop on the network by browsing network neighborhood? and can you see the desktop from the laptop in the same way?

you could also try doing a release and renew on your desktop.

again on the dos/cmd screen type ipconfig /release once this has completed type ipconfig /renew  this may take a little while to complete

what this is doing is releasing a possible bad ip address and getting a new one from the pool available on your router.  

Sorry mate, don't know how to get to dos/cmd.

I did do a scan on network diagnostics, that said that my metwrok adaptor/connection passed.

Don't know if that helps?

Network card is inside the tower, if that's on board?

Is google a cached site?

To get command prompt click Start>Run type CMD and press enter

If IE is running in offline mode it will say in the bottom right hand side of internet explorer.

Is the network port where all of the other things get plugged in like keyboard/mouse/speakers etc or lower down at the bottom of the case?

By the way you should be able to just ping the laptops name rather than its IP address if you are unsure. To get your laptop name, on your laptop click Start and right click on My Computer, and select properties. Go to the Computer name tab and you will see Full Computer Name.

When on your desktop, load up cmd and type ping laptopname

"on the laptop open a dos/cmd prompt and type ipconfig

this will give you an ip address. on your desktop open the dos/cmd window and type ping  <ip address of laptop> what kind of response do you get?

does it time out? or does it connect? "

It times out.

100% data loss.

I'm using Firefox.

Network port is 2/3rds of the way down on the back

Don't know how to work neighborhood.

Localarea connection is fine, even when it drops.

Sorry trying to answer everyone's questions.

Need to go out for half an hour, back soon.

Could be a dodgy network card. Back to basics but you could try a different cable if you have one.

Is it be more likely to be the cable or the card?

Dunno really, could be either, network cables are cheapest so start there. Network cards are probably only about £10 these days as well.

Could be a dodgy network card. Back to basics but you could try a different cable if you have one.

You can try and asign your card a static ip address to check if it's a dhcp problem on your router

What ip address you getting when you do ipconfig? Can also do ipconfig /all to get more info about your connection

Guest lankybellwipe

Dunno really, could be either, network cables are cheapest so start there. Network cards are probably only about £10 these days as well.

Is that Lenny Bennet? Of 'Punchlines' fame and fortune?  :kasper:

You can try and asign your card a static ip address to check if it's a dhcp problem on your router

What ip address you getting when you do ipconfig? Can also do ipconfig /all to get more info about your connection

Surely that would affect his laptop's wireless connection though if there was a DHCP problem.

Surely that would affect his laptop's wireless connection though if there was a DHCP problem.

Some routers have separate dhcp for wireless and wired depending on the model of router

Best thing is just to add a static ip to your desktop and try ping the router, if no reply then either cable or card or ethernet port on your router.

Just get a wireless card for your desktop if it's the latter or get bt to send a new router out

You could try connecting your laptop to the network via cable,switch off the wireless and see if the problem still occurs. Would narrow down what the problem is. If it does the same you'll know its the cable/router. If it connects to the network and the internet runs fine you'll know its your computer/network card.

I had a similar problem at home and one of the IT chaps from work managed to sort the issue.  Your issue sounds exactly like mine and I'm certain it's down to Dilithium crystals acting up within the PCs base unit.

It all sounds a little bit complicated but here's a brief explanation of what I would think is occuring with your PC:

When placed in a high frequency electromagnetic field (wireless router), magnetic eddies (signals from router) are induced in its structure which keep charged particles away from the crystal lattice (the PCs motherboard). This prevents it from reacting with antimatter (such as Sky Digital) when so energized, because the antimatter atoms never actually touch it (the router). Therefore, it is used to contain and regulate the annihilation reaction of matter and antimatter in a PCs base-unit, which otherwise would explode from the uncontrolled annihilation reaction. Though low-quality artificial crystals can be grown or replicated if your room temperature is greater than 25 degrees C, they are limited in the power of the reaction they can regulate without fragmenting, and are therefore largely unsuitable for C drive applications. Due to the need for natural dilithium crystals for access to the internet, deposits of this material are a highly contested resource, and as such, dilithium crystals have led to more wireless router conflict than all other reasons combined.

The dilithium crystal structure is 2(5)6 dilithium 2(:)l diallosilicate 1:9:1 heptoferranide.

Explain this to the folks at PC world or a skilled and literate IT person and you should be on the way to fixing the PC.

Good luck chap.