DOF in line of fire if Spurs’ struggle goes on

Thespence

Damien Comolli is coming under increasing pressure at Tottenham for sanctioning a near £100million spending spree which has failed to lift the club from the bottom of the Premier League table.

The sporting director is being held responsible for a transfer policy which some blame for the team entering today's match at Portsmouth bottom, two points adrift and a long way from their target of a top-four place. The midweek Carling Cup win at fellow crisis club Newcastle has lifted only slightly the despondent mood among fans upset by Spurs' worst start to a season for 34 years.

So far, criticism of manager Juande Ramos has been muted, not least because it appears he played little part in the buying or selling of players since he took over from the sacked Martin Jol last season.

The Dutchman, currently top of the Bundesliga as coach at SV Hamburg, is understood to have had several disagreements with Comolli during his time in charge, particularly over the £16.5million signing of striker Darren Bent from Charlton 14 months ago.

While Bent is still trying to live up to his price-tag, another expensive Comolli signing, £7.5m defender Younes Kaboul, was allowed to join Portsmouth in the summer, barely a year after being signed. Kevin-Prince Boateng (£6.7m), Ricardo Rocha (£3.2m) and Adel Taarabt (£3m) impressed so little that they have not even been given squad numbers.

Comolli was appointed in September 2005 to replace Frank Arnesen after the Dane moved to Chelsea. Sources close to Spurs have indicated that although it was Comolli who closed the deal which took Dimitar Berbatov to White Hart Lane in 2006, the initial moves were made more than a year earlier by Arnesen.

There are also doubts about other names on the impressive CV Comolli put together during his time as European scout with Arsenal director & St Etienne. Claims he was instrumental in the signing of the likes of Thierry Henry, Robin van Persie and Robert Pires are treated with scepticism at the Emirates Stadium.

Comolli's predicament contrasts sharply with the situation when he arrived at Spurs, when chairman Daniel Levy insisted: 'I believe he will be a huge asset to the club with his forward-thinking approach to international networking and partnerships.'

Levy's determination to make Manchester United pay through the nose for their alleged tapping-up of Berbatov was a factor in Ramos being unable to reshape his squad as early as he would have liked.

Publicly, Ramos describes his relationship with Comolli as 'excellent', but there are believed to be tensions behind the scenes. Eyebrows were raised earlier this month when Spurs fired four long-serving scouts, Bryan King, Tony Book, Alan Hill and Eddie Presland.

Given Comolli's key role in the capture of Ramos from Sevilla a year ago, the Frenchman's selfassuredness will be put to the test if Spurs continue to struggle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1063394/Comolli-line-Spurs-8217-struggle-goes-on.html

The irony being that a lot of fans on here, many who will be anti-DOF/anti-Wise, think Spurs did good business over the summer and we would have loved most of the players they signed.

The irony being that a lot of fans on here, many who will be anti-DOF/anti-Wise, think Spurs did good business over the summer and we would have loved most of the players they signed.

I think the difference is that they supposedly work as a committee with a joint approach - I have no problem with that and on that basis think it would be unfair to single out Comolli.

The problem we had as far as I can see is friction, opposed agendas, lack of cohesion and at a basic level no money. IMO Ashley should have intervened earlier and either banged their heads together or made changes if it was unworkable.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

The two bottom clubs in the Premier League having mangers who didn't choose the players to buy.....who'd have thought it.

Always had deep suspicions about Comolli, seems like a smoothy bullshitter. Spurs' progress came to an end when Arnesen left and he arrived.

One problem with DoFs, particularly when tried in England at least, is they always appear to escape the blame - I think largely as football people (supporters, press and boards) still see the manager as the figurehead ultimately responsible for the team's performance. Whilst there's this philosophy floating around which says you should keep the DoF to retain continuity in the club's overall structure, instead of 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater' when a change of manager is required, I think those responsible should be much more prepared to scrutinise and replace such backstage figures.

Trouble is, they always seem to have the ear of the chairman...

The thing is this idea about a structure which is long term would suggest a cohesive policy about type of players signed with an idea of a style - eg Arsenal flair Vs Bolton fitness/strength. This would then suggest continuity when managers change but it completely neglects how managers usually work in wanting "their" players/style.

Ashley's supposed plan would therefore have suggested a cohesive approach to managers as well - meaning people not only happy with the structure but with the style/targetting policy as well.

I know we've suffered more than most due to managerial player turnover but I feel this reduced influence and culpability for the manager himself still feels unnatural to me.

How can anyone involved in football think that someone who doesn't see training and often doesn't even see games can be in a position to know what changes should be made to the squad?

That's why it needs phenomenal team ethos - there would be nothing wrong with a setup if the manager briefed the rest on who he wants as well as who the wasters are but I'm a million miles from being convinced this idea has worked anywhere.

Guest quklaani

He's a cretin who should have refused to let Keane go (he was their captain for christ's sake) and sold Berbatov much sooner.  Obviously I'm biased here, but the extra five million their holding out gained them is hilariously useless.  If they'd sold him for 25 million in July and got Arshavin and then bought a decent midfielder instead of that useless russian striker they'd be laughing.

Arshavin, Veloso and Keane, or Campbell, Pavlyuchenko and Captain Jenas?

Spurs...  :nope:

It's amazing how all these continental clubs manage to get by, really.

Ozzie which clubs are they then? 

You don't think many do or something?

Just interested to know which clubs he means. My personnel favorite is Seville with Monchi & I think Lyons special advisor Lacombe does a good job

How can anyone involved in football think that someone who doesn't see training and often doesn't even see games can be in a position to know what changes should be made to the squad?

Like Keegan in January?

When he arrived he mentioned probable signings. After judging the squad in a short time spell he declared it as good enough to stay up (apart from trying to sign Woodgate which would have been an excellent signing).

He was right.

The loss of Keane and Berbatov really rocked them and Pav was never going to be anywhere near as good. I still thought watching them spank roma they'd do well.

The loss of Keane and Berbatov really rocked them and Pav was never going to be anywhere near as good. I still thought watching them spank roma they'd do well.

+ selling Defoe last season has come back to haunt them.

To lose 3 goalscorers  in such a short period of time is killing them. Bent has not produced anything near his Charlton form, the jury is still out on Pav. Campbell is there as back up if the other two are unfit.

Let's face it, given the usual brilliant timing of our managerial changeovers, [/b] we've effectively started the season with managers who didn't choose their players almost as often as not over the last dozen years.

except that Man U appointed Alex Ferguson in the November, and Arsenal appointed Wenger in September 1996. Bad timing ?

Let's face it, given the usual brilliant timing of our managerial changeovers, [/b] we've effectively started the season with managers who didn't choose their players almost as often as not over the last dozen years.

except that Man U appointed Alex Ferguson in the November, and Arsenal appointed Wenger in September 1996. Bad timing ?

TBF, we didn't have transfer windows then did we?

Although Man United then gave Ferguson 3 years to win them something, and 6 to win the league.

Although Man United then gave Ferguson 3 years to win them something, and 6 to win the league.

A whole 3 years?  Now that's patience! :D

A whole 3 years?  Now that's patience! :D

3 years = 7 managers tbh