Beckham a wanted man

Skirge

Looks like Beckham is wanted by both Spurs and Celtic, I hope to god this does not make Fred more determined to bring him here just because other clubs are looking at him.

Mind he would probably do well in the SPL, but I bet posh would want him to take the Spurs offer and go  to London, wonder if that would make Lennon look at a move away.

Celtic boss Gordon Strachan is considering an audacious bid to lure David Beckham away from Real Madrid.

Beckham has grown frustrated with his lot in the Spanish capital, with new Real chief Fabio Capello preferring Jose Antonio Reyes on the right-hand side of midfield.

The former England captain said recently that he would consider his future in January if he is still warming the bench and his comments have placed a number of managers on red alert.

Spurs chief Martin Jol said on Saturday that he would fancy bringing Beckham to White Hart Lane, but the Dutchman could face competition from north of the border.

"I have David's telephone number," Strachan told The Sunday Telegraph.

"He is a wonderful player who is very fit and could play at the highest level for another three years.

"I know he would not go to another club in England."

and

Tottenham manager Martin Jol has revealed that he is considering making a bid for former England captain David Beckham.

Beckham has slipped down the pecking order at Real this term and his future in the Spanish capital has been cast into doubt.

The midfielder has shelved contract talks with Real while he is kicking his heels on the bench and admitted recently that he would consider moving on if his situation does not improve.

Beckham's situation has alerted a number of clubs and Jol has confirmed the 31-year-old has come under scrutiny at White Hart Lane.

"I'll sit down and have a think about it tonight (Saturday)," Jol is quoted as saying in the Mail on Sunday.

"We are well covered on the flanks already. It's a difficult one.

"We've got Wayne Routledge, although he is on loan, plus Hossam Ghaly and Aaron Lennon."

We are in a no win situation, the more pressure we put on Fred to leave the more he will feel he needs to please us, he likes to try and do that with so called "big named" players Beckham is that type of player.

I said in a previous thread Spurs and possibly West Ham would be his likely suiters along with us, but being capital teams, they would be his preffered choice, nevermind stick insect spice.

I reckon if WHU get this takeover done before Jan, he'll end up there. A former WHU trainee, fitting way to end his career in what could be a great period for the club.

Guest NUFC-Babe

Would be great to get Beckham, he is fit and would sell loads of shirts!  :lol:

Not sure he would want to sit on spurs' bench so off to west ham or us  :thumbs:

I think beckham would be a mistake.  He's just looking for someplace where he can get back into the England team and get up to 100 caps.  Once he's done that he won't bother his arse.  Hope he signs for Ceptic so I can hurl abuse at him when he comes to Tannadice  bluelaugh.gif.  We've not had a good hate figure up here since Gazza played for Rankgers.

I said in a previous thread Spurs and possibly West Ham would be his likely suiters along with us, but being capital teams, they would be his preffered choice, nevermind stick insect spice.

I reckon if WHU get this takeover done before Jan, he'll end up there. A former WHU trainee, fitting way to end his career in what could be a great period for the club.

He was a Spurs trainee, admittedly always turning up in a manu shirt. :roll:.  He came from Leytonstone which was just up the road from the bingo club.

No plans to piss Lennon off, but there could be space for Beckham as Lennon often plays on the left during a game and started on the left yesterday and stayed there all match.  Might not have won but Lennon's play impressed, and more importantly, Lennon enjoyed it on the left too.  Plans for Lennon to play wide left regularly in the future could mean a space for Beckham or SWP, both are being rumoured currently.

Normally as a player gets older, they can compensate for losing a bit of pace and stamina by an increase in their ability to use their football brain. Which is the problem with Beckham.

Beckham's never been blessed with pace.  Sheringham was no slower today than he was at Spurs about 15 years ago! :lol:

Still think Beckham will go to the MLS although I think he could do a lot for Spurs' youngsters the same way Davids is doing right now. 

Normally as a player gets older, they can compensate for losing a bit of pace and stamina by an increase in their ability to use their football brain. Which is the problem with Beckham.

Beckhams footballing brain along with his mamouth energy are his biggest pluses!

Beckham's never been blessed with pace. Sheringham was no slower today than he was at Spurs about 15 years ago! :lol:

Still think Beckham will go to the MLS although I think he could do a lot for Spurs' youngsters the same way Davids is doing right now.

Okay, pure pace has never been the issue with Beckham, but at his peak he was a great athlete. His work-rate and energy through 90 minutes was a big asset. In that Champions League final where he was storming around, winning challenges right at the very end, he tipped that game in Man U's favour. He can't produce a game like that any more.

But as I said, an older player can often compensate for a physical decline by a shrewder awareness of how to make a telling contribution. I just don't think that's happened with Beckham. He still seems to approach games like a headstrong teenager.

The definitive modern Beckham performance for me was the Northern Ireland world cup game. He had his chance playing in the middle with Lampard and Gerrard, and just ended up banging the ball over their heads all game, because that's what he does best. That sort of performance is why neither McClaren nor Capello want him any more.

Beckham's never been blessed with pace. Sheringham was no slower today than he was at Spurs about 15 years ago! :lol:

Okay, pure pace has never been the issue with Beckham, but at his peak he was a great athlete. His work-rate and energy through 90 minutes was a big asset. In that Champions League final where he was storming around, winning challenges right at the very end, he tipped that game in Man U's favour. He can't produce a game like that any more.

But as I said, an older player can often compensate for a physical decline by a shrewder awareness of how to make a telling contribution. I just don't think that's happened with Beckham. He still seems to approach games like a headstrong teenager.

The definitive modern Beckham performance for me was the Northern Ireland world cup game. He had his chance playing in the middle with Lampard and Gerrard, and just ended up banging the ball over their heads all game, because that's what he does best. That sort of performance is why neither McClaren nor Capello want him any more.

Agreed he was shabby against NI but I think he still has a lot to offer wide right.  Probably too much competition at international level for him, though I would still include him in the squad as the experience he offers may come in useful.  If he joined Spurs as a RW, that would allow Lennon to go to the left, something Lennon would be happy with.  The other alternative for Spurs is don't bother with Beckham and simply sign SWP for the right instead.

As I said before, I think it's all academic as I think Beckham will join the MLS.

Guest robertbobo

I think beckham would be a mistake.  He's just looking for someplace where he can get back into the England team and get up to 100 caps.  Once he's done that he won't bother his arse.  Hope he signs for Ceptic so I can hurl abuse at him when he comes to Tannadice  bluelaugh.gif.  We've not had a good hate figure up here since Gazza played for Rankgers.

When Gazza played for Rangers you were in the Premier league.

By the time Beckham arrives you'll have dropped a league :)