Why last night's attendance was a good sign

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Howaythetoon

Despite the predictable media headlines and the ranting and ravings of a kid who hasn't experienced the real world yet I think last night's attendance was not only tremendous given the current climate but more than that I was very heartened by it and always am with these games because it proves we have a much larger fanbase than those that go to the match every week. There may be no more waiting lists of people willing to go to every game but Newcastle United Football Club can still and always will be able to count on the city's support as proved once again last night.

Not many clubs have a back-up support but we certainly do I believe. I don't have the statistics to back me up my mate works in the box office and its common knowledge at the box office that for friendlies and cup games at least half that go are not season ticket holders or regular buyers of league tickets from general sale. Most are newbies, whole families, large congregations of kids going along as a group of mates and walk-up fans.

My mate told me they had sold in between 10-12,000 tickets at dinner time yesterday so that means in only a few hours some 8,000 tickets were sold. That's quite an astonishing figure considering the match was televised, an evening game and given we have no manager, the club is up for sale and the team have only won 1 game this season in normal time.

I got the number 1 into Toon and along Benwell and Elswick the bus stops were lined with adults and kids on their way to the match which you don't get on the way to a league game.

Cup games now mean a decrease in attendance figures but such games give others a chance to watch their club and these "other" fans never cease to show up so I say well done to those who did go and take great heart knowing there are thousands and thousands that have either been priced out or don't usually have the time or means to go, all willing to chip in when perhaps those that can afford to go and have the time and means to go don't want to or can't, and that's not a dig at season ticket holders by the way because I only went because my two nephews had badgered me all day to take them. Otherwise I'd have watched it in the comfort of my home.

:thup:

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Despite the predictable media headlines and the ranting and ravings of a kid who hasn't experienced the real world yet I think last night's attendance was not only tremendous given the current climate but more than that I was very heartened by it and always am with these games because it proves we have a much larger fanbase than those that go to the match every week. There may be no more waiting lists of people willing to go to every game but Newcastle United Football Club can still and always will be able to count on the city's support as proved once again last night.

Not many clubs have a back-up support but we certainly do I believe. I don't have the statistics to back me up my mate works in the box office and its common knowledge at the box office that for friendlies and cup games at least half that go are not season ticket holders or regular buyers of league tickets from general sale. Most are newbies, whole families, large congregations of kids going along as a group of mates and walk-up fans.

My mate told me they had sold in between 10-12,000 tickets at dinner time yesterday so that means in only a few hours some 8,000 tickets were sold. That's quite an astonishing figure considering the match was televised, an evening game and given we have no manager, the club is up for sale and the team have only won 1 game this season in normal time.

I got the number 1 into Toon and along Benwell and Elswick the bus stops were lined with adults and kids on their way to the match which you don't get on the way to a league game.

Cup games now mean a decrease in attendance figures but such games give others a chance to watch their club and these "other" fans never cease to show up so I say well done to those who did go and take great heart knowing there are thousands and thousands that have either been priced out or don't usually have the time or means to go, all willing to chip in when perhaps those that can afford to go and have the time and means to go don't want to or can't, and that's not a dig at season ticket holders by the way because I only went because my two nephews had badgered me all day to take them. Otherwise I'd have watched it in the comfort of my home.

:thup:

Nope, as we have about 5k on the DD scheme from last season where you get free tickets. "Tickets sold" imo wont include this number.

Loads of students there mind.

Group of approx 15/20 students sitting around us with various accents, 2 of whom were spurs, couple had newcastle tops on but weren't local and the rest were neutral and just there to see a game with it being freshers week.

Another groupd of half a dozen young lasses with Durham uni hoodies on further down as well.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Loads of students there mind.

Group of approx 15/20 students sitting around us with various accents, 2 of whom were spurs, couple had newcastle tops on but weren't local and the rest were neutral and just there to see a game with it being freshers week.

Another groupd of half a dozen young lasses with Durham uni hoodies on further down as well.

Wish i'd been sat near yee. Me and my mate I went with were the only two people in the Gallowgate middle tier stood up and singing the whole game.

I got stared off some baaldy stewards mate when I said "Ashley's Stewards oot, Nigerian consortiums Stewards in" as a joke when he wouldn't let me into the South East corner :lol:

There was nowt impressive about the attendance last night imo.

Would have been about 10 thousand lower had it not been for the direct debit thing and one fact which is overlooked imo is the fact that SJP is right in the city centre, if it was out in the sticks ala Leeds and Elland road, i think we would have gotten even less.

I hate the cup game ticket policy.  They are NEVER priced right imo, the club just want money, they are not arsed about the lift a full house will give the team.

The only one i can recall which was well priced was West Brom in the League cup about 2003 ish. There was a full house iirc.

Guest LucaAltieri

How can an empty stadium EVER be good? Fool.

People save money, the board gets the message, players start to appreciate how important fans are to the game, etc etc.

Aye, the players are crying themselves to sleep. I'm sure the board will be gutted as they cash that Nigerian cheque next week, too.

Load of bollocks.

On the plus side; tmonkey has an extra £30 in his pocket. Lets have a party.

People save money, the board gets the message, players start to appreciate how important fans are to the game, etc etc.

The board got the fucking message.

Guest f***thepress

Because it gets rid of FAT COCKNEY CUNTS ....Want me to walk you through it again???

Guest Toon Argy

Because it gets rid of FAT COCKNEY c***s ....Want me to walk you through it again???

He's a bit slow.

KEEGAN IS KING !!! GOT THAT ? GOOD NOW f*** OFF !!!!!!

You really are internet hard man!, aren't you?, I bet you still got those calluses on your knuckles still from when you  you were walking on them. If you had two more brain cells you'd start bark wouldn't you?