The "Classic" vs "Modern" thread

ChezGiven

The idea of this thread is quite simple. There are loads of things in life that are considered to better in their "classic" phase than in their "modern" phase.

For example, as a kid i loved a bit of Hip Hop; Eric B and Rakim, De La Soul, Young MC, Kid'n'Play, Sugarhill Gang, Tribe called Quest, Digital underground to name a few.

Now, i know a few of these artists are still knocking about but nowadays i just think Hip Hop is, i dont know, a bit shit really.

Therefore, Classic Hip Hop >>>>>>> Modern Hip Hop. There's a few of you on here who like Hip Hop, see if you can convince me otherwise?

Also, can you name the best 'classic' and the best 'modern' within you own defintions?

Feel free to propose another 'classic' vs 'modern' e.g. cars etc.

Theres a lot of good modern stuff out there but its pushed underground most of the time as commercial rap and rnb etc is just easier to make and sells better. Old school is better though without a shadow of a doubt. Even a lot of my favourite modern artists have an old school sound to them.

Theres a lot of good modern stuff out there but its pushed underground most of the time as commercial rap and rnb etc is just easier to make and sells better. Old school is better though without a shadow of a doubt. Even a lot of my favourite modern artists have an old school sound to them.

Modern Hip Hop is dead imo.

Not if you know where to look.

QFT. Most of the artists that I listen to now have a definite 'old-school' vibe about them, and my iTunes or whatever is filled with artists from the 60s and 70s (moreso than 90s and 00s).

Modern > Classic for cars in general for me. Much rather the new more streamline shapes than old fashioned box cars. A mates dad bought a 1966 Jag for £15,000 a month or so ago, obviously likes his classics. It is really nice and in mint condition, but I just couldn't spend that much on a car when you could get a decent second hand A3/Golf etc...

Flogging a dead horse now, whitey killed it.

agreed

can;t stomach hip hop nowadays apart from Immortal Technique. I still listen to my Tupac, The Roots, Goodie Mob, (old) Cube, and the occasional NWA and WTC

agreed

can;t stomach hip hop nowadays apart from Immortal Technique. I still listen to my Tupac, The Roots, Goodie Mob, (old) Cube, and the occasional NWA and WTC

Huh? The Roots are still going very well indeed.

Most of what masquerades as mainstream modern metal is dire. Like anything, you need to do some digging to find the quality modern acts.

Yeah, this, again. It's a pet hate of mine when people write types of media (particularly music) off completely, without looking a little deeper to find the real quality hidden behind the commercial and the mainstream.

It's worth the effort. And even then I prefer today's "mainstream modern metal" to the mainstream metal of the early 00's and the late 90's.

Most of what masquerades as mainstream modern metal is dire. Like anything, you need to do some digging to find the quality modern acts.

Yeah, this, again. It's a pet hate of mine when people write types of media (particularly music) off completely, without looking a little deeper to find the real quality hidden behind the commercial and the mainstream.

Good point. :thup:

I used to be very narrow minded, only listened to black/death metal.

Good point. :thup:

I used to be very narrow minded, only listened to black/death metal.

I'll listen to anything if it is good, and I'm well aware that a lot of the music I listen to isn't exactly well known or to everyone's taste.

If it's popular, well known but decent I don't have a problem liking it either. That's an absolute rarity though sadly. The problem with modern rap/hip-hop is that the commercial market is saturated with so much shallow music in my opinion. It wasn't always like that, in the 90s a fair degree of the best material around was also some of the most popular, most obviously with 2Pac.

Nowadays though you've got people like Soulja Boy who give the entire hip-hop game a bad name.