Joe Kinnear

Skirge

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1404650,00.html

NUFC Statement - Joe Kinnear

NEWCASTLE United have today (Sept 26) appointed Joe Kinnear as manager on a short-term contract.

The vastly-experienced Kinnear has agreed to take temporary charge of first team affairs at St. James' Park until the end of October.

Kinnear is best known in managerial terms for his highly successful spell in charge of Wimbledon during the 1990s.

In his seven years with the Dons they regularly upset the odds and finished in the top half of the Premier League and reached the semi-finals of both the FA and League cups.

He said: "I am very excited about the challenge in front of me at Newcastle United.

"Results have not been great of late, but there is a lot of quality in the squad and I am very confident the players are capable of climbing the league table.

"Newcastle United is a great club. When I was in charge of Wimbledon I always remember the passion of the fans up there and how great a stadium St. James' Park is.

"It is a big challenge but one I am really looking forward to."

Kinnear spent the bulk of his playing career at Tottenham Hotspur as a full-back, winning the FA Cup, UEFA Cup and two League Cups. He was also capped 26 times by the Republic of Ireland.