Do we Brits worry too much about racism?

James

Obviously racism is unacceptable.

However, have the PC brigade in Britain taken the definition of racism too far?

Take th eOlympmpic games for example, a lot of the PC brigade had a go at those saying things like: "Africans are genetically better at running and genetically inferior at other sporting disciplines. Likewise, the Chinese excel at technical disciplines, but generally fail at Athletics in accordance to the typuical genetic structure of that nation"

Tonight I spent time in the company of someone from China and Nigeria, and naturally the topic of the Olympic games popped up, and the Nigerian pretty much said the statement above to the Chinese

I told the Nigerian that people who said that in England would be called racist by some, and he said that was silly, because he was able to be proud of what his people can do, and that of course people from different countries were bound to have different strengths and weaknesses, and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out. The Chinaman agreed.

I think that sometimes, with the above example in mind, people in this country worry too much about causing offence, when the reality is that there is no offence to be had.

Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature.  :coolsmiley:

It's a lot like that in America too, fwiw.  I actually have a problem with it because it makes it too easy to write off the accomplishments of someone.

"Oh he only won that race because he's Kenyan."  Well, no he didn't motherfucker.  He won it because he was fucking good at it. 

Granted there's some truth in the statements about people from X or Y region producing better runners/caber tossers/chess players, but by and large I think such accomplishments are down to individual willpower.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature.  :coolsmiley:

It's a lot like that in America too, fwiw.  I actually have a problem with it because it makes it too easy to write off the accomplishments of someone.

"Oh he only won that race because he's Kenyan."  Well, no he didn't motherfucker.  He won it because he was f***ing good at it. 

Granted there's some truth in the statements about people from X or Y region producing better runners/caber tossers/chess players, but by and large I think such accomplishments are down to individual willpower.

I always thought  a Chinaman was a left arm leggie.

i dont think there's a problem in saying that some ethnicities or whatever can be better at certain sports at the very highest levels, but it is stupid when you try to draw generalisations about that, ie saying 'black men are faster than other men" or "the chinese are the best at gymnastics', or worse, trying to attribute other characteristics to races ie 'blacks are good at sport and dancing but stupid in the brain'.

may as well paste what i said in the rebrov thread in here:

comments about black people being faster runners is so dumb - an olympic final is hardly representative of a general population. we could just as easily say black men are slow as fuck because of Ameobi, Geremi and Cacapa.

yes, the fastest 30 or so men in the world might be black, but not just 'black', they tend to be from a very localised part of west africa, and even then tend to live in colonised nations like US or Jamaica, where for many reasons only the fittest slaves survived (surviving capture, detention, starvation, disease, centuries of slavery, deliberate inbreeding etc). once you start going down the list you see that it is fairly even, til you get to the general population and theres no discernable difference. even at the highest levels, if you put in a black long distance runner from kenya in the 100 m final i think they might struggle a bit. and who is to say 100m is the barometer of speed? it's an arbitrary distance limit, why not look at 40 metres or 400 or 800 meteres.

and that's before you even get into discussing culture which has a huge impact on things like these. take for instance academic results. afro-caribbean students tended to come at the bottom of results rankings by race. yet african students were up near the top, above white students, despite being the same 'race' as the afro-carib. why? migrants from the caribbean tend to be poor, working class, and people who are poor or working class tend not to do as well as school. african students, that is migrants from africa, tended, til recently, to be middle-class, and this is a group that usually did well. divide the white students up into working and middle class, and you will get the same results. another example - bangladeshi students often come bottom of such groups, women in these migrant groups are given little independence and often dont speak english, so their kids go into the school system behind everyone else. meanwhile Hindu students often come out on top as more from this group tend to be middle-class.

I think being overly PC can breed more racism in certain cases.

For example every Christmas there are the stories that you aren't allowed Christmas trees in office's because it offends Muslims. I don't for one second believe the majority (by that I mean well above 95%) of Muslims are offended at all by people displaying Christmas tree's. However overly PC bosses may be scared of offending so they ban them. This in turn leads to rags such as the Daily Mail making a story about it, and the articles comes off as Muslims aren't allowing Christmas trees.

The more naive/ignorant types will see this type of story as 'they're at again, trying to bring their laws here, trying to change our customs etc... ' This just makes the matter worse imo.

I think being overly PC can breed more racism in certain cases.

For example every Christmas there are the stories that you aren't allowed Christmas trees in office's because it offends Muslims. I don't for one second believe the majority (by that I mean well above 95%) of Muslims are offended at all by people displaying Christmas tree's. However overly PC bosses may be scared of offending so they ban them. This in turn leads to rags such as the Daily Mail making a story about it, and the articles comes off as Muslims aren't allowing Christmas trees.

The more naive/ignorant types will see this type of story as 'they're at again, trying to bring their laws here, trying to change our customs etc... ' This just makes the matter worse imo.

reminds me of the whole time no long ago when the NHS Trust were debating on removing bibles from hospitals because they thought it would offend the muslims. The muslim community in the UK had nowt to do with it and they themselves said they were not offended with having bibles in hospitals yet the scummy rags like the Daily Mail turned it to make it appear as though the muslim started the whole thing and wanted the bibles removed when infact it was the whole conjured up presumptions made by the NHS Trust :rolleyes:

Obviously racism is unacceptable.

However, have the PC brigade in Britain taken the definition of racism too far?

Take th eOlympmpic games for example, a lot of the PC brigade had a go at those saying things like: "Africans are genetically better at running and genetically inferior at other sporting disciplines. Likewise, the Chinese excel at technical disciplines, but generally fail at Athletics in accordance to the typuical genetic structure of that nation"

Tonight I spent time in the company of someone from China and Nigeria, and naturally the topic of the Olympic games popped up, and the Nigerian pretty much said the statement above to the Chinese

I told the Nigerian that people who said that in England would be called racist by some, and he said that was silly, because he was able to be proud of what his people can do, and that of course people from different countries were bound to have different strengths and weaknesses, and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out. The Chinaman agreed.

I think that sometimes, with the above example in mind, people in this country worry too much about causing offence, when the reality is that there is no offence to be had.

These statments should not be taken as racist at all. They are observations that in the majority are true. From reading these forums, many people are against these stereotypes. Maybe the british are very PC now. It could be because london is so multicultural I dont know.