Will the DOF structure get two clubs relegated in one season?

Parky

No, and this hatred of th DOF structure is just stupid and misplaced. The DOF system was working fine at Spurs until they sold their best players, and it was working fine here imo until the manager quit. (The reasons for this seem to be more of a lack of relationship/communication than any "structure"). Parky, Levy is the equivalent of Ashley/Mort at Newcastle, while Comoli is the position of say Dennis Wise. Comoli is in charge of players going in and out and all that. Generally Spurs fans are angry with all parties at the way in which things have gone over the past two seasons, not because they are confused about who did what.

how exactly had the DOF system been working well for spurs? they finished 11th last season, 1 place above us.

From my knowlegde, the DOF system has been in effect at Spurs since 2004, when Jol and Frank Arsenen were brought in. Comolli replaced Arsenen when he f***** off to Chelsea. In 2004-2005 they finished midtable. In 2005-2006 they finished an agonizing fifth after they swung low at the sweet Marriot. They finished fifth the next season also. Obviously in the last two years things have gone completely insane. However, one cannot discount the fact that they still won a major domestic honour last season and are competing UEFA Cup for another year.

I hardly think the DOF thing at Spurs as the same as it was here, btw. I think it's more of a case of them just having a f***ing massive cash injection tbh. It doesn't take a footballing genius to go out and identify David Bentley, Luka Modric and Roman Pavlyuchenko as decent players. Have they found a Jonas, Xisco, Gonzalez or a Bassong - ie, relative unknowns? Genuine question, cos they seemed to have just bought a load of class players cos they've got loads of cash.

This might be a bit short-sighted, i don't know the ins and outs of it, it's just what it looks like really. I think it's more the manager's fault for not getting them to work, rather than the recruitment team f***ing up - it's not as if they're picking the team. I think every club in the league was jealous of their signings in the summer.

Like i say, i don't really know, but that's what it looks like. The Spurs DOF thing has always been lost on me.

Haven't Spurs had a negative net transfer spend this window?

Guest optimistic nit

No, and this hatred of th DOF structure is just stupid and misplaced. The DOF system was working fine at Spurs until they sold their best players, and it was working fine here imo until the manager quit. (The reasons for this seem to be more of a lack of relationship/communication than any "structure"). Parky, Levy is the equivalent of Ashley/Mort at Newcastle, while Comoli is the position of say Dennis Wise. Comoli is in charge of players going in and out and all that. Generally Spurs fans are angry with all parties at the way in which things have gone over the past two seasons, not because they are confused about who did what.

how exactly had the DOF system been working well for spurs? they finished 11th last season, 1 place above us.

From my knowlegde, the DOF system has been in effect at Spurs since 2004, when Jol and Frank Arsenen were brought in. Comolli replaced Arsenen when he f***** off to Chelsea. In 2004-2005 they finished midtable. In 2005-2006 they finished an agonizing fifth after they swung low at the sweet Marriot. They finished fifth the next season also. Obviously in the last two years things have gone completely insane. However, one cannot discount the fact that they still won a major domestic honour last season and are competing UEFA Cup for another year.

everton have done better in that time with much less investment. they had limited success (5th place isn't really a success but whatever) but a good system will give consistent improvement. the fact that they have gone completely insane over the last couple of years should be a clue that the system is not working.

I hardly think the DOF thing at Spurs as the same as it was here, btw. I think it's more of a case of them just having a f***ing massive cash injection tbh. It doesn't take a footballing genius to go out and identify David Bentley, Luka Modric and Roman Pavlyuchenko as decent players. Have they found a Jonas, Xisco, Gonzalez or a Bassong - ie, relative unknowns? Genuine question, cos they seemed to have just bought a load of class players cos they've got loads of cash.

This might be a bit short-sighted, i don't know the ins and outs of it, it's just what it looks like really. I think it's more the manager's fault for not getting them to work, rather than the recruitment team f***ing up - it's not as if they're picking the team. I think every club in the league was jealous of their signings in the summer.

Like i say, i don't really know, but that's what it looks like. The Spurs DOF thing has always been lost on me.

Dunno, that's not my point. Cash injection maybe wasn't the right word, but they've had money to spend, haven't they - obtained through whatever means. And like i say, it doesn't take a genius to pick out the likes of Pavlyuchenko, Modric, Corluka, Dos Santos, Bentley, etc.

