Thomson Mouse

Just got our permanent visas for Oz today    :celb: :celb: :celb:

Going to move to Perth once the house sells.   :tickedoff:

Anyone else thought about it/done it?

Sun/sea and pool here we come.

http://www.aiec.hu/userfiles/Image/perth.jpg

well technically i have done it

I came back to the UK

I was born in the UK but moved to South Africa with my parents when i was 4 and came back to teh UK a few years back.

moving to a new country is quite a scary prospect, as your leaving everything you know and love behind.

but its also quite an adventure. The culture shock will be quite something. it was for me. just the little things like types of sweets or how certain beers may have the same name but taste slightly different

Parents have been wanting to move to New Zealand for a couple of years now, just been a lengthy process selling the house/applying etc. Was considering going with them, and still might when the time comes dependent on my situation, but I'm a little more settled in my life now.

Parents have been wanting to move to New Zealand for a couple of years now, just been a lengthy process selling the house/applying etc. Was considering going with them, and still might when the time comes dependent on my situation, but I'm a little more settled in my life now.

Go. Run, as fast as you can, RUN.

Go. Run, as fast as you can, RUN.

:lol: I think I've had this conversation on here when the idea first came about and pretty much everyone said I'd be stupid not to go. In all honesty I don't think I'll really be able to make a decision until I know for sure whats going on.

If things are still going well with the other half and she'd come with me I'd probably go in a heartbeat.

Guest lankybellwipe

I just think the general quality of life in this country is abysmal. While I think leaving the country, people, places etc will be very difficult... its something that must be done.

Nice one Dan!  :angry:

If the whole forum fucks off, I'll hold YOU directly responsible!

if you get the chance you should move. Britain is a fking boring country to live in and the quality of life is just going down all the time......it`s no wonder people are emigrating abroad in  their droves and in record numbers it seems each year.

I'd definitely give it some serious consideration, but I just feel like its never going to happen because its been pending for so long, and because it is a massive decision to make. There aren't a lot of things tieing me to this country so I would at least be free to make my own choice.

normally i'd say go for it lenny, it's always worth taking advantage of living overseas. but new zealand, and no offence to the kiwis who are great people, is the arse end of nowhere, and not exactly brimming with opportunities is it? my cousin's bf/fiancee is from there and he said he'd never go back, boring as fuck. seems the main attraction is 'quality of life' but that's subjective, and the stuff nz has on offer seems more focused on older people who have already made their mark professionaly or had their fun in their 20s and want to settle down with their kids/grandkids.

though again, if you dont go you might regret it, and it is not like you can't come back after a year if it's not right for you. do some research and if it seems like it can offer you a good life go and try it out.

I've spent about half my adult life abroad, living in six different countries and returning to the UK for two spells. At the moment I'm based in Berlin and spend a fair bit of time in Morocco (sometimes work, sometimes play -- there are chunks of my life there now). I also keep a tiny place in London but hardly ever use it -- work doesn't drag me there very often anymore, and the appeal of seeing friends doesn't make up for the sheer expense and hassle of the place. I don't really miss England at all.

Don't think I could hack living in Oz or NZ, though -- too far away from everything.

normally i'd say go for it lenny, it's always worth taking advantage of living overseas. but new zealand, and no offence to the kiwis who are great people, is the arse end of nowhere, and not exactly brimming with opportunities is it? my cousin's bf/fiancee is from there and he said he'd never go back, boring as fuck. seems the main attraction is 'quality of life' but that's subjective, and the stuff nz has on offer seems more focused on older people who have already made their mark professionaly or had their fun in their 20s and want to settle down with their kids/grandkids.

though again, if you dont go you might regret it, and it is not like you can't come back after a year if it's not right for you. do some research and if it seems like it can offer you a good life go and try it out.

Thanks for the advise mate, my biggest concern is that as you say, its just in the middle of no-where, a lot of people don't realize how far away it is just from Australia, let alone anywhere else. I don't think it would be something I'd regret if I didn't go when my parents did because if they stay over there, then there's nothing stopping me from going over at a later time.

I've heard they have a lot of openings in the IT and Carpentry industry, and incidentally I work in IT and my dad's a carpenter, so if true, presents a good opportunity.

Another concern of mine is that since the cost of living is so much cheaper over there, it would be easy enough getting out there and living comfortably, but would be difficult to come back.

I've never had the desire to move to Australia/New Zealand or anywhere like that, I know we've got our problems but I've always felt really lucky to be born in Britain, it's class.

It is. That's not why we're going.

It's funny every time I mention this, most people start ranting about how this place is "going to the dogs". It's not, we enjoy a very good standard of living here, it's just that having 3 young kids, we thought that they would be better off growing up in an outdoor, more relaxed environment, instead of being couped up in the house for two thirds of the year due to rain and it being dark early.

You can get the footy on Foxtel (their version of Sky), which uses the exact same feeds as football first and you can choose which match you want to watch.

I'd give it a go Lenny, do you want to get later on in life and think about how you could have?

Have to say I've been concidering the opposite. I live on the Gold Coast in Oz, but am thinking about heading over to your side of the world for a 12month working visa, then might stay on a bit longer if i like it.

Thing is, I dont know where I would want to move to in the British Isles, lass i grew up with is moving to Ireland to be with her missus, old Manager wants me to go to Northern Ireland check it out there, where he grew up. Part of me would love to check out Newcastle and get to go to games for a season, while I don't think I could live somewhere without a good Punk scene, so London tempts me as well. The way we have been playing lately though and all the turmoil in the club, I don't think I could make my decision on that purely alone, but i don't know what else there is in that area for entertainment.

Any advice on the situation would be much appreciated.

Have to say I've been concidering the opposite. I live on the Gold Coast in Oz, but am thinking about heading over to your side of the world for a 12month working visa, then might stay on a bit longer if i like it.

is it a working holiday visa? are they extendable beyond 12 months?

I know Pom's coming over our way can get a 12month working holiday visa, and then have it extended, i imagine that it would work both ways, the other thing i could try for is that my old man was born in England, and live there til he was about 10.This is speculation from my part that he would hold English citizenship, and because of it, would i then be eligible for it as well, so i would have duel citizenship. Alot i still need to research into i know, but I'm just trying to get the basic outline sorted to begin with.

aussies can get a 2 year working visa in the UK, loads of them do it. something like 200,000 aussies on working holiday visas in the uk at any given time, and i think i saw half of them in the pub yesterday. Edinburgh seems like a popular destination for them, as does London obviously.

Youll do as your told young man :)

Lived in Perth for nearly 5 years in the 80s and still got family over there, excellent way of life, but not cheap any more, house prices etc are about the same as here