How the f*ck do i know whats wrong with my Xbox?

Decky

My xbox keeps freezing in the middle of me playing a game. I thought it was the hard drive and was near buying a new one, but how do i know its not the DVD drive or something? This is a pain in the arse! Has this happened to anyone else? Basically it freezes randomly, like yesterday i was about to shoot someone on Far Cry, as soon as i shot the game froze, later i was driving around a corner and the game just froze. It isnt just Far Cry though its every game, although COD4 multiplayer is strangly working fine.

It sounds like RROD is on its way. If I were you I'd just keep using it until it does. I know the freezing is annoying as it's what my console did for a week before the RROD arrived. I found the returning of my console to Microsoft pretty painless. It went to Germany and back in 10 days. They replaced the motherboard and the DVD drive under the 3 year RROD warranty. Unless you want to buy a new console you may as well send it to Microsoft to be fixed (once it RRODs).

Id love the RROD tbh, at least then i know i could get it fixed for nothing. Im worried its the dvd drive and ive to fork out for a new one.

Try leaving it turned on for a good few hours, maybe while downloading some demos. That's how mine finally RROD. Also, I'd advise taking a photo of your console with the RROD. Mine was intermittently coming up RROD. At least with a photo it's proof for their RROD warranty. Also if it RRODs mention that you have had disc read errors from day one of owning the console and they may replace the DVD drive free of charge (they did with mine). The only pain with returning your console is that you have to find a box to send it to them in (not your original Xbox 360 box as you don't get it back).

Go to http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/ then 'Support' then 'Registration & Repair'. If your console is over 1 year old it will say it is out of warranty but RROD is covered by a 3 year warranty.

This link was handy when mine RROD: -

http://www.theaveragegamer.com/2008/05/11/how-to-get-your-red-ring-of-death-rrod-xbox-360-repaired/

My xbox doesnt have an hdmi port. Is there anyway I can overcook it or something and can send it in with a RROD and get an hdmi one? Only had it for 6 months or so though

I seriously doubt they will send you an advanced version as a replacement....

My xbox doesnt have an hdmi port. Is there anyway I can overcook it or something and can send it in with a RROD and get an hdmi one? Only had it for 6 months or so though

Ok. People have just been telling me thats the way to do it.

Bastards...

Decky mate you are speaking to the expert here.

Wrap you r360 up in THREE towels, switch it on and I garuntee you that it will RROD in about 30 mins due to overheating.

Then you can simply ring Microsoft and get a whole new inside to your console.

REMEMBER to wrap it up properly (covering the fan is a must) but dont forget to keep an eye on it incase something sparks but really there is a very remote chance of that happening.

:thup:

Bastards...

Pretty sure they'll send you the newer models as long as they're the same spec. You don't pay extra for an HDMI port.

Bastards...

Pretty sure they'll send you the newer models as long as they're the same spec. You don't pay extra for an HDMI port.

Nope. They only send you a replacement console if they can't fix your console. With my console they replaced the whole motherboard and DVD drive so I don't know how broken the console has to be to get a replacement one. Also, you don't get a new console as a replacement if they can't fix yours. You get a refurbished machine. You could end up with an older model than your current console.

Everytime i sent mine away with 3 red lights i got a brand new console back

Maybe they've run out of refurbished consoles as the new ones don't RROD anywhere near as much as the first consoles?

The official Microsoft line is that you get your console repaired or a refurbished console. Getting a new console three times may just have been luck. My console was fixed in September.

Wrap you r360 up in THREE towels, switch it on and I garuntee you that it will RROD in about 30 mins due to overheating.

REMEMBER to wrap it up properly (covering the fan is a must) but dont forget to keep an eye on it incase something sparks but really there is a very remote chance of that happening.

Mine just gets two red lights when I do that which isn't covered by the warranty.

Mine just gets two red lights when I do that which isn't covered by the warranty.

I think mine did too but they replaced it, I just told them I had 3 red lights.

Turns out im still in warrantly, the warranties must have changed to 2 years standard:

Warranty Status: In Warranty

Warranty Type: Standard

Warranty Start: 8/1/2007 10:14:00 AM

Warranty Expiration: 7/31/2009 7:59:59 PM

Turns out im still in warrantly, the warranties must have changed to 2 years standard:

Warranty Status: In Warranty

Warranty Type: Standard

Warranty Start: 8/1/2007 10:14:00 AM

Warranty Expiration: 7/31/2009 7:59:59 PM

I noticed with mine that the Warranty Start date had nothing to do with the date I purchased the machine on, was that the same for you? I guess it was based on manufacture date or something?

They're meant to be 3 years? This was announced a looong time ago.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/05/xbox-360-warranty-extended-to-three-years/

As far as I know the 3 years warranty is only for RROD.