IT'd be damning evidnece if it were to happen but I cant say that I'd be completely sold on the idea that the DOF was 100% responsible for the situation. I just dont see the difference between a DOF system and an old school chairmen.

If you can get the right men for the job who are wiling to cooperate with each other - then the sytem could be extremely fruitful. Unfortunately the british game isnt geared towards cooperation.

everton have done better in that time with much less investment. they had limited success (5th place isn't really a success but whatever) but a good system will give consistent improvement. the fact that they have gone completely insane over the last couple of years should be a clue that the system is not working.

Everton are not lighting up the place this year but whatever. I don't see how you can say the system isn't working now based on a season and eight games, when three seasons differ with this but ok. Everton have done alright for themselves but even they have struggled. Do not forget that they also had a 17th place and 11th place finish during the regime of Moyes. What is to say Spurs cannot do what Everton did a comeback with a vengeance next season. Even stil, Everton have realised they will have to invest if they want to keep up. That is why they have splased 12 million on Yakubu and 15 million on Felliani. Even Villa have spent a vey large sum of money.

I hardly think the DOF thing at Spurs as the same as it was here, btw. I think it's more of a case of them just having a fucking massive cash injection tbh. It doesn't take a footballing genius to go out and identify David Bentley, Luka Modric and Roman Pavlyuchenko as decent players. Have they found a Jonas, Xisco, Gonzalez or a Bassong - ie, relative unknowns? Genuine question, cos they seemed to have just bought a load of class players cos they've got loads of cash.

This might be a bit short-sighted, i don't know the ins and outs of it, it's just what it looks like really. I think it's more the manager's fault for not getting them to work, rather than the recruitment team fucking up - it's not as if they're picking the team. I think every club in the league was jealous of their signings in the summer.

Spurs supporters realise now that the DOF thing they have is a camouflage for buying and selling on players at a profit, hence why the first team is suffering now. This is where it fucks up proper building of a side and it looks like Ramos had little say, cause it is clear they didn't get what they really needed.

They've got a net negative points total as well.

Virtually unrelated, but people won't like this - Newcastle probably will get relegated in our lifetime, and we will have to live through it, as will fans of all clubs. For those to whom it does not happen, you are probably people who witnessedMcKeag and Westwood anyhow.

If we get relegated it will be because the manager pissed off, not because of the structure.  If the manager had stayed and worked under the structure then we would not have gone down.

and he pissed off because ?

you're not so desperate to defend Ashley [and we know why] that you are going to blame Keegan ?

New depths of ignorance from you.

Everton are not lighting up the place this year but whatever. I don't see how you can say the system isn't working now based on a season and eight games, when three seasons differ with this but ok. Everton have done alright for themselves but even they have struggled. Do not forget that they also had a 17th place and 11th place finish during the regime of Moyes. What is to say Spurs cannot do what Everton did a comeback with a vengeance next season. Even stil, Everton have realised they will have to invest if they want to keep up. That is why they have splased 12 million on Yakubu and 15 million on Felliani. Even Villa have spent a vey large sum of money.

yawn.

All the clubs with a DOF are at the bottom of the league, while all the clubs at the top have a manager who runs everything to do with the playing side.

End of.

That's what I was about to post, think the same.

I believe the system can work if the personnel are right for it.

Exactamundo. I don't resent Keegan, and nor do i resent the system at all - i think it definitely works as far as quality recruitment is concerned. But KK was never the right man to appoint, if this was the system. Destined for failure.

There's still lingering question marks over what tipped Keegan over the edge - ie - did he quit (at that point) cos Wise/Ashley were signing/selling players without his permission? We'll never know the answer to that.

But as far as the system goes - with the right personnel, then yeah, it'll be spot on. But someone with as much pride, confidence and - tbf - ego as Kevin Keegan was never going to be the right man to work in correlation with the transfer setup. It needs a yes-man that's just a good trainer/motivator/tactician.

The only way I can see this structure working in the long-term is if the DOF works under the manager, basically as a glorified chief scout . Managers pick the team and they should have the right to sign players they want and not have players brought in over their heads. We'll not go down though, Spurs would have to get seriously fucked to go down, West Ham is a real possibility imo.

you pinched my description from about 2 years ago at least

are you Baggio ?

