Corners

La Parka

to be fair, its incredible professional footballers struggle to beat the first man on set pieces. You can understand the odd one, but when its time and time again its really unacceptable.

I agree to an extent but having taken many many corners in my lifetime (in slightly lesser leagues :razz:) it is a fine line between taking the perfect corner and over/under hitting it.

Thats why so many hit the first man.

to be fair, its incredible professional footballers struggle to beat the first man on set pieces. You can understand the odd one, but when its time and time again its really unacceptable.

I agree to an extent but having taken many many corners in my lifetime in (slightly lesser leagues :razz:) it is a fine line between taking the perfect corner and over/under hitting it.

Thats why so many hit the first man.

definately. However, these guys are playing at the top level. You dont get any higher. They are paid incredibly good money to work there arses off to perfect things like set pieces.

One of the most tragic things about our current team.

Everytime we get a corner it's almost an advantage to the other team, as the first man usually clears it and all of a sudden they are breaking on us while all our defenders are in their box! It's crazy.

Every manager we have had recently was guilty of continuing to allow N'Zogbia and Milner to take them for some reason. They continued to make a mess of them time and time again with no change being made.

Guthrie took a few that were veautifully flighted in, but then he never took anymore and it was Zoggy and Geremi time and time again. Geremi at least occassionally gets one right, but not nearly enough still.

One of the few things that Allardyce got right was his preference for inswinging corners. Since he left we are using thm much less, but they allowed us to pose a threat from set pieces as we aren't the biggest team by a long shot. Inswingers give the smaller guys to nip in front of a defender and glance one in.

Guthrie Id say. N'Zogbia and Geremi are both woeful.

Actually, it was a Guthrie corner that gave Martins our goal at OT on the opening day of this season.

Martins nearly got another goal in that game from another Guthrie-corner.

Geremi should be allowed to take corners or free kicks.  Cant understand why he suck so badly on free kicks and corners, when he is so good at crossing the ball in play.

Guthrie should take the corners. Is Barton any good on corners and free kicks?

Geremi should be allowed to take corners or free kicks.  Cant understand why he suck so badly on free kicks and corners, when he is so good at crossing the ball in play.

I disagree. His corners may be atrocious but his free kicks into the box are excellent, especially looking for Owen

Guest Stephen927

I know they're looking for that perfect spot, but surely when our corner takers have hit the first man a few times, they should just look to float one in towards the penalty spot, just to try and vary it.

Wish we had a quality set piece taker, even just for training sessions just to show a few of them how to flight a good ball into the box. Would also help loads when it came to practising defending corners.

Agreed. I know they apparently try to put all sorts of whip and spin on the ball but it bongles my head that we can have ten or more corners and only one arrives in a decent area. It's like they can't even float them in there.

Edit - Stephen. :thup:

The other thing is, if we're struggling to clear the first man every time, why not at least try something like putting Taylor on the front post to try flick them on? We don't even seem to try things like this, preferring to just fail over and over again.

Agreed. I know they apparently try to put all sorts of whip and spin on the ball but it bongles my head that we can have ten or more corners and only one arrives in a decent area. It's like they can't even float them in there.

Edit - Stephen. :thup:

The other thing is, if we're struggling to clear the first man every time, why not at least try something like putting Taylor on the front post to try flick them on? We don't even seem to try things like this, preferring to just fail over and over again.

Agreed. Agreed. Our corner system really does defy logic.

Infuriates me every time Guthrie isn't there taking them. I've seen him take about three corners for the club, and we've scored from two and grazed the bar with the other. Madness how he isn't taking them, tbh - it's not as if he's a threat in the box, is it? ???

this,

i could knock balls into the box just over the head of the first man all day, no problem.

Agreed. Geremi is a quality crosser of the ball in open play (just look at Owens first goal Vs mackems last season). It just bugs me so much how he cant take a good set piece. OK, he has the occasional good one but thats bout it tbh.

I wish we had Nobby back...  :weep:

Guest Stephen927

We definitely need to simplify our corners. Focus on beating the first man and just getting it into the area, see if we can't force some mistakes. It's not necessarily about having the height, it's about having the jump on the opposition defender, something which if practised enough can be a useful tool.