Roeder: My strikers were superb

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

GLENN Roeder handed out praise to his two stand-in striker Giuseppe Rossi and Damien Duff - despite their failure to hit the target against Charlton Athletic at St. James' Park.

With the three main forwards all injured, loanee Rossi and winger Duff led the line and Roeder said: "I asked Damien Duff to play in an unfamiliar striking role. He is a fantastic professional to work with - you can ask him to play anywhere and he will say `yes' with a smile on his face.

"He's played wide right, wide left, and as a striker today. We started the game with one natural striker, and as well as young Rossi played, it's an awful big ask for a 19-year-old to lead the line for Newcastle United.

"I thought he did it really well until he tired in the last 10 or 15 minutes, but I left him on because if a chance fell his way he would know what to do with it."

Duff was denied a goalscoring chance when Charlton defender Soulemayne Diawara clipped his heels on the edge of the box after 28 minutes, though no foul was given by referee Mike Dean.

And Roeder said: "Damien was clean through then clipped and brought down. Why would Damien want to fall over when he was in on the keeper?"

Link

------------------------------------------------

He really knew what to do with his chances today  :roll:

fucking moron, please get out of the club asap.  his tactics were clueless today.  long balls to 3ft 4" Guiseppe Rossi, hmmmm...

and as for duff, he had the chances to get a hat trick, and never got one.

With the three main forwards all injured, loanee Rossi and winger Duff led the line and Roeder said: "I asked Damien Duff to play in an unfamiliar striking role. He is a fantastic professional to work with - you can ask him to play anywhere and he will say `yes' with a smile on his face.

well we need never worry about Harper getting injured then, Pav Im leaving you on the bench son, Damiens gonna have a go between the sticks.

well we need never worry about Harper getting injured then, Pav Im leaving you on the bench son, Damiens gonna have a go between the sticks.

:lol: it wouldn't suprise me if he did.

Guest Village Idiot

It's called "man management" folks. After your strikers spend a game failing to hit a barn door the manager isn't supposed to go and say "you were shit", the manager is supposed to support them.

You can slate Roeder for a lot of things, but for this you are taking it too far imho.

Are they going to get any better if he regards that as 'superb'?

They're more likely to get better if he tells them the truth, and tells them that it wasn't good enough.

Didn't work for Souness tbf!

Guest Village Idiot

Are they going to get any better if he regards that as 'superb'?

They're more likely to get better if he tells them the truth, and tells them that it wasn't good enough.

A team in Newcastle's position now has only one thing that matters: morale. Your players are *not* shit. You need to give'em confidence. Telling them that they are shit won't improve their finishing, coaches do. But the most important thing now is to keep spirits high in a moment were the team's results are bad. That's what Roeder is doing. Man managing is one of the things he's best at (not much else there, I'll concede that).

C'mon Duff probably is feeling like shit now for missing so many sitters, his manager's got to comfort him not tell him "yeah, you're a tosser Damien".

I'm not saying he should slag them off. We weren't crap, we weren't shit - i refuse to say that we were, and i blame the manager more so for the draw than the players. We ran out of ideas eventually and he didn't change it; Charlton brought on a defender so we should have coutnered that by bringing on an attacker - which he didn't. I'm not blaming the players for that.

I'm drifting off the point though... Roeder shouldn't slag them off, he should tell them the truth. The truth was - that performance was not good enough and it bemuses me how he can be satisfied with that. Telling them that they're shit won't help them... telling them that they are better than what they gave today, will.

His post-match comments just narked me altogether. He criticises the team for not scoring a goal, then in his next interview he claims that his strikers were superb. :?

Viewing that Rossi shot onto the bar on MOTD again, he really should have scored. Awful miss.

To be fair he did have two defenders on the line he had to try and get the ball over.

He was no more than a few yards out. Directing it on target would have probably yielded a goal IMO.

Guest smoggeordie

Viewing that Rossi shot onto the bar on MOTD again, he really should have scored. Awful miss.

To be fair he did have two defenders on the line he had to try and get the ball over.

He was no more than a few yards out. Directing it on target would have probably yielded a goal IMO.

The defenders were nowhere near where he was shooting, he had about a third of the goal to aim at IIRC.