Mobile Broadband

Tooj

Morning Y'all,

Currently awaiting the installation of the internet in my new flat, and as an interim thing I was thinking of perhaps getting mobile broadband to keep me tidied over. I'm aware there are obvious download limits and things but I wouldn't use it for such a thing in the short-term, mainly as I'm looking for a new job and need it for that.

If anyone can help me out on any decent providers or websites I can look into it it would be much appreciated. Although I'm aware it could be a problem due to most of them having minimum term contracts.

You can get them on PAYG. Dunno how the prices compare though.

Not sure whether I'd recommend Three, it's fine like 80% of the time but the rest it's infuriating as fuck. Don't forget you can't use it for gaming btw, and it's pretty slow in general.

You'd be better just adding data to your mobile contract for a few months and getting by with bluetooth and 3G tbh.

Aye like I said Dave just going to be using it really for browsing as I'm aware of the limitations, just something to tidy me over with for now until we get the internet sorted in the flat. Just picked up the Vodafone one for now so it should arrive in a couple of days. Just need a new job badly at the minute man so that's taking priority at the moment.

Don't forget the Vodafone one isn't as quick as they advertise. The 7.2mbps is only in London.

Aye I read about that.

Cheers for the heads up though mate.

I've just read this somewhere else  :coolsmiley:

my wifey's mate has just logged onto the internet for the first time. She doesn't have a phone, only a mobile so she;s bought a laptop and it is set up to receive broadband using her mobile. It won't let her download adobe flash player, and generally keeps cutting out.

Am I right in presuming that she just has a signal reception problem or is this technology just shite at the moment ?

The tech isn't as good as they think, certainly. It always drops out generally.

cheers Dave. At first, I thought it was maybe that she hadn;t phoned BT to get the gains on her telephone line setup to receive the signal. Then I showed her the splitter on our phone point, and she told me that she doesn't have a phone and was using the mobile.

Stumped me that because I didn't really know you could even do that, but I still had the feeling that it is a reception problem.