Streaming .mp4 files on XBOX 360...

Coco

I've been trying to sort this out myself and must admit, I'm stuck  :blush:. I have a few .mp4 files that I want to stream onto my xbox from my laptop. This process works fine with divx (avi) files and mp3s etc. but when I try and play the .mp4 files, the xbox doesn't find them. As far as I'm aware, mp4s should play ok since last years update, but I just can't figure it out. They do play if I burn them to a disk, but that's a bit too much effort, I'd much rather be able to stream them like I do with all the other files. Any suggestions? 

:angel:

random.

I've got this going via my mac over wireless, but find that shoving a good old external hdd is the best way to do it

Agree.

I've got two USB-cables, one to my computer, the other to the xbox, just switch back and forth effortlessly.

From what I could tell WMP won't share mp4 files.

Stupid but simple solution: change the file extension to avi. This will let the 360 see the files but still play it as if it were an mp4.

That's done the job. Where I was having a problem was with fucking Vista. I tried doing this the other day, but could only change the name, not the actual file extension. I still have difficulty doing basic things in Vista that I took for granted in XP...  :dave:

Ah well, at least it works...  :crazy2:

From what I could tell WMP won't share mp4 files.

Stupid but simple solution: change the file extension to avi. This will let the 360 see the files but still play it as if it were an mp4.

That's done the job. Where I was having a problem was with fucking Vista. I tried doing this the other day, but could only change the name, not the actual file extension. I still have difficulty doing basic things in Vista that I took for granted in XP... :dave:

Ah well, at least it works... :crazy2:

Well, even in XP you had to go into folder options to get explorer to show you extensions. One of those silly power-user things we have to turn on every time we install windows.