HD-FURY 1080p enabler on old hdtv's

BONTEMPI

Only if they're capable of doing 1080p in the first place.

It's only down to panel size so anything 24" above can handle that res even some 22" can handle it.

And no they do not have to be 1080p enabled first that's the whole point of the product, most old sets are 1080i which is just an upscaled 720p to 1080i which is not the true 1080p res

Oh right i just got confused at this answer.

So can I just get this straight. I have a 19" Iinc widescreen LCD monitor with DVI input. I use this monitor with my PS3 in 1080p with this HDfury item and a DVI-HDMI cable?

Is your monitor capable of doing 1080p? If not, it wont be displayed at 1080p. It will display at whatever the highest your monitor can output (720p, 1080i). HDfury allows you to run a HDCP compliant device on a non-HDCP compliant display.

Oh right i just got confused at this answer.

So can I just get this straight. I have a 19" Iinc widescreen LCD monitor with DVI input. I use this monitor with my PS3 in 1080p with this HDfury item and a DVI-HDMI cable?

Is your monitor capable of doing 1080p? If not, it wont be displayed at 1080p. It will display at whatever the highest your monitor can output (720p, 1080i). HDfury allows you to run a HDCP compliant device on a non-HDCP compliant display.

You can but because the size of your panel it will scale that 1080p down to the max res of your monitor, even though the PS3 is in 1080p mode

You are best with a 22" or 24" inch upwards

to get the full benefit

Right this is confusing. My TV is 720p, but my ps3 will output 1080p and just change the scaling. So how exactly does this allow your LCD tv, that has a max res of 720p, to do 1080p ?

It doesn't. What it does is take the digital signal, strip the copy protection and output it as an analogue signal. That's from what I've read so far, anyway.

Ok I get this now, if you have HDMI your fine, but if you have a VGA input you can't view it.

No you can view it even if you have a vga input

It's designed for TV's that don't have hdmi connections but have a big enough panel size to display 1080p

So if you have a vga input on your tv you can get 1080p using this device as it's outputting through analogue but at 1080p quality.

So any screen size from 24" up with a vga input can use this device

I'd wager the number of television models with VGA but no HDMI can be counted on one hand.

Works on monitors as well, even the large CRT screens basically anything with an analogue port.

Even if you do have hdmi ports on your tv and it only does 720p then if you also have a vga input you can bypass the hdmi and get 1080p via the vga port

I'd wager the number of television models with VGA but no HDMI can be counted on one hand.

Works on monitors as well, even the large CRT screens basically anything with an analogue port.

Aye, all I'm saying is that most people who have a 1080p device (ie a PS3) either have an HDTV with HDMI, or don't give much of a fuck about picture quality and so use the bundled composite cables anyway.

Even if you do have hdmi ports on your tv and it only does 720p then if you also have a vga input you can bypass the hdmi and get 1080p via the vga port

I don't really get what you're saying here. On a television with 720 lines, you'll only ever see 720 lines, even if you squeeze 1080 lines into it. Most agree that the upgrade from 720p to 1080p is negligable below 40" anyway, so I can't see the difference between downscaled 720p via HDMI and downscaled 1080p via VGA being very much at all.

I don't really get what you're saying here. On a television with 720 lines, you'll only ever see 720 lines, even if you squeeze 1080 lines into it. Most agree that the upgrade from 720p to 1080p is negligable below 40" anyway, so I can't see the difference between downscaled 720p via HDMI and downscaled 1080p via VGA being very much at all.

Yes that's exactly what you'd think but when I went to my mates the other night and his tv is 32" 720p and the difference between the two was quite allot. Only going off what I saw with my own eyes.

Worth somebody trying that instead of blowing a big wad on a new TV, Too late for me as I got a 37" 1080p last week.

Yes that's exactly what you'd think but when I went to my mates the other night and his tv is 32" 720p and the difference between the two was quite allot. Only going off what I saw with my own eyes.

Worth somebody trying that instead of blowing a big wad on a new TV, Too late for me as I got a 37" 1080p last week.

It's probably the placebo effect. Unless you were comparing composite 480i to 720p via VGA.

32", if it just up scales then surely this is pointless on a ps3 as it does it automatically.

The quality is 1080p standard though

check out you tube and forums to make your own mind up, but it does work a mate's got one

If your display doesn't already have 1080 lines then it doesn't matter what you do to it, it isn't going to be 1080 quality.

If you have a display with more than 720 lines then supplying a 1080p signal through this scaler might give a better quality image than a standard 720p one, but it will never be as good as a proper 1080 one.