I hardly think the DOF thing at Spurs as the same as it was here, btw. I think it's more of a case of them just having a fucking massive cash injection tbh. It doesn't take a footballing genius to go out and identify David Bentley, Luka Modric and Roman Pavlyuchenko as decent players. Have they found a Jonas, Xisco, Gonzalez or a Bassong - ie, relative unknowns? Genuine question, cos they seemed to have just bought a load of class players cos they've got loads of cash.

This might be a bit short-sighted, i don't know the ins and outs of it, it's just what it looks like really. I think it's more the manager's fault for not getting them to work, rather than the recruitment team fucking up - it's not as if they're picking the team. I think every club in the league was jealous of their signings in the summer.

Spurs supporters realise now that the DOF thing they have is a camouflage for buying and selling on players at a profit, hence why the first team is suffering now. This is where it fucks up proper building of a side and it looks like Ramos had little say, cause it is clear they didn't get what they really needed.

Which players have been bought and sold at a profit though? Keane was sold for a daft price which even Liverpool fans are questioning. Berbatov has been itching for a move for over a year now. Was it really such a bad deal to get £50m for the pair?

are you Baggio ?

:cheesy:

Which players have been bought and sold at a profit though? Keane was sold for a daft price which even Liverpool fans are questioning. Berbatov has been itching for a move for over a year now. Was it really such a bad deal to get £50m for the pair?

Nearly all Spurs sales have been for a profit over the last 2/3 seasons.

They take a leap of faith with the likes of Kaboul and Dos Santos cause a major factor is a re-sale price rather than first team urgency.

It is looking increasingly like a bad idea.

If we get relegated it will be because the manager pissed off, not because of the structure.  If the manager had stayed and worked under the structure then we would not have gone down.

you're not so desperate to defend Ashley [and we know why] that you are going to blame Keegan ?

Do you think we would have been in danger of relegation with Keegan at the club?  I don't think we'll be relegated anyway but I answered the original question that was asked.

yawn.

All the clubs with a DOF are at the bottom of the league, while all the clubs at the top have a manager who runs everything to do with the playing side.

End of.

You know I don't mean to offend you sir, but you really do come off as an idiot sometimes. So, according to the this particular league table in October of this season, you can draw that all DOF's are bad and all traditional British managerial systems are good. Good on you. You have proven that you have the logic and reasoning of a young child. You cannot dismiss what has happened before, because what has happened in the first eight matches of a season ffs. I mean it defies common sense. How can you attribute Spurs' October league position to the DoF, but not attribute their fifth place finshes and Carling cup success. That is like me saying Keegan, despite all his earlier success is a s*** manager because he only picked up 3 points in his first eight matches here in his second spell.

yawn.

End of.

You know I don't mean to offend you sir, but you really do come off as an idiot sometimes. So, according to the this particular league table in October of this season, you can draw that all DOF's are bad and all traditional British managerial systems are good. Good on you. You have proven that you have the logic and reasoning of a young child. You cannot dismiss what has happened before, because what has happened in the first eight matches of a season ffs. I mean it defies common sense. How can you attribute Spurs' October league position to the DoF, but not attribute their fifth place finshes and Carling cup success. That is like me saying Keegan, despite all his earlier success is a s*** manager because he only picked up 3 points in his first eight matches here in his second spell.

This is the great disadvantage of DOF systems. They can be judged only on their most recent results, while earlier successes are stricken from the record. In this they differ from what we might call the Freddie Shepherd System, in which recent performance is ignored entirely in favour of stuff that happened four or five years ago when the system was at its transitory peak.

You know it makes sense!  O0

I hope you type quick because however long was spent on that post will have been wasted, Baggio. 

correct. Keegan wanted the glory all to himself, and when he couldn't have it all, he made sure he slipped out unnoticed

correct. Keegan wanted the glory all to himself, and when he couldn't have it all, he made sure he slipped out unnoticed

:lol:

Do you think we would have been in danger of relegation with Keegan at the club?  I don't think we'll be relegated anyway but I answered the original question that was asked.

and I'm asking you why, because you jibe at Keegan, why he pissed off ?