Getting a proper fright

ross magoo

It happened to me tonight.

I was playing 5-a-sides and the ball broke loose at chest height.  My mate on the other team went to head it as I went to hoof it clear.  He got there first and my foot wiped his face out breaking his nose.

Immediately after it happened I looked over him to see if he was OK.  He was lying motionless with his eyes shut, blood pouring from his nose and mouth and he was choking on his own blood.

Thankfully he was up on his feet within minutes but I got the fright of my life and I can't get the image out of my head and I can't forget the feeling of my foot hitting his face.

Has anybody else ever seen something like that and had trouble forgetting it?  How long does it last?

Yes. I nearly died in a serious RTA in July 2007, and I will NEVER forget it, or fully recover from it all. A lorry went into the back of me at a roundabout knocking me unconscious and I woke up to the sound of being cut free from the wreckage. That was frightening enough, but I got off lightly, tbh compared to others caught up in it all and the legal process that ensued has been even more horrific and seemingly endless.

And I'm left with ongoing injuries and a sense of injustice clouding the rest of my life.

Sorry, but you did ask. :undecided:

Guest lankybellwipe

Can't say I have Ross, but that must be heavy guilt there!

All I can say is, the blame is not yours, but simply a contact sport misdermeanour!

Chin up!

Friend of mine had an archery set when we were kids. We used to take it out to the park and shoot the targets until it got boring. I remember one particular day, we were shooting the target near a pond. When it was my turn, they went over to the pond (behind the target). First few arrows found their mark in the target, but I'll never forget the arrow that got away from me and headed directly for my friend's head. A true slow motion moment, I can still see it whizzing along for his skull before it leaned off to his right. Velocity was more than adequate to kill him on the spot. I remember not being able to say a god damn word while watching that arrow.

Guest lankybellwipe

Friend of mine had an archery set when we were kids. We used to take it out to the park and shoot the targets until it got boring. I remember one particular day, we were shooting the target near a pond. When it was my turn, they went over to the pond (behind the target). First few arrows found their mark in the target, but I'll never forget the arrow that got away from me and headed directly for my friend's head. A true slow motion moment, I can still see it whizzing along for his skull before it leaned off to his right. Velocity was more than adequate to kill him on the spot. I remember not being able to say a god damn word while watching that arrow.

Mike!

Rather than make funny remarks, you must have SHIT yourself !

I would have

O0

Broke my mates foot playing football, luckily it was in the school holidays. I nearly got the same guy's cat run over when I left the front door open and it sprinted out into the road, luckily the car slowed down enough for it to get across.

Guest lankybellwipe

:lol: LBW, man... I'll never forget it.

Total respect to my/and forum guys brother!

You be the man Mike!

And for all my silly piss-takin, let me say, here and now..........

Your presence would cast a dark hole should you leave!

BIG UP TO MIKE AND ALL THAT OUR WESTERN FRIENDS HAVE FOUGHT FOR!!

Guest Heneage

I know when I broke my wrist. I could feel it wasn't right. Id also thought i'd broke my ankle in a game after someone went Keane on my leg for celebrating a goal I'd just scored.

Swam out to a buoy (not boy!) and me and my mate struggled to get back, every 10 yards we would swim a wave would come in and drag us back another 15, we did both say to each other at one point we weren't going to make it back.

Also decided to swim across a lake with my clothes on for a laugh, got half way and really didn't think I could make the rest. Getting to the other side was the best (and shattered) feeling.

Lesson for the day, don't see how far you can swim and get to a point where you feel you have gone as far as you can but then need to swim back! :D

Swam out to a buoy (not boy!) and me and my mate struggled to get back, every 10 yards we would swim a wave would come in and drag us back another 15, we did both say to each other at one point we weren't going to make it back.

Also decided to swim across a lake with my clothes on for a laugh, got half way and really didn't think I could make the rest. Getting to the other side was the best (and shattered) feeling.

Lesson for the day, don't see how far you can swim and get to a point where you feel you have gone as far as you can but then need to swim back! :D

On holiday in Lanzarote a few years ago, the tide was deceptively strong which wasn't a problem for me because I'm a strong swimmer but my Grandma (there was only me and her were on the holiday, I was only about 16) went in and got gradually swept out. I went to help her back in but wasn't strong enough to get us both back against the tide while trying to keep her head above water and scream for help. Eventually a lifeguard from a local hotel and an English guy who lived on the island came to help and managed to get us back to shore. My Grandma was in hospital over there for about three days and had to have her lungs pumped.

Still shakes me up a bit when I think about how far out we were (it seemed like miles at the time, at least a hundred yards or more I bet) and how close we came to dying - I was physically fine and could probably have gotten back on my own but there was no way I would have left her out there.

Guest Gemmill

Broke my mates foot playing football, luckily it was in the school holidays.

:lol:  Yeah, that sounds like a real stroke of luck?!

I know when I broke my wrist. I could feel it wasn't right. Id also thought i'd broke my ankle in a game after someone went Keane on my leg for celebrating a goal I'd just scored.

Your life must have flashed before your eyes.

Broke my mates foot playing football, luckily it was in the school holidays.

:lol:  Yeah, that sounds like a real stroke of luck?!

We play for a team so he didn't miss any of the season was what i was getting at. :razz: