Martins out for 2 weeks

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

NEWCASTLE United boss Glenn Roeder says he will protect Obafemi Martins for the next fortnight to prevent any further damage to a tight hamstring.

The former Inter Milan man was substituted at half-time in the 3-0 Carling Cup win over Portsmouth on Wednesday and didn't figure in Saturday's goalless draw with Charlton Athletic at St. James' Park.

After the Addicks stalemate, the boss revealed: "Oba has a tight hamstring. If he continued to play for the next two weeks it would have the potential to turn into a hamstring tear.

"Players with the speed he has often pick up hamstring strains. We need to protect him for the next couple of weeks.

"We don't think he will be out any longer than two weeks but unfortunately two weeks with our fixture list now means four games. We are playing every three or four days from now to January 1st."

Martins was one of seven injured United players at the weekend and Roeder added: "The squad is certainly being tested to its limits. I don't like the description `bare bones' but we are short of numbers.

"But there will be no moaning from me. I will just say what I always say - that it's an opportunity for others to stake a claim for a place in the team."

Link

Guest smoggeordie

Sib, Shola, Martins, Owen and Rossi all can't play on Thursday.

We're going to get well and truely humped.

At least Luque will feel more accustomed to continental football.

Milner and duff up front if clueless is still picking the team.

What's the betting Luque won't start?

Besides - is Ameobi definitely out? Is it just the hip thing, because i thought he would be OK?

Doesn't really matter anyway, i'd rather save our half-fit players for the winnable game at the weekend. Palermo are the best team in Italy at the moment (they won 2-0 in the San Siro the other day) and they'll past us anyway.

If I was Luque and I know the only time the manager will decide to play me is when every rubbish in the club is injured then I WOULD TILL THE MANAGER TO GO F*** HIMSELF...

Luque should leave this crap...He is better than to be treated like this....

Guest Gemmill

If I was Luque and I know the only time the manager will decide to play me is when every rubbish in the club is injured then I WOULD TILL THE MANAGER TO GO F*** HIMSELF...

Luque should leave this crap...He is better than to be treated like this....

Yeah, yeah, Luque is AMAZING.  He's just been pretending to be shit every time he's played for us.  I don't understand either why Roeder won't pick him.  He surely deserves it.