Kevin Davies

Guest eyeball_tickler

Guest eyeball_tickler

NEWCASTLE are lining up a double transfer window swoop for strikers David Nugent and Kevin Davies.

Toon boss Glenn Roeder knows he must land some more fire-power in January.

Preston's England U-21 star Nugent, 21, is one of the Championship's most feared hitmen and has attracted interest from a host of top clubs.

And Roeder sees Bolton's Davies, 29, as the type of player who can fill the huge void left by the retirement of Alan Shearer.

Roeder said: "Everyone knows where we need strengthening but I will not give my hand away by revealing who we are after.

"Hopefully, money will be available to bring in the players we need."

The Magpies do not have a lot of money to spend after announcing losses of £12million last week.

But they are negotiating with the FA over compensation for Michael Owen's World Cup injury and that cash will help fund their rebuilding plans.

Roeder also hopes to land defenders Matthew Upson, Wayne Bridge and Lucas Neill

bluesigh.gif if we get him then we will be relegated

Guest Anders Rye

Am I the only one who actually like Kevin Davies? But with our economy and need of defenders, I can only see us getting 1 striker.

Who knows there may be some truth in this as all 5 have contracts that run out within the next 18 months or less so we'd theoretically (no doubt we'd get fleeced like we usually do, especially from Bagpuss) be able to get them on the cheap.

I think he's more likely to go back in for Viduka rather than Davies, I presume one of those and Nugent will be replacements for Luque and Ameobi while he has his operation.

Bridge would be an excellent signing, don't really want Upson and I can see Neill going to Liverpool.

Guest Invicta_Toon

as if we could afford 5 players without offloading anyone

who the hell is going to pay anything for anyone on our books?

Who plays upfront for the Reserves and Juniors - none of them worth a shot?

Troisi is apparently in good form - but the fact Luque was on the bench yesterday instead of the young Aussie indicates that even the Spanish wastrel is a better (realistic) option

Would love it if we got Nugent. But i think i'd rather have Viduka than Kevin Davies... besides - i doubt Sam Allardyce would sell him and i doubt he would come to us. I'd be shocked if we didn't go back in for Viduka... he hasnm't been brilliant this season and his contract runs out at the end of the year. Boro will want to get £1/2m for him while they can.

I've been raving about Nugent for ages. Great player and would be well chuffed if we got him.

Bridge, Upson and Neill would be an insanely good improvement on our defense.