New manager must be Shearer

Guest sicko2ndbest

i actually think shearer would be a great choice, he's got massive experience at every level, commands respect from players, would be a big draw for players to come here, much like kk the first time around, openly praises attacking football, and would get a lot of time from the fans. give him a couple of good coaches to work with and i'm confident he could do it.

What has Shearer done throughout his career to suggest he is so certain to be a shit manager? Alot of people think he is destined to fail, nobody knows, I know I'd prefer Shearer to Terry Venables at the moment. Some people harp on about cutting his teeth at a lower level but how many managers do that?

So if he went to Exter got them in the League 2 playoffs would he be much less risky? By that logic then Dennis Wise should make a decent Newcastle manager. He did a good job at Swindon and was doing well at Leeds so surely now he is equipped to be the new Manager.

Don't get me wrong I would prefer others in the hot seat before Shearer but I wouldn't write him off before he had his 1st day at work.

What has Shearer done throughout his career to suggest he is so certain to be a s*** manager?

Being a good player apparently.

Yet, he has won the same amount of league titles as Wegner did as a player (1). Like Sir Alex he has finished top goalscorer in the top flight of a domestic league with over 30 goals. Yet people like to think these two were s**** players & that is how they became good managers, there are zillions of s**** players though & not all them are very good football managers.

What has Shearer done throughout his career to suggest he is so certain to be a s*** manager?

Yet, he has won the same amount of league titles as Wegner did as a player (1). Like Sir Alex he has finished top goalscorer in the top flight of a domestic league with over 30 goals. Yet people like to think these two were s**** players & that is how they became good managers, there are zillions of s**** players though & not all them are very good football managers.

This is one of the most ridiculous and nonsensical comments I have ever seen posted on an internet forum. It indicates the logic and reasoning of an intoxicated four year old. One thing I will say in response is that both Wenger and Ferguson waited quite a while and put in quite a bit of managerial work before landing their dream jobs. Shearer has never managed anything at any level. You want to put your football club at the hands of someone without even assistant managerial experience?

Naturally alot of this is based on speculation, assumptions, one person's word vs another's silence, etc etc, but based on his playing career and media personality, he comes across as someone who:

1) Puts his own interests first, e.g. the way he got that record by abusing his reputation ("play me or I quit") and ensuring other partnerships never got a chance,

2) Falls out with and isolates players he dislikes, as per Ruud Gullitt's comments, and on the face of it has played a big part in ousting several managers and the appointment of some s*** ones,

3) Is utterly boring when he opens his mouth, listening to him is the equivalent of watching paint dry, complete contrast to Keegan,

4) Would probably never use/purchase a flair player because as a player he allegedly deemed flair unneccessary,

5) Would probably create a hard working side that kicks players off the pitch since thats easier to do, as in the Big-Sam style "up the arse!" tactics he enjoyed against Arsenal,

6) Never really came across as a great captain. Certainly didn't seem to be very motivational on the pitch, as many fans/critics pointed out, especially towards the end of his career.

7) Would have favourites who he'd keep on until the end, irrespective of diminishing performances.

That's how he merely comes across - all of those could be argued against, bullshit, etc etc, but the point is that he comes across as that type of person. Scoring 150 league goals for us and coming from the area doesnt mean he cant be a ruthless c*** in private. Had he gone ManU, he would have won numerous trophies, but he'd have been benched by the time he was 33, and probably sold at the time based on his performances. With us, he had the comfort zone of being undroppable no matter how bad his performances become, with the club and its fans wrapped around his finger, and it's something that was simply unfair from a philosophical point of view - no player should ever be untouchable. Did Giggs throw a strop when ManU purchased Nani? Hence, would he have the same small-club mentality as a manager?

Even the way he's just sitting around doing nothing to earn the job, whilst most of his fellow pros are doing the opposite, and just expecting it to be handed to him gives me an awkward impression of him. He's using his influence/power with the fans to full effect, to the extent that it's almost an abuse of power. Just like his playing career. He had no interest in the Blackburn job for example earlier on in the summer, back when Keegan was happy with everything at St James' and everything seemed to be rosy - he could have been waiting for five years for all he knew. But Blackburn aren't a club with the potential/fanbase/facilities to break into the elite, so he had no interest - either that or he's simply not interested in anything other than the Newcastle job.

At the same time, the notion that he wants the job but has rejected it a few times and will only take it when things are rosy suggest he just wants to bask in the glory of someone else having done the groundwork whilst he gets the credit for it, i.e. he's not up for a real challenge. He doesn't want to create the situation of us being a success, he wants it to be handed to him signed, sealed, and nearly delivered. When Ashley bought the club and sacked Allardyce, i.e. when our future looked very bright with a new billionare owner, Shearer was quick to accept the possibility of being NUFC manager (allegedly) and then just as quick to accept the possibility of being Keegan's number 2 with us - again, only interested in the job when our situation is good or bright. Another contrast to Keegan, who took on a club on the brink of relegation to the old Third Division.

