Thoughts on the Cahill red card...

Neil

Apologies as this is a bit off topic, but I'm interested in people's thoughts on the Cahill dismissal at the weekend, and the subsequent failed appeal. Do you think it's double standards, as we're not in the Sky 4? (Referring to Terry's successful appeal for a similar offence). Do you think it was just crap refereeing? Or do you think Riley got it spot on? Personally I think it was Tim's reaction to it and him not going to the ref straight away that ultimately did the damage, but you can't help but feel the sweet FA once again are trying out their punishments on anyone other than the top 4 (e.g. the Moyes charge, what a joke).

How was Terry's a similar offence?

I didn't think Cahill's quite warranted a red but nor did I think it deserved overturning the decision. It was a quite dangerous tackle and players know that if they go in with two feet, they're risking a red regardless of contact.

I think Mike Riley got it spot on, if he sent him off for his conduct. The foul was a yellow, but as he beckoned him to come to him, more than once, then he's off for dissent. And quite right too.

Players have to learn that they can't go around showing dissent to refs and linesmen like that.

Another thing, is that the suspensions for all red cards is far to lenient.

I remember a time when Derek Dougan and somebody else [anybody remember this ?] got an 8 match ban for a scuffle they had. Sent shock waves through the game but it wasn't repeated and tailed off again.

I think Mike Riley got it spot on, if he sent him off for his conduct. The foul was a yellow, but as he beckoned him to come to him, more than once, then he's off for dissent. And quite right too.

Players have to learn that they can't go around showing dissent to refs and linesmen like that.

I remember a time when Derek Dougan and somebody else [anybody remember this ?] got an 8 match ban for a scuffle they had. Sent shock waves through the game but it wasn't repeated and tailed off again.

Spot on.  A straight red for dissent and the only mistake they've made is not making it clear that it wasn't for the tackle.  They missed an opportunity to send a message out to all other players.

As far as the suspensions for reds is concerned there's a rumour that they are looking into a system where all reds carry am automatic one game bad with additional games being decided by a panel.  As long as they have some proper guidelines that sounds much better than the current system.

I think straight red cards - for bad dissent like Riley and Cahill, or violent challenges - should be an automatic long ban, of about 6 games or more if necessary ie for repeated red cards.

Other reds can be judged on merit. But I think Yellow cards should be an automatic 10 minute "sin bin". The current 2 yellows = 1 red is OK as it stands.

Its ridiculous, players being booked and sent off for dissent. That would soon sort it out.

I haven't actually seen the incident but I fully support the ref's decision to send Cashill off...and this has nothing to do whatsoever with the fact it means he won't play against us on Sunday.

bit harsh like, getting sent off for blowing the ref a kiss

I haven't actually seen the incident but I fully support the ref's decision to send Cashill off...and this has nothing to do whatsoever with the fact it means he won't play against us on Sunday.

bit harsh like, getting sent off for blowing the ref a kiss

Maybe the ref should have given him a Valentine's card instead of a red one then.

If there's one thing that I could pick to lose from football it's the hassling of the refs. Drives me up the wall.

All refs should start a season by booking ANY show of dissent. If that means sending 6 players off and booking 8 more in a game for the first month or 2 then so be it. Once the suspensions kicked in, the dissent would stop.

As an alternative, I'd award a free-kick in their own D against the team who have a player booked for dissent. The opposition would be allowed to place the ball anywhere in the D - even if it meant moving play 100 yards up the field automatically. A bit like a penalty corner in hockey.

If it was a yellow for the challenge and then another yellow for dissent then surely Riley would have shown him 2 yellow cards?

The way I see it he got a straight red for the tackle, which is a bit of a joke really. Another sign of Mike Riley wanting to be the big man on the big occasion and make decisions that get people talking about him rather than the match.

I felt that Cahill should have been sent off earlier in the match during the Arbeloa incident.

Whilst Arbeloa's challenge was very poor, if memory serves me right, I thought Cahill raised a hand to Arbeloa's face in retaliation. Petty maybe but by letter of the law should have gone.

I really don't mind dissent, and I don't see why there are ideas of such harsh punishments. A yellow card is fine. midds...what you are proposing is stupid and gimmicy. Allowing teams to place freekicks wherever they want....that would be insane. Dissent is far from the biggest problem in football, and frankly as long as the referees have some control over the match dissent should not be a problem. Yellow cards aren't insignificant...if a player steps too far over the line....fine book him. End of story. Unfortunately, referees are generally poor now it seems

Never a red imo. Yellow nailed on. Poorly timed but not particularly dangerous.

He wasn't sent off for the tackle,which in my opinion,wasn't even a yellow,but for the petulant disrespect of the ref,which i might add was Everton's reaction every time Mike Riley gave a free kick against them.

Guest youcantseeme

He was sent off for walking away, and Riley just thought "Fuck it". If you watch the tackle again, its late but Cahill brings his second leg around and smacks Alonso at full force. He scissored him in the non-lezzer way, and tried to break his ankle. Then he is thick enough to walk away from Riley while swearing at him after what happened to Riley last season...

Guest kingdawson

How was Terry's a similar offence?

I didn't think Cahill's quite warranted a red but nor did I think it deserved overturning the decision. It was a quite dangerous tackle and players know that if they go in with two feet, they're risking a red regardless of contact.

That's exactly what i was thinking.

I felt that Cahill should have been sent off earlier in the match during the Arbeloa incident.

Whilst Arbeloa's challenge was very poor, if memory serves me right, I thought Cahill raised a hand to Arbeloa's face in retaliation. Petty maybe but by letter of the law should have gone.

No, he never. As I remember it he pushed Arbeloa away from him (in the chest) when Arbeloa was getting in his face after kicking his standing leg from behind. If anything Arbeloa should have gone for violent conduct by the letter of the law.

And anyone saying Cahill should have gone for dissent, that's nonsense when you consider Ashley Cole did exactly the same thing to Riley (yellow worthy challenge and then walking away) and wasn't sent off.

I fully expected the ban to stand though. I can't remember the last player apart from John Terry that got a wrong decision overturned by our useless FA. If Terry wasn't the new England captain then his would have stood too.

No, he never. As I remember it he pushed Arbeloa away from him (in the chest) when Arbeloa was getting in his face after kicking his standing leg from behind. If anything Arbeloa should have gone for violent conduct by the letter of the law.

And anyone saying Cahill should have gone for dissent, that's nonsense when you consider Ashley Cole did exactly the same thing to Riley (yellow worthy challenge and then walking away) and wasn't sent off.

I fully expected the ban to stand though. I can't remember the last player apart from John Terry that got a wrong decision overturned by our useless FA. If Terry wasn't the new England captain then his would have stood too.

Ashley Cole should have walked also.Riley,who had been heavily and rightly criticised for his lenience then,was never going to let it happen again.2 wrongs do not make a right,and Cahill deserved to go for his petulant act,although Cahill is an excellent player,he clearly lacks a few olives.