Is this the worst Newcastle side for 28 years?

cp40

We need 2 new strikers at least and rid of Shola.

We can't write Xisco off and both Owen and Martins are good players (so's Viduka but chance would be a fine thing). I'll not pretend the strikers are playing well but at the moment, the main problem is comfortably the midfield. We're not creating chances, not getting any moves going, just failing miserably in everything a midfield is there for.

I don't think any of our current strikers will be here next year except maybe Alan Smith. Owen is gone for sure. This is Shola's last stand. I have an inkling that Martins is tired of this and will probaly want to go. Viduka should f*** off and play in the A-League, and Xisco didn't really sign up for all of this.

I've seen worse NUFC sides - no question. What disappointed me today was that some of our players just didn't seem up for it. Not good enough in that respect. I'd have thought JK would have had them fired up. :-/

JK is picking names like Duff, Butt and Geremi who probably seemed like good players in his time.

JK is picking names like Duff, Butt and Geremi who probably seemed like good players in his time.

Keegan did the same until the penny dropped.

Nonsense statement Mick. Both managers have selected these players out of necessity. (The highpoint of Keegan's reign, the Spurs match, featured goals from Butt and Geremi infact.) Luckily it seems that the days of Butt and Duff in the starting XI are coming to a swift end. I have no problem with Mr. Njitap.

Keegan did the same until the penny dropped.

It takes a while for new managers to realise the reputations are sometimes bigger than what they actually produce on the pitch.

Nonsense statement Mick. Both managers have selected these players out of necessity. (The highpoint of Keegan's reign, the Spurs match, featured goals from Butt and Geremi infact.) Luckily it seems that the days of Butt and Duff in the starting XI are coming to a swift end. I have no problem with Mr. Njitap.

I was referring to Keegan playing Smith and Duff who didn't play and we started winning, they both played when we lost to Liverpool.

If that useless c*** Kinnear had an ounce of courage and played the best team out of the players available we'd have very likely won that match.

He paid them far too much respect and f***ed up big style. It's why he'll never get a job of this stature full time.

This! he certainly did fuck up big time. Sooner we get a proper Manager the better.

Certainly one of the worst in the Premiership era. The squad has been patched together without any sort of thought towards the type of football we are going to play. I couldn't tell you our best XI and I don't think anyone at the club has a clue either.

The two good periods we've had in the Premiership are when we've had eleven players who are the best in their own positions in a specific formation and when one in out, someone else comes in. At the moment, we have to shove square pegs in round holes, change formations, move players from where they are settled. It's just a total mess.

The real worry for us is that the bottom of the Premiership looks much stronger than last year - the three promoted clubs all have more about them than usual (Hull are home and dry already tbh), Wigan are much better and won't go down, ditto the mackems, Spurs will probably get themselves out of it, Bolton and Fulham look more capable than last season. We need to start picking up points - I want a minimum of eight from WBA, Villa, Fulham and Wigan. No excuses.

A good post, Wullie - agree with most of this.

Some really poor sides in early 80s and the side relegated in 77-78 was also poor.

This team is, as I said on my post about the game, is only half-built and it shows ; there are crucial problems all over the field, but most critically, in midfield(no dominating player or pace)and up front(no decent target man, Martins too erratic, Owen too often injured).

The side is unbalanced and lacks real motivation - these qualities, even more than lack of many quality players, get sides relegated...uncertainty off the field can be a killer, as it was in 1977, so things need sorting out quickly, but the financial climate is against it.

the midfield is comfortably the worst we've ever had in the premiership to be fair

Faye & Clark were by far and away worse tbh, and we somehow won a derby 4-1 with that winning formula.

faye and clark were hardly a regular partnership tbh which was what I was getting at mate

and those two were joined in the midfield by N'zogbia and Solano, not Geremi and fucking Duff

the midfield is comfortably the worst we've ever had in the premiership to be fair

Faye & Clark were by far and away worse tbh, and we somehow won a derby 4-1 with that winning formula.

faye and clark were hardly a regular partnership tbh which was what I was getting at mate

and those two were joined in the midfield by N'zogbia and Solano, not Geremi and f***ing Duff

If Barton had been available this season, and Gutierrez fit, I don't think that would have been our first-choice midfield either.

Although I do agree with your point. Fact is, one of their weakest links was the central-midfield area with Yorke & Whitehead, yet we were even worse.