I'll defend Roeder

stozo

Again I'll probobly get bashedfor this but oh well.

What was he supposed to do today? For me he did everything he could have done. People blame him for the team not scoring a goal, the team is always going to be a struggle for us when we are missing 3 of our 4 strikers and 2 key midfielders (Dyer and Emre), I add Dyer there because you have to believe up until yesterday Dyer will have been involved in all the training and no doubt would have been part of our gameplan.

Also some fans can't seem to accept what this time really is. It is a transition year. The club is in a very bad financial situation, Roeder has only been able to add 4 members to Souness's squad, he's lost Owen for the year and had to let argueably his favourite midfielder from last season, Bowyer, leave.

My personal opinion is that from the start this season has been a write off. Get what we can, stay up, do as well in the cups as possible and then further build on the squad. What good is it going to do sacking Roeder? We'll have to pay him off which will cost the club more money, no doubt the new manager will cost a fair bit to bring in and then he'll revamp the squad again, and maybe some of the guys like Oba won't fit in with his plans and we'll have to spend more money on new players and we'll be right back where we were this summer.

Guest Gemmill

He could have changed things by bringing Milner on sooner and he could have got a message on to Parker and Butt to get up and support the front two.  Every time we went forward it was pretty much Duff or Rossi in the middle and no fucker else making any effort.  He could have played Steven Taylor at right back instead of Stephen Cannonballhead Carr who is shit.

Where was the urgency man?  Remember when we used to actually treat home games as games that we had a RIGHT to win?  These days teams come to SJP and they don't have to do a great deal to walk away with a share of things. 

We don't look like staying up, but no half decent manager would come here in the current circumstances anyway. I think we're stuck with him, like it or not. He's been shafted good and proper by Shepherd.

Where was the urgency man?  Remember when we used to actually treat home games as games that we had a RIGHT to win?  These days teams come to SJP and they don't have to do a great deal to walk away with a share of things. 

Ten minutes. He gave Milner, an attacking player who goes at the opposition positively ten minutes. Pathetic.

He could have changed things by bringing Milner on sooner and he could have got a message on to Parker and Butt to get up and support the front two. Every time we went forward it was pretty much Duff or Rossi in the middle and no fucker else making any effort. He could have played Steven Taylor at right back instead of Stephen Cannonballhead Carr who is shit.

Where was the urgency man? Remember when we used to actually treat home games as games that we had a RIGHT to win? These days teams come to SJP and they don't have to do a great deal to walk away with a share of things.

:thup:

He could have changed things by bringing Milner on sooner and he could have got a message on to Parker and Butt to get up and support the front two.  Every time we went forward it was pretty much Duff or Rossi in the middle and no fucker else making any effort.  He could have played Steven Taylor at right back instead of Stephen Cannonballhead Carr who is shit.

I'll sgree with you on the Mlner piont should have been brought on earlier. However I'll say with the midfield it's pretty obvious Parker slightly damaged his knee early in the game and because of the lack of depth on the bench Roeder was forced to make Parker the holding midfield player and make Butt attempt to play Parker's role.

As for Taylor/Carr I didn't think Carr played that bad today and Taylor looked slighly uncertain at RB on Wednesday.

I'll sgree with you on the Mlner piont should have been brought on earlier. However I'll say with the midfield it's pretty obvious Parker slightly damaged his knee early in the game and because of the lack of depth on the bench Roeder was forced to make Parker the holding midfield player and make Butt attempt to play Parker's role.

As for Taylor/Carr I didn't think Carr played that bad today and Taylor looked slighly uncertain at RB on Wednesday.

He could have brought on Milner for Parker if needed.

Can you remember a game when Milner has SUCCESSFULLY been deployed at a central midfielder? He is a winger not a central midfielder.

Can you remember a game when Milner has SUCCESSFULLY been deployed at a central midfielder? He is a winger not a central midfielder.

He has played many good games at CM for England. He is an attacking midfielder, he could play well anywhere across the midfield IMO and it is another option if Parker was struggling too much to have any influence on the game.

We played 2 holding midfield players at home to the bottom team in the League.  Defend that.

^ i don't think milner looks any cop in the middle, even for the under21s. though you have a point that we needed someone from midfield to push up in the 2nd half. it seemed as if it was duff up top by himself most the time. solano and rossi looked fucked after an hour so really roeder should've been looked at taking both off and thinking about how he'd make that change work in our favour.

He has played many good games at CM for England. He is an attacking midfielder, he could play well anywhere across the midfield IMO and it is another option if Parker was struggling too much to have any influence on the game.

On the contrary I think Parker had a lot of influence on the game, did a solid job as a DM and you could see he was encouraging the other players to keep trying when things weren't coming off fo0r him.

Also these are good games are for England. He has been played in centre midfield with Newcastle and has looked slighly lose and rather ineffective tbh.

Guest smoggeordie

How can you defend him? From 6, yes SIX, matches against mediocre/shit opposition (boro, charlton, fulham, everton, villa, bolton) we have scored 3, yes THREE, goals.

2 points from 6 games. Acceptable, or not?

we didnt play two holding midfielders. in the first half, parker did very well getting forward, and was the driving force behind a lot of the attacks. he took a knock, and without a suitable option on the bench, he told parker to sit back a bit more and butt to get forward more. obviously going forward isnt one of butts strengths, but he didnt do too bad at it. but it wasnt playing two people in the holding role.

and i'll just say if duff had scored that tap in, or had rossis flick been an inch lower...or any of the numerous chances we had gone in, we would not be having these discussions.

bluelaugh.gif

we didnt play two holding midfielders. in the first half, parker did very well getting forward, and was the driving force behind a lot of the attacks. he took a knock, and without a suitable option on the bench, he told parker to sit back a bit more and butt to get forward more. obviously going forward isnt one of butts strengths, but he didnt do too bad at it. but it wasnt playing two people in the holding role.

OK then, I must have been imagining seeing them both on the halfway line for most of the 2nd half.

and i'll just say if duff had scored that tap in, or had rossis flick been an inch lower...or any of the numerous chances we had gone in, we would not be having these discussions.

Yep, that would give us something to really celebrate....

bluelaugh.gif

Given up on using words again? Don't blame you at your age typing must be a bit of a struggle!

How can you defend him? From 6, yes SIX, matches against mediocre/shit opposition (boro, charlton, fulham, everton, villa, bolton) we have scored 3, yes THREE, goals.

Not acceptable but how can a manager be judged on 6 games. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't David Moyes's Everton bottom around this time last year, he managed to turn things round when given the chance. If we are still aorund the bottom 3 in mid-Feburary then that is the time to hit the panic button.

Not acceptable but how can a manager be judged on 6 games. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't David Moyes's Everton bottom around this time last year, he managed to turn things round when given the chance. If we are still aorund the bottom 3 in mid-Feburary then that is the time to hit the panic button.

The time to hit the panic button was when we appointed Roeder.

We played 2 holding midfield players at home to the bottom team in the League.  Defend that.

We've been doing that most of the time since Souness wasted the money on Parker and Emre. Don't forget how much the team improved when Parker was out last season and Bowyer was in the middle, breaking forward etc.

The problem is that Parker doesn't know how to break forward and Emre plays deep as well. With Emre out of the team and Butt in the team it still isn't ideal, but it would have been better had Parker been out and Emre alongside Butt because at least Emre would make an attempt to create something in advanced areas. 

Parker is the liability in all of this. The best combo in the middle would be Butt and  Dyer, imo.