That's not to knock what he does, or should, bring to the table - determination, respected, knowing what to say to the media, model professional, "football smart" etc etc. There's also the spell as Roeder's assistant that suggests he might be good, would ensure we play a basic 4-4-2 winger system and attack the opposition, but that was a very brief spell and those results we're pretty average in the first place.

Naturally alot of this is based on speculation, assumptions, one person's word vs another's silence, etc etc, but based on his playing career and media personality, he comes across as someone who:

1) Puts his own interests first, e.g. the way he got that record by abusing his reputation ("play me or I quit") and ensuring other partnerships never got a chance,

2) Falls out with and isolates players he dislikes, as per Ruud Gullitt's comments, and on the face of it has played a big part in ousting several managers and the appointment of some s*** ones,

3) Is utterly boring when he opens his mouth, listening to him is the equivalent of watching paint dry, complete contrast to Keegan,

4) Would probably never use/purchase a flair player because as a player he allegedly deemed flair unneccessary,

5) Would probably create a hard working side that kicks players off the pitch since thats easier to do, as in the Big-Sam style "up the arse!" tactics he enjoyed against Arsenal,

6) Never really came across as a great captain. Certainly didn't seem to be very motivational on the pitch, as many fans/critics pointed out, especially towards the end of his career.

7) Would have favourites who he'd keep on until the end, irrespective of diminishing performances.

That's how he merely comes across - all of those could be argued against, bullshit, etc etc, but the point is that he comes across as that type of person. Scoring 150 league goals for us and coming from the area doesnt mean he cant be a ruthless c*** in private. Had he gone ManU, he would have won numerous trophies, but he'd have been benched by the time he was 33, and probably sold at the time based on his performances. With us, he had the comfort zone of being undroppable no matter how bad his performances become, with the club and its fans wrapped around his finger, and it's something that was simply unfair from a philosophical point of view - no player should ever be untouchable. Did Giggs throw a strop when ManU purchased Nani? Hence, would he have the same small-club mentality as a manager?

Even the way he's just sitting around doing nothing to earn the job, whilst most of his fellow pros are doing the opposite, and just expecting it to be handed to him gives me an awkward impression of him. He's using his influence/power with the fans to full effect, to the extent that it's almost an abuse of power. Just like his playing career. He had no interest in the Blackburn job for example earlier on in the summer, back when Keegan was happy with everything at St James' and everything seemed to be rosy - he could have been waiting for five years for all he knew. But Blackburn aren't a club with the potential/fanbase/facilities to break into the elite, so he had no interest - either that or he's simply not interested in anything other than the Newcastle job.

At the same time, the notion that he wants the job but has rejected it a few times and will only take it when things are rosy suggest he just wants to bask in the glory of someone else having done the groundwork whilst he gets the credit for it, i.e. he's not up for a real challenge. He doesn't want to create the situation of us being a success, he wants it to be handed to him signed, sealed, and nearly delivered. When Ashley bought the club and sacked Allardyce, i.e. when our future looked very bright with a new billionare owner, Shearer was quick to accept the possibility of being NUFC manager (allegedly) and then just as quick to accept the possibility of being Keegan's number 2 with us - again, only interested in the job when our situation is good or bright. Another contrast to Keegan, who took on a club on the brink of relegation to the old Third Division.

That's not to knock what he does, or should, bring to the table - determination, respected, knowing what to say to the media, model professional, "football smart" etc etc. There's also the spell as Roeder's assistant that suggests he might be good, would ensure we play a basic 4-4-2 winger system and attack the opposition, but that was a very brief spell and those results we're pretty average in the first place.

You know that's one of best summaries of a Shearer I have ever read, Spot on!.

Would see the return of Souness style management...

Probably see the return of Dalglish style management, seeing how Kenny Dalglish is one of Shearer's very good mates.  In fact, if Shearer ever does become manager I'd expect a role for Dalglish somewhere within the club, Executive Director (Golf) probably.

christ no, i'd give the job to Hughton before i even thought of giving it to Shearer,  big al is the last person i want in charge.

Club is in turmoil. What do we have to loose.

Newcastle isindeed  the "lower league" club now where he can prove himself. We are so poorly managed and organized, there is no better time for him to sort us out. In fact, based on current state of affairs, we don't even belong to top flight.

Worst argument ever.

