Mind your language

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1067077/Mind-language-plain-English-Kinnear-points-error-Newcastle-ways.html?ITO=1490

Joe Kinnear has been in football's most unwanted job for less than a week, but already the Newcastle caretaker boss has identified the root of the club's woeful League form and questioned the transfer policy which forced out Kevin Keegan.

Keegan's second spell as Newcastle manager came to a bitter end last month when he dared to question the wisdom of coaching and picking players he had never heard of, signed by football directors Dennis Wise and Tony Jiminez.

After just a few days in the Tyneside hot seat, Kinnear has admitted he has struggled to get his forthright message across to his players in the dressing room, because the majority cannot understand him.

Kinnear said: 'Every manager has a way of motivating a player, telling them to do this or do that. I've told Xisco ''you're not making the runs, you're not getting to the near post - Damien Duff is putting all these crosses in and you've not been on the end of one of them".

'So I stop training and I say "Now, why are you there? Why aren't you attacking that run? Why are you outside the box when you're job is to be inside the box putting it in the net?" You can do that with an English player immediately.

'We need leadership, that's for sure. We need the senior players to be more vocal and to lead by example. If I go back to my Wimbledon days, we had people who were prepared to get stuck into other people but the first thing I noticed on Saturday was that there were no comments whatsoever. Everyone was quiet - really quiet. Normally I've been used to dressing rooms that are on fire.

'The number of languages is part of it and we've got to address that. Jose Enrique seems to be the one that speaks English and he speaks to the rest of the Spanish speaking lads. We pass things on that way.

'It's going to be difficult talking to them - I'm not denying that fact. But I can demonstrate to them and it's all football jargon anyway. I've handled a couple of foreign lads in my career and they spoke perfect English. This is a totally new situation for me.

'I've spent the last two days showing them as much as talking to them. I've been demonstrating where I want to go and pointing out what the best way to defend is. We need a talker at the back telling people what to do - telling the other defenders to stop players at source, stop them getting crosses in, to get tighter.'

Kinnear has spent the week meeting owner Mike Ashley and chairman Derek Llambias and inadvertently revealed the club are in takeover talks with eight interested parties. On Thursday night it emerged the consortium from South Africa could be on the verge of making a £300million bid.

Kinnear has also met his coaching staff and the senior players, including captain Michael Owen. He added: 'The players feel like they've been left in the lurch in terms of the communication from the club, but I've told them everything straight and we've just got to get on with it. It's as simple as that.

'Yes, they have to take responsibility as far as the football is concerned - as does the manager. You can't use things that are happening at the club as an excuse for a poor performance.

'If you get turned over, you can't say "We're worried about who's coming in to buy the club". I sense the confidence is at the lowest it's ever been. We need a quick change of attitude. You lift confidence by not moping too much about what happened. Whatever negative stuff that's coming out in the media or press you have to get on with it.'

In his first weekly meeting with the media on Thursday, Kinnear launched an extraordinary foul-mouthed tirade at the negative coverage of his appointment. The Dubliner even threatened to pull the plug on his press conferences.

In one of the few printable exchanges, Kinnear said: 'I'm ridiculed for no reason. I'm defenceless. I can't get a point in, I can't say nothing, I can't do nothing, but I ain't going to be negative.

JFK isn't just communicating, he's singing like a canary.

He comes across well when he speaks. Last year we needed a lift & KK gave us that, this year in the madness we need common sense & it looks like Joe is going to give us that.

JFK isn't just communicating, he's singing like a canary.

He comes across well when he speaks. Last year we needed a lift & KK gave us that, this year in the madness we need common sense & it looks like Joe is going to give us that.

lets wait till the first game has been played yeah. But I agree he's making all the right noises

First I was stunned by the fact Kinnear was put in charge, and I was expecting nothing to get better. Now, with the way he's talking. That has changed to cautious optimism about his to-be short-ish spell in charge.

Guest toonlass

I tell you what, go to the official nufc site and watch the interview with him on nufc.tv. There is no doubting after watching that, that he wants to do well while he is here. He is postive, optimistic and seems determined to do the best he can while he has the job. He says something like "I want to walk away with my head held high" and that is something to be noted. He seems sincere and really wants to do well.

The only thing that concerns me is that the players might not appreciate everything that goes on in training being made public. Having said that, they were doing fuck all when it was being kept behind closed doors so what the hell.

Kinnear took exception to reports that queried the logic of Newcastle’s first-team players having Monday off. In the first five minutes of his comments to written journalists, he employed 50 expletives, describing reporters as “c***s” and “so f***ing slimy”, but his threat to curtail media operations at a club who have been crippled by a lack of communication would appear questionable.

“I will stand up and fight for myself in any corner,” he said. “You’re not going to f*** me off or frighten me in any manner. Whatever you do, or whatever headlines you run, you’re not going to embarrass me. I’m not going to stand for it. I’ve come up here for a simple chance to f***ing prove myself. Get off my back and let me get on with my job. That’s all I ask. F***ing hell.”

From the Times

What a fucking legend.

Kinnear took exception to reports that queried the logic of Newcastle’s first-team players having Monday off. In the first five minutes of his comments to written journalists, he employed 50 expletives, describing reporters as “c***s” and “so f***ing slimy”, but his threat to curtail media operations at a club who have been crippled by a lack of communication would appear questionable.

“I will stand up and fight for myself in any corner,” he said. “You’re not going to f*** me off or frighten me in any manner. Whatever you do, or whatever headlines you run, you’re not going to embarrass me. I’m not going to stand for it. I’ve come up here for a simple chance to f***ing prove myself. Get off my back and let me get on with my job. That’s all I ask. F***ing hell.”

From the Times

What a f***ing legend.

Class and fair play Joe  :thup:

At first I thought he was just going to tow the club line but he does seem to be saying whatever the hell he likes.

Its either a cunning act because really, he has no need to get so worked up about it all

At first I thought he was just going to tow the club line but he does seem to be saying whatever the hell he likes.

Its either a cunning act because really, he has no need to get so worked up about it all

There's really nothing wrong with having pride in what you do.  :angel:

There's really nothing wrong with having pride in what you do.  :angel:

Oh I agree. I just had visions when he arrived that he would have been well drilled on what he was to say and how he was to act.

From the Times

What a fucking legend.

It's quite nice having a bolshy get in charge of things, even if it is only for a month or two. :)

Hopefully he's ruffling a few feathers in the dressing room too.

Guest Heneage

Hes stopping them writing stories by being honest.

Id hope the 3 Spanish speaking lads will become fluent soon Jonas seems fluent Colo and Gonzlaez I dunno ,but from speaking to Marwood Jnr Xisco speaks a bit already.

Guest Heneage

I can quite see him getting the players up for it. Seems a good guy, I thought David Johnsons interview on Sky was quite sly and dis-honest.