Owen to miss Mackem and West Brom games

Guest toonlass

This is one of the reasons I'm a bit meh about Owen leaving next year. When he's out with injury it's usually for a substantial amount of time, rarely for a minor tweak or niggle although I hope he proves me wrong on this one. He's done well on the injury front recently to be fair, but when it's all added up, the injury record, loss of pace and high wage demands I'm not sure it's a package we need beyond this season.

He's still a top player obviously but it's becoming a bit like the Henry situation at Arsenal. When he leaves and we buy a striker next season the team might develop in a positive way assuming we can bring some quality in.

:idiot2:

We've nowhere near the quality Arsenal have, replacing Owen will be 100x as hard for us as it was for Arsenal to replace Henry. The whole Henry thing was his arrogance and his holier-than-thou demeanour. Owen is absolutely nothing like that and is our one gem on top of a huge pile of average.

Do you think Owen seriously wants to stay here unless he's offered stupidly high wages? If I thought he really, really wanted to be here rather than somewhere else I could probably justify offering him a bundle and hope he stayed fit. As it is I'm not fussed if he goes.

For a player like Owen at this stage in his career, I think the short to medium term prospects of the club will come into it far more than wages IMO.

This is one of the reasons I'm a bit meh about Owen leaving next year. When he's out with injury it's usually for a substantial amount of time, rarely for a minor tweak or niggle although I hope he proves me wrong on this one. He's done well on the injury front recently to be fair, but when it's all added up, the injury record, loss of pace and high wage demands I'm not sure it's a package we need beyond this season.

He's still a top player obviously but it's becoming a bit like the Henry situation at Arsenal. When he leaves and we buy a striker next season the team might develop in a positive way assuming we can bring some quality in.

:idiot2:

We've nowhere near the quality Arsenal have, replacing Owen will be 100x as hard for us as it was for Arsenal to replace Henry. The whole Henry thing was his arrogance and his holier-than-thou demeanour. Owen is absolutely nothing like that and is our one gem on top of a huge pile of average.

Do you think Owen seriously wants to stay here unless he's offered stupidly high wages? If I thought he really, really wanted to be here rather than somewhere else I could probably justify offering him a bundle and hope he stayed fit. As it is I'm not fussed if he goes.

For a player like Owen at this stage in his career, I think the short to medium term prospects of the club will come into it far more than wages IMO.

Probably true, but as our prospects are ropey short to mid term I think we'll be saying adios to li'l Mikey.

Look all in all this Owen thing hasn't worked out great for us. I'm not saying it's all his fault either. He's had his fitness issues and we are still a bloody mess as a club.

The man's contract is up and we are about to start over anew again. No better time to part ways. If we can get someone in who is willing to invest in the squad, then we have to go out there and find another striker and let Owen be.

Martins is a decent threat already. We need to go and get him a more ideal partner and ust let Owen go. Someone needs to come in and put in the work to find the right striker. It won't be easy but it's the right time to do it.

He's made of biscuits tbh.

No surprise really, still disappointing though. Martins is more important to us though so him being back in contention would make up for losing Owen.

Duff actually looked good for Ireland last night. A lot more nippy than he's looked for a long, long time. (OT I know, but I can't be arsed finding a more relevant thread)

No surprise really, still disappointing though. Martins is more important to us though so him being back in contention would make up for losing Owen.

Duff actually looked good for Ireland last night. A lot more nippy than he's looked for a long, long time. (OT I know, but I can't be arsed finding a more relevant thread)

Did I actually just read that?

Did I actually just read that?

Well you seem to have replied to it.

So probably, yeah.

If Owen misses the Derby I think we're up shit creek without a paddle.

Martins will only be half fit at best, theres no way you can come back several weeks early and play to the best of your ability so we'lll be relying on owen getting fit. Without them its hard to see where we are getting a goal or two and with a worldclass defence like ours well......

Then again Shola's done it before.

If Owen misses the Derby I think we're up shit creek without a paddle.

Martins will only be half fit at best, theres no way you can come back several weeks early and play to the best of your ability so we'lll be relying on owen getting fit. Without them its hard to see where we are getting a goal or two and with a worldclass defence like ours well......

Then again Shola's done it before.

Greatest username ever.

We have 3 pages on this thread and counting. It just shows many don't trust his commitment I think. He's our best attacking player imo but there is a mistrust between him and us and it seems to be a question of whether  we can ever believe he is committed to our cause. I've seen him play his ar5e off for us whenever he's on the pitch tbh. But I think if Shearer had pulled up with a dodgy knee during an international break (in which he hadn't played) there wouldn't be the same discussions going on. 

Guest TinoInHiding

Not a chance he will be back in time for Sunderland most likely back for the mid-week game against West Brom I would expect.

How do you know this?

Kinnear: "Michael, unfortunately, will not be fit in time for Sunderland and, of course, that's a blow to lose a striker of his calibre."

"I think Tuesday's game against West Brom will also come too soon so Aston Villa in ten days time is now the target."