Probably see the return of Dalglish style management, seeing how Kenny Dalglish is one of Shearer's very good mates. 

is that serious?

Thought that was pretty much common knowledge.  Golfing mates & footballing mentor as far as I'm aware.

Guest bluegeordie

[WARNING - patience (and Ritalin for some) will be required to get through my drunken rant below, but the fucker is written now so I'll post it and be damned ... in more ways than one, no doubt]

Presuming that the club eventually gets out of the nightmare that we're all living through at the moment, and even though I readily admit that it may not be possible, I would ideally like to see a manager appointed with the following attributes, and for the following reasons:

1) a comparatively young age, so as a Ferguson or Wenger-like long-term tenure is at least a possibility (the lack of stability at our club has clearly been a massive problem for years, and millions of pounds have been squandered through new managers selling the previous incumbent's players, and buying their own, only for that same process to start again a short time later - compare the likes of Wenger's carefully planned Arsenal System with the stop-start chaos theory that has passed for "strategy" and "vision" around St James's in recent times);

2) a genuine feeling for, and belief in, NUFC that would allow him to see the role of Toon boss as the pinnacle of his managerial career, and not because he can't now (or couldn't later) land what most punters would regard as a better position, but because for him there simply would be no "better position" (at least in club football);

3) a strong, determined, and thick-skinned (perhaps even slightly obstinate) personality, which would enable him to stick to his guns and gradually impose his will on the club and its supporters, and to cope with the inevitable scrutiny and heat that comes with the Toon job, both from the hateful southern media and from some of the more knee-jerk / quick-to-mutiny factions of the Toon Army (of which there are many imho);

4) a standing amongst (most of) the Toon Army that would buy him the necessary goodwill and time to properly establish himself in the role of manager, and then serve to see him through the difficult times that would inevitably crop up over a long-term tenure;   

5) a personality and playing biography that would command respect and loyalty from most of the players under his charge (if he falls out with a few Bellamy-types, for instance, I don't really give a fuck - regardless of talent they'll typically be cancer to the squad and should be replaced as soon as possible, as Ferguson has done at Man U over the years);   

6) a la SBR, a genuine love, respect, and knowledge of the distinctive nature of NUFC and its supporters would not go astray, especially with regard to the need for entertaining (by which I don't mean "sexy") attacking football (I know this can hardly be considered an "essential criterion", but I'm only attempting to outline my ideal here)

In my view, Shearer ticks all of the above boxes, and what's more I can't think of a single realistic alternative who does. But what about KK, some might say? Well for mine, legend as he is, he's walked (at least) one too many times for us to welcome him back with open arms and hearts, and frankly I doubt that he has the strength, conviction, bottle, and time to see through the task of turning our current mess around.

Of course, there are plenty of boxes apart from those I've listed above that Shearer clearly doesn't tick (managerial experience, most obviously), and a fair few more where there are question marks over his suitability for the post, many of which have been stated by tmonkey above. However, I feel that those question marks can be addressed to a satisfactory degree (or at least to my satisfaction). In addition, I think there's always going to be a significant element of risk involved in making a managerial appointment, even when the appointee has a track record of success elsewhere, and this is arguably especially the case with NUFC at this moment in time.

No, for my money, whilst Shearer would obviously be a risk - indeed a major risk - in the absence of what I regard as a better realistic alternative, he's a risk that I think is worth taking. As for whether he's interested in the job, my understanding is that he carefully and suggestively said that he wouldn't be interested in it under the current set-up / regime, but who knows what sort of difference a new owner might make?                 

There will not be a better time for Shearer than the afermath of all this. I think he will command respect from the players and would be able to do enough to save us from relegation.

We'll be taking a chance on whoever we appoint, there won't be a queue of world class names waiting to take this god forsaken role. Shearer is worth the gamble right now, I would never have thought I would of said that a month ago.

There will not be a better time for Shearer than the afermath of all this. I think he will command respect from the players and would be able to do enough to save us from relegation.

We'll be taking a chance on whoever we appoint, there won't be a queue of world class names waiting to take this god forsaken role. Shearer is worth the gamble right now, I would never have thought I would of said that a month ago.

Yes...Shearer, the man who stated he would never work under such a set up...he's the man to go for right this minute!

Yes...Shearer, the man who stated he would never work under such a set up...he's the man to go for right this minute!

Tron read further up. Then make smart alec remarks.

Probably see the return of Dalglish style management, seeing how Kenny Dalglish is one of Shearer's very good mates. 

is that serious?

Thought that was pretty much common knowledge.   Golfing mates & footballing mentor as far as I'm aware.

i think you mis-understood me, i was asking if your forecast of shearer taking on dalglish's style because they were very good mates